Windows 8 and network problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 8 and network problem

I have just purchased a new laptop computer and I want to get it on to my network of three computers and a network hard drive. The computers can see the name of the new laptop on the network but cannot access it. I have set up sharing on the new laptop hard drive but the other computers still cannot access it. Can anyone suggest what I am missing out in the set up.?

Re: Windows 8 and network problem

Do you have a Windows HomeGroup set up on your network, Dennis? Are all your computers running Windows Vista or later? If so you can connect them all easily using Windows HomeGroup.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Hi Ian thanks for reply. The three older computers are all running Windows 7 but the new laptop is Windows 8. Yes I seem to recollect setting up a Homegroup but I have forgotten the name and how to get into it to attach the new laptop. ? I have found out that I have a Workgroup is that the same thing ?

Comment

One one of the Windows 7 computers go to the control panel and open the HomeGroup page (or use the start > search and type homegroup). At the bottom of the page you will see a section titled Other homegroup actions and in that list you will see 'View or print the homegroup password'.

You then need to enter the password in your new computer. I don't know precisely how to do this with Windows 8 as I have not yet upgraded but this page should see you through:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...tart-to-finish

Focus on the section about joining a home group.

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

How are you getting on, Dennis? What is your new Windows 8 machine? Does it have a touch screen?

Ian
          Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by DennisP View Post
            I have just purchased a new laptop computer and I want to get it on to my network of three computers and a network hard drive. The computers can see the name of the new laptop on the network but cannot access it. I have set up sharing on the new laptop hard drive but the other computers still cannot access it. Can anyone suggest what I am missing out in the set up.?
            I did it a few days ago. I just find the home group name and the password given by the computer on the Win 7 PC, and input it on the Win 8 laptop.

yoshi

Comment

Dennis got in touch to let me know he had sorted out the problem.

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Working...
              X