Canon 7D Mk2 first images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 7D Mk2 first images

I've had the 7DII for a couple of days now and thought that some may like to hear how I got with testing in the field. To start with the AF system is amazingly complex and customisable and will take me some time and effort to tune to my needs, but so far it appears brilliant. The AF aquires lock-on faster and more reliably than the Mk1 and tracking is excellent, although I have only used the small single point and the centre fifteen of 65 cross type sensors. In addition the noise levels which were pretty bad by modern standards on the Mk1 are very much lower, to the extent that I have been able to disregard noise (apart from very large crops) up to 6400 ISO. I'm only using evaluative metering at the moment but this seems very capable with less exposure compensation needed for subjects such as a dark bird against a light sky. Still a fairly steep learning curve to get the best out of the camera, especially the AF system, but suffice to say that I already feel that I would no longer wish to use the Mk1.

Some early image samples (jpegs as Adobe haven't yet sorted out RAW conversion).

Kestrel using centre 15 with A1 Servo(C-AF):

All others using small single point and One Shot AF.

Brent Goose:

Wigeon pair:

Shoveler drake with Snipe and hidden Teal:

Glossy Ibis:

This camera certainly seems like a big leap forward and I'm looking forward to investigating it's capabilities further - 3 days in Northumbria next week.

David

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)
Working...
X