Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 8 - anyone here tried it, or thinking about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Windows 8 - anyone here tried it, or thinking about it?

Originally posted by JSR View Post
    If it's of any interest to anyone, yesterday I successfully installed Windows XP through VirtualBox on my Windows 8 laptop - so it will still be possible to access software that won't run properly in Windows 8. It's also possible to install older Windows (98SE and ME) but they run so slowly that it's not useful to do so unless absolutely necessary.
    Its a shame Win8 doesnt have XP Mode

Comment

Originally posted by 19ninety View Post
      Its a shame Win8 doesnt have XP Mode
      Looks like that was only available for Windows 7 Professional anyway. Anyone using the other editions are not allowed to download it.

You can get Microsoft's Virtual PC - without the XP Mode - for free, and I used a version of it on my Windows XP netbook to run Windows 98SE. (Despite what the naysayers would have you believe, netbooks were capable of such things! ).

I considered it for my Windows 8 laptop but then figured it was easier going for a non-Microsoft solution so that I'm not restricted by what they allow me to do with it (as was the case with their Virtual PC). VirtualBox is, effectively, the non-Microsoft solution to Virtual PC. All you need is your original installation CD, and you're on your way. Most of my XP disks are restore disks, but the one supplied with one of my Dell desktops installed fine.

As mentioned, you can even install older versions of Windows, too. They just run at the speed of an arthritic tortoise with three wooden legs.

Comment

Another issue reared its head today. For some reason, the "Mirror Printing" setting seems to make no difference. Whether that's a driver issue, or a Windows 8 issue, I don't know but it wasn't an issue on Windows XP using the same printer.

I'm now going to have to manually flip my images before printing. Oh, I'm so glad that Windows 8 makes things easier... /sarcasm.

Comment

I'm thinking of doing a tutorial on GoldenYearsGeek.com titled "How to survive Windows 8"
          If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
          GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Originally posted by patmoore View Post
            I'm thinking of doing a tutorial on GoldenYearsGeek.com titled "How to survive Windows 8"
            That could be a loooooong tutorial!

Comment

Sorry to be absent so long. Ski and snowboard racing is in full swing and I managed to contract a doozy of a case of flu. So has the wife. Even the cat is giving us a wide berth.

Found another issue. I keep an old Canon MP150 printer around because it has a pretty good scanner. The print capability died a couple years ago. I use it to scan my drawings and upload them to my commercial site.

I just tried it with the new Windows 8 machine and got an indication that the driver was out of date. I went to Canon's site and they don't have a Windows 8 driver!

Fortunately my wife's printer has a scanner so I have a backup but what a pain!

I got the latest update to START8 and it works great. I haven't even looked at the Win8 interface in weeks.
              GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Update: Just on a whim I downloaded the Win 7 64 driver and it worked!
                GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

I'm still waiting on drivers for my Brother network all-in-ones. Fortunately I can scan from them to my Android phone - just not Windows 8. What kind of world do we live in when a phone is more capable than Windows? What happened?

Comment

• http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Pro-.../dp/B008GRKGXKhttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/buy

Comment

Following up on the above post, I can confirm that Windows 8 Pro does install just fine on our Samsung NC10 netbook. It might not be the fastest booting machine in the world, but it doesn't seem too lethargic once Windows is running.

Of course, I immediately installed Classic Shell. The "tile" interface is completely pointless on a small machine with no touchscreen.

I'll now have to sort out any driver tweaks, given that Windows 8 doesn't exactly make it easy in figuring out what it did install, what it couldn't, and what it installed some "dumb & useless" driver for.

Comment

I have windows eight now for some months now when it first came out,
                        I have found it the best of Microsoft programs since I have had my first computer. My first computer was in 1993 I had just retired ms dos 3.1.
                        The security is one of the features that I like best. I won't go into the ins and outs I must just mention the internet explorer 10 this is so much more responsive and have only had about Four hang ups. Yes I would not go back to vista.

Comment

Originally posted by escallonia View Post
                          I have windows eight now for some months now when it first came out,
                          I have found it the best of Microsoft programs since I have had my first computer. My first computer was in 1993 I had just retired ms dos 3.1.
                          The security is one of the features that I like best. I won't go into the ins and outs I must just mention the internet explorer 10 this is so much more responsive and have only had about Four hang ups. Yes I would not go back to vista.
                          I don't think Microsoft need to worry too much about Vista users. According to http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7...-market-share/ the biggest users of Windows are Windows 7 users (44% market share) and Windows XP users (39% market share). Windows XP users are the ones that will *have* to upgrade to 8 within the next year, and it's the leap from XP to 8 that'll cause most people their headaches. A headache that could have been avoided by simply having the option to deactivate "tile" mode, return the traditional start menu, and make hardware installation a little more transparent. Unlike XP users, Win7 users can stick with 7 for the foreseeable future.

As for Internet Explorer - are people still using that? I haven't used it for years, except when Windows forces me to do so.

I'm not as negative towards 8 now as I was, but that's because I've been through the early days nightmare now and come out the other side. Whether regular XP users would be okay with going through all that would depend on the individual.

I do wish, though, that 8 wasn't as bloated as it is. The install to our NC10 netbook took just under 20GB, which means I can't upgrade my own netbook which has a single 16GB SSD drive. I know Windows 8 would run on it, because it's the same kind of spec as the NC10 (except I have more RAM in my netbook), but I can't install 8 to it because it's so blasted bloated. I still don't get why it needs 20GB of hard drive space just for Windows. If it took less, I'd probably buy in another upgrade disc for that machine. As 8 is so bloated, I'm going to have to leave it running XP and just keep it off the net. Whether I prefer 8 to XP is a non-issue because Microsoft have just made it too bloated to install.

Comment

I have tried all browsers But still come back to internet explorer, windows 7 my wife uses and very good it is in my opinion. I don't use my computer to it's full capacity so I am really not in a position to Judge the full potential.
                            I like windows 8 and will continue to use it unless I discover faults in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by escallonia View Post
                              I have tried all browsers But still come back to internet explorer, windows 7 my wife uses and very good it is in my opinion. I don't use my computer to it's full capacity so I am really not in a position to Judge the full potential.
                              I like windows 8 and will continue to use it unless I discover faults in the future.
                              I switched away from IE because I prefer using a Portable browser - that's one that isn't installed to the machine but runs in an isolated folder. This not only allows you to carry the whole browser (complete with settings, bookmarks, etc) with you to any other computer but it also means the folder can be encrypted in a TrueCrypt volume. The advantage of this latter step means that, in the unlikely event that the computer is compromised or stolen, no one is going to be logging into websites with any log in I may have inadvertently left in place.

If Microsoft allowed Internet Explorer to work "portably", then I daresay I could be tempted back. That's not likely though because they've always maintained that it's an integrated part of Windows that can't be removed.

Comment

In March 2003, Internet Explorer dominated the world browser use stats with 88% usage. Today their market share is only 14.7%. Here are the current rankings:

14.7% IE
                                31.1% Firefox
                                46.9% Chrome
                                4.2% Safari
                                2.1% Opera

Netscape, the one that started it all in 1994 was discontinued in Dec. 2007
                                GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Working...
                                X