E-M1 goes birding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1 goes birding

As the weather was fine I thought I'd have a go down at the local reserve with the E-M1 and Canon 400mm f5.6L. Now this is an amazing lens, considering the design is 20 years old and with the ease of focus on the E-M1 and IQ/low noise it is a dream for wildlife photography. All these were manually focused (including flight shots) and most are taken using the x2 Digital Teleconverter. Magnification was used in some to assist focusing against a busy background but most were taken without. Focus peaking was of little use as it is cancelled when the IS is deployed (on non-native lenses) and IS1 was used for all shots. I am really thrilled that the E-M1's IS is good enough (despite the earlier teething problems I had) to enable handheld photography, including BIFs, using a 400mm lens, especially as MF had to be used (not easy when panning!). If only Olympus could produce a lens like this, f5.6 is bright enough for most wildlife photography - some of these shots were taken at near dusk.

Teal:

Cormorant:

Green Sandpiper:

Greylag and Greylag/Canada Hybrid:

Greylag (some of 700 seen on the trip):

Two Common Gull:

Curlew:

Shoveler:

Mallard:

David

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Re: E-M1 goes birding

Fine weather eh, now that's something I haven't experienced in a while

Time well spent
    -------------------------

Comment

Re: E-M1 goes birding

Great shots.

Comment

Working...
      X