burning to cd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: burning to cd

I'm curious to know why you need a new CD after just 20 images? If you are filling 650MB with just 20 images, that's 33MB per image.

A bit excessive unless you are saving uncompressed TIFFs?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

no i dont need a new cd but i cant add to the original without it erasing the first 20. and i dont want to have to keep downloading from day one just the new ones as i take them.

keith

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        HI

i called into PC world today as i had to take a keyboard back my nephew didnt want, and asked the guy on the advice counter and it seems it is becuase i am using CD-R discs rather that CD-RW, im too tired to try now, but thanks for all the help.

regards
        Shouldnt make any difference!
        I only us CD-R discs chopper, they ar much cheaper, and I have no intention of overwriting the backed up pictures.

In fact, I would go as far to say that if you are using the CD's as a back-up, it is safer NOT to use CD-RW.

CD-R are to write the CD's one time only. even if you only put one picture on the CD and take them out, that is pretty much your lot. So my advice would be to put one whole photo shoot per disc. (700mb worth anyway) once they are copied on there, store them away safely.

CD-RW, are re-writable CD's, that is, you put your photos on there, and then, if you choose to, you can overwrite them....this I find a little dangerouse if you have some of your prized photos on there.

Dont lose heart though Chopper, once you have the knack, and have done it a few times, it becomes second nature to back them up on to CD/External Hard drive.

ANy queries, keep posting them on here, I think I speak for everyone and not just myself when I say we are happy to help.
        sigpic

Comment

no i dont need a new cd but i cant add to the original without it erasing the first 20. and i dont want to have to keep downloading from day one just the new ones as i take them.

keith
          Hi Keith,
          If you want to add more images to a CD, when you burn the images "DO NOT FINNISH THE CD" in other words do not "FINALISE" the cd and you will be able to keep adding images till it is full, you then "FINALIZE" the CD so that the images cannot be erased. Your software should guide you with the wizards, or in the help files. If you use Windows XP you can right click on the images on your hard drive and choose "send to" to send the images to the CD burner drive, this method ADDS the images to the files already on the CD. I always use re-writable CDs as I find them more versatile, and when I have transfered to DVD I can re-use the cds, but That is my personal preffrence, ordinary CDs are cheaper and work just as well. I am also burning to DVDs as well for the capacity to hold more images.
          I also use a USB external hard drive to store my images until I want to transfer to CD/DVD, external drives such as these are dropping in price daily and are now a very affordable option.
          Catch Ya Later
          Tinka

Comment

after 3 days and one bottle of whisky i have found that if i do it this way it works

1. download pictures off camera to the software loaded on the computer that came with the camera (ULEAD 8.0)
            2. sort delete etc into specifically named folder (ie xmas 2006) but putting running number in front of name so that they are saved in order
            3. copy that folder to my pictures on C: drive
            4. from my pictures copy to cd-r (which now works doing it this way over and over again) (so no need to have bought new cd-rw disks and ive opened them so i cant take the b******* back) but its keeping pc world in business!
            5. pour another whisky out and insert cd into dvd and watch on slide show on the telly
            6. hoorah

now u r all going to tell me that is too long winded and not the right way to go about it etc but it works ok.

kindest regards

drunken photographer

Comment

now u r all going to tell me that is too long winded and not the right way to go about it etc but it works ok.

kindest regards

drunken photographer

There's no such thing as the wrong way to do it. If it works it's OK so GOOD HEALTH I'll drink to that.

Comment

one question though
                how do i format the disk as i cant find the option anywhere

Comment

one question though
                  how do i format the disk as i cant find the option anywhere
                  If you are using Windows to burn your CD's then I have no idea ether. I've just looked and that's a good question. I can't find it. I use Nero software and that has a button marked format.

Comment

i have sonic loaded but dont use it as it is even more conusing. and it doesnt take much believe me

keith

Comment

I use Nero Burning Suite 7.0, never have a problem. It leaves your CD open by default, so you have to direct it to close one.
                      Steve40.

Comment

is that a free download?

keith

Comment

something else i dont like is the fact that once a file/folder is copied to a disk u cant remove it, or is that me as well doing it wrong?

keith

Comment

is that a free download?

keith
                            If you want a free one go here http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...dburning.shtml
                            you will be spoilt for choice.

Comment

No Nero is not free, and you can't erase a folder or file, unless you are using a CD Re-Writeable. Those cost more than the regular CD blanks, I think about a buck apiece around here.
                              Steve40.

Comment

well i have cd re writables and i cant delete from them either.

i like floppy disks they were so user friendly, small but friendly

keith

Comment

Working...
                                X