Just popping in to say goodbye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just popping in to say goodbye

I think it only fair to let you all know that as of yesterday I have given up photography. All my gear is for sale and a lot as already been sold. Reason for this is I am just not shooting what I want anymore and find it harder and harder to do so and I just do not want to be stuck in a rot. This is not a snap decision but something I have been thinking for a long time now. I have really enjoyed my time on here and it has been one of my favorite sites to post on but all journeys must come to an end and this is mine as far as photography goes. I would like to say thanks to everyone who took the time to look at my photos and make comments over the years good or bad Its been a fun ride.

I wish you all the best in the future and would like to say a big thanks to Ian for running such a great site and all the hard work that must go in to running it.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petebphotos/

Re: Just popping in to say goodbye

i don't actually know what to say, other than being totally shocked!
    obviously not a decision you've taken lightly, but all i do when i get tired of photos is to walk away from it for a while and just shoot what i want to shoot. obv a bit late for that now for you.....
    Dave
    http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

Originally posted by devilgas View Post
      i don't actually know what to say, other than being totally shocked!
      obviously not a decision you've taken lightly, but all i do when i get tired of photos is to walk away from it for a while and just shoot what i want to shoot. obv a bit late for that now for you.....
      Yes a few people have been shocked but like I said I have been thinking of this for a long time now. I have just found I am going backwards in what I am/was doing and really feel/know that it will not go forward in the way I would have liked.

Comment

I'll miss your pictures, Peter, but I can fully appreciate how you feel.

Why not get yourself a small p/s or a reasonable bridge camera and just carry it around so you can take snapshots as and when you see something interestng or funny. Just simple snapshots of everyday life that you can look at and enjoy.

No need to be showing then to anyone else. Just carry on 'recording' your family and everyday life. Something to shove in a family album and leave for posterity.

I do the above all the time as does one of my sons. We send them off to Photobox for a 6x4.5 or a 7x5 and shove them in a folder. No-one gets to see them apart from us but we have lots of fun poring over them as and when the mood takes us.

You don't need to be a pro to enjoy taking pics, you don't need to be 'progressing' and making hard work out of it.

All the best whatever you decide to do. No need to be a stranger here either. Look in anytime even if it's just to have a peek at the pics and a chat about anything and everything in the 'Did you hear about ... " forum.

Pol
        xx

Comment

Thanks Pol

I may well do something like that the wife even came up with an idea about getting a small camera just for the odd shots, you women are full of good ideas I will pop in from time to time just to see what is going on and maybe just to talk about F1 lol

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
            Thanks Pol

I may well do something like that the wife even came up with an idea about getting a small camera just for the odd shots, you women are full of good ideas I will pop in from time to time just to see what is going on and maybe just to talk about F1 lol
            Good for you! It's about having fun, nothing to prove to yourself or anyone else - just having fun in your own private and personal life

The internet seems to have perpetuated the myth that everyone has to be a dedicated professional and top-notch at everthing - that you have to keep progressing or yer gonna be 'left behind'. Well stuff that - life's too short to take things too seriously.

Pol

Comment

Sorry to hear this.

But if it's not fun then stopping is the right thing to do. However, the cameras on the phones are so good these days, that taking a better picture on those than the people with all the gear and no idea, may just bring the smile back

Best wishes for whatever comes next.
              Graham

Comment

Pol's post, #6, covers it nicely. If you stop enjoying your hobby its time to step back and have a good rethink which you Peter appear to have done. Do consider your wife's suggestion though. A pocket sized camera to use as and when you feel like it may be just what you need.
                I wish you all the best in whatever new venture you take on and look forward to your future visits to the forum.
                -------------------------

Comment

Thanks guys and girls I am pretty sure I will get a small camera just to carry around at odd time if not I always seem to have two phones on me my own and works both with camera in so never really without

Comment

Thanks guys and girls I am pretty sure I will get a small camera just to carry around at odd time if not I always seem to have two phones on me my own and works both with camera in so never really without
                    You'll be missed - but know where you're coming from: if you're not enjoying something, then it's time to stop. Shoot for fun, be it with your phones or a compact.
                    http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Peter and I have been chatting about this on Facebook and I thought he was joking at first. Sadly not!

Peter will understand this but I hope he follows in the footsteps of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, and Michael Schumacher (yes - even MS! ) and he comes back after a break!

Ian
                      Founder/editor
                      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Thanks Pol

Button will blitz-em next year (I hope)

Ian
                        Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                          Button will blitz-em next year (I hope)

Ian
                          You must have a lot of hope there Ian. I have read that the Merc motor and set up may well be the best from the off. Also the Ferrari one is not looking good so I may well be in for another year of hoping and taking 2nd or 3rd as a win

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                            Peter and I have been chatting about this on Facebook and I thought he was joking at first. Sadly not!

Peter will understand this but I hope he follows in the footsteps of Alain Prost, Nigel Mansell, and Michael Schumacher (yes - even MS! ) and he comes back after a break!

Ian
                            Sorry to say that out of those 3 only one made a real come back. Alain was gifted the drive at Williams in 93 after Mansell had been kicked out after winning the championship in 92 and then walked the 93 champioship in a car that was well ahead of the rest. Then Mansell himself could only just about fit into the 1995 McLaren and I hate to say it but Michael was not a patch in the Merc as he was in the Ferrari. But they do say "never say never again" so who knows

Comment

Sorry to say that out of those 3 only one made a real come back. Alain was gifted the drive at Williams in 93 after Mansell had been kicked out after winning the championship in 92 and then walked the 93 champioship in a car that was well ahead of the rest. Then Mansell himself could only just about fit into the 1995 McLaren and I hate to say it but Michael was not a patch in the Merc as he was in the Ferrari. But they do say "never say never again" so who knows
                              'Nige' did win the Adelaide race in 94

Ian
                              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
                              X