What's your favourite lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favourite lens?

Do you have a really favourite lens? A lens that stays on your camera the most, for example? What is it that makes this lens special for you?

This is a question that is quite difficult for me to answer as so many cameras and lenses pass through my hands because of the nature of my work. However, I did enjoy using the Olympus Zuiko Digital 7-14mm f/4 super wide angle lens at the Paralympics - this is equivalent to a full frame 14-28.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: What's your favourite lens?

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Do you have a really favourite lens? A lens that stays on your camera the most, for example? What is it that makes this lens special for you?

This is a question that is quite difficult for me to answer as so many cameras and lenses pass through my hands because of the nature of my work. However, I did enjoy using the Olympus Zuiko Digital 7-14mm f/4 super wide angle lens at the Paralympics - this is equivalent to a full frame 14-28.

Ian

The lens that lives on my Pentax K20D is my favourite - that's the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 DA*.

It's superb across the entire range 50-135mm - so much so that I've even managed to get some excellent crops when the reach wasn't as much as I'd have liked at the time.

Pol

Comment

The most use probably gets Olympus ZD 35mm. It has better quality than the other 2 kit ones I own and focal length is ok for everyday shooting. It could be a bit wider and brighter but for the price it has - there is nothing to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
        The lens that lives on my Pentax K20D is my favourite - that's the Pentax 50-135mm f2.8 DA*.

It's superb across the entire range 50-135mm - so much so that I've even managed to get some excellent crops when the reach wasn't as much as I'd have liked at the time.

Pol

Here is a 7-14 shot @7mm from the Paralympics - in mono:

I think you make a very good point about cropping. While the text books will say frame tight, which is good advice, I do find that I get very acceptable results when cropping even severely when you can't get any closer. But you do need a decent lens to achieve this. Here is one example, again from the Paralympics, where the original frame is 16 megapixels and around 10 megapixels has been cropped out:

Ian
        Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by throt View Post
          The most use probably gets Olympus ZD 35mm. It has better quality than the other 2 kit ones I own and focal length is ok for everyday shooting. It could be a bit wider and brighter but for the price it has - there is nothing to complain.
          That's the 35mm f/3.6 Macro? It's one Olympus lens I haven't used much. The 50mm f/2.0 Macro has had a lot of use though.

Ian
          Founder/editor

Comment

Iv'e got rather attached to or should i say my camera has. a new Nikon AF-S 35mm DX 1.8, nice sharp and great for portraits or landscapes.

My wife outside Wells Cathedral

And a Streetscape

Comment

Comment

My favourite is unquestionably my Zeiss Biogon 35mm f2 on the Leica M8. It's the equivalent of the traditional 50mm full frame and if I take only one camera body and and one lens it's M8/ and Zeiss 35/2

However in the bang for buck league it has to be the Panasonic 14 - 45 on the Panasonic G1.

This shot is the kit lens on auto focus, auto exposure and no fancy pp

Comment

Hehe - a Zeiss on a Leica - isn't there an obscure law against that sort of thing

There are horrid kit zoom lenses and there are rather good ones - the Panasonic one is definitely in the latter category. Nice shot! Damselfly I am guessing?

Ian
                  Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Parr View Post
                    Iv'e got rather attached to or should i say my camera has. a new Nikon AF-S 35mm DX 1.8, nice sharp and great for portraits or landscapes.

My wife outside Wells Cathedral

And a Streetscape
                    Ah, the good old standard lens Often inexpensive and rarely disappointing - and they make you work on the composition, too.

Ian
                    Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by greenguru View Post
                      Some versions of the Series 1 70-200 are renowned but I'm not that familiar with the 70-300. Marvellous camera fodder those Meerkats

Ian
                      Founder/editor

Comment

Comment

Must be my Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6. It's on my Oly E-420 98% of the time! on 2nd place my Chinon 500mm mirror 1:8-16 Telephoto legacy lens, 3rd place my Delemax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Telephoto legacy lens, 4th place my Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Mk.II and on 5th place the Oly Zuiko 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 kit lens.
                          Due to the nature of my hobby, aviation photography, I mostly use the 70-300mm. Although in some cases even 300mm isn't enough. Then it's bigger is better.
                          In These cases I resort to my trusted legacy lenses. Manual operated, maybe not as sharp and fast focusing as a AF digital lens but adequate enough for the job. And... I use all lenses handheld (with a custom made shoulder mount. Similarto the shoulder mounts you could buy in the 1970's and 1980's. Looking like a butt stock of an stengun that is screwed underneath the camera but without the pistol grip).
                          André de Wit
                          The Netherlands

http://eheh0422.webs.com/

Oly E-420
                          Oly Zuiko ED 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
                          Oly Zuiko ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6
                          Oly Zuiko ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6
                          Samyang/Delamax 650-1300mm 1:8-16 Manual Telephoto Lens
                          Chinon 500mm 1:8-16 Mirror Manual Telephoto Lens

Comment

My favorite lens, without a doubt, is the Zuiko Digital 50-200mm Mk I. It is usually on either my Olympus E-520 or E-3, often with the Zuiko Digital EC-14.

Comment

Here are a couple of images that I captured using the ZD 50-200mm Mk I.

With the teleconverter and E-3...

With the E-520 and no teleconverter...

Thanks for looking,
                              Dan
                              Last edited by Dan in NC; 11-09-12, 04:10 AM. Reason: Getting the images posted correctly

Comment

Working...
                              X