No announcement yet.

Varifocal specs and online suppliers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Varifocal specs and online suppliers?

All very interesting Ian. I shall be glad to hear how the new specs turn out, once you receive them.
    Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/

Comment

My varifocals have arrived; it took three and a half weeks but the wait has, I feel, been worthwhile. From what I can fathom the lenses are Acuform freeform progressives made by a company called Optimize. Being freeform the rear surface of the lenses are digitally cut according to your prescription. I had been concerned that wide field vision would be extremely poor I am genuinely pleasantly surprised at how subtle the loss in quality is to the sides in general. When looking at things closer up there is a sharper drop off in sharpness so it becomes more directional and I was warned with fairly low profiles lenses dictated by the frames I had chosen there would be only a fairly narrow field for intermediate vision, but it seems fine as I type this on my laptop.

When I tried bifocals a few years ago I simply could not get on with the blurry transition from distance to near but with these varifocals I have now that is certainly not a problem at all. I would still not recommend buying varifocals online without a fitting consultation (which I took the trouble of booking with the company's one and only UK high street facility).

Of course being new to varifocals I have no benchmark to compare mine with but overall I'm very pleased so far. Not yet used a camera with them but don't see that as an issue because there is more distance field of view than intermediate or close and cameras are set up generally for distance vision.

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Yup - I'm happy after a day of using my varifocals for the first time. And I didn't even fall down any stairs

Outside the distance view is very good as good as my distance specs in all but the most off-centre view. The transition from distance to intermediate and on to close vision is very smooth and distortion is not a problem.

Reading distance results in a narrow field of sharp view but you really only notice this with wide pages like newspapers and you simply have to turn your head to bring what you want to see into the sharp area.

The intermediate view is not quite wide enough for me to see my 24 inch monitor on my desk sharply from side to side but it's not far off.

Anyway - I'm a convert and the frames I went for are excellent and the whole caboodle was just under £90 including postage. Vision Express wanted about £300.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Good to hear, Ian. It is the need to turn my head for reading that I still haven't adjusted to, so I have a set of reading glasses and use them on the computer (27"), too.
          The last verifocals I got were expensive but included redoing them after the cataract surgery (a big change in the rt lens). I think you got a very good deal on yours.
          Bob

Comment

Hi Ian,
            Congrats. Let me remember you that in no time you will go to bed forgeting to take off you lenses. The movements of your head to the sides will become imperceptible or non noticeable also in no time. Bravo... Horacio

Comment

Working...
            X