Two fast lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two fast lenses

I've just published an article on our sibling site, Four Thirds User, that provides some sample images taken with Olympus' new 75mm f/1.8 medium telephoto. In full frame terms this lens is similar to a 150mm focal length. The lens brightness is also the same as a theoretical 150mm f/1.8, although the depth of field characteristics mean the lens is more like a 150mm f/3.6. But don't sniff - you can still get fantastic blurred backgrounds like this:

Olympus also produces a 45mm f/1.8, or 90mm in full frame terms - pretty much in the sweet spot for portrait lenses. If you maintain the same field of view by bringing the camera closer to the subject you actually get the same depth of field. But the background can look quite different. It's still nicely blurred but look:

Both these lenses are tack sharp wide open at f/1.8, incidentally.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Two fast lenses

The first is very impressive, almost like a 3D pic
    -------------------------

Comment

Thanks Pops - here is a closer frame (uncropped):

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        ... here is a closer frame (uncropped):

Ian
        That's clearly a lens worth having! Such natural colours as well as a fabulous bokeh.

Even her stray hairs show clealy and sharply against that bokeh. Lovely skin tones, lovely colours, everything!

Pol

Comment

In addition to Pol's comments I like the good eye contact in this one.
          I suspect this is a lens to attract any Olympus fan
          -------------------------

Comment

I cannot help but notice that Ian has really taken to portraiture this year.

Hardly surprizing with such excellent lenses becoming available. However I honestly believe that it's not just the Image Quality produced by the lens that is improving.

I too was lucky enough to get to use the new 75mm last week and I am very impressed with the both the IQ and the way it handles. I think it will soon be recognised as a true classic in the way it produces images.
            Graham

Comment

When you have a lens that is this good and a young lady that has such gorgeous eyes, what else is there to do...

Graham

Comment

Working...
              X