E-M1 and non-native lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-M1 and non-native lenses

As the light has been so bad today it was an opportunity to do some testing of the camera with some non-native lenses. The first was one of my favourites that I originally bought to use on the E5, the Lensbaby Scout Fisheye. Owing to it's great depth of field I have always had problems manual focusing on the E-M5, even using the magnify function, but the superb EVF on the E-M1 enables much quicker and more accurate focus. Likewise with my Tokina 12-24mm Canon mount, but the most striking effect was with my Canon 400mm f5.6L together the Kenko 1.4x with which I could achieve focus so easily that it was also possible to use it handheld. With this lens the use of the magnify function did not appear to be of any advantage and even focus peaking didn't appear to improve results. I am now looking forward to some brighter conditions to get some decent images to post here. This is a real plus for the camera over the E-M5 and not one which seems to have been mentioned much in reviews to date.

David

P.S. Just processed one handheld BIF manually focused with the Canon 400mm f5.6 and 1.4x TC - ISO 3200, 80% crop:

Last edited by David Morison; 21-10-13, 10:13 PM.

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Re: E-M1 and non-native lenses

Thanks for all this valuable insight into your new camera, David

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
    X