Upgrading from a Nikon D40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from a Nikon D40

I have a D40 at the moment, the first SLR I've ever had. I've used it a huuuge amount in the last 18 months, and now I feel that I'd like to upgrade. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, about 600 for a camera body plus lens. I don't mind buying second hand, and I don't necessarily want a camera that's new to the market.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what models I should consider? That 'brand loyalty' thing is in the back of my mind, and I'll probably go for a Nikon, but I can probably be easily swayed on that!

The elements that are important to me are:

- At least 10 megapixels. I tend to crop my pics quite a lot, and without interpolation that means that they can end up with a pretty low pixel count,
    - Autofocus motor in the body, not the lens - I find that my choice of lenses is quite limited / they are expensive with the D40.
    - The D90 has a 'movie mode' but that's not something I would use. Stills only would be fine.

Thank you.

Re: Upgrading from a Nikon D40

do you mean image stabilisation in the body rather than autofocus?
    canon IS is currently in the lens. not sure on nik. iirc, sony is body IS.

brand loyalty - a lot depends on how much you've invested in the nikon system thus far. not sure how glass prices compare between can & nik but decent glass doesn't come cheap, but can be used long after the body has been superseded.
    Dave
    http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

I'm pretty sure I mean Autofocus. I think that's why Nikon were able to market the D40 at such a low price when it was first introduced - because the motor is not in the body.

As for how much I've invested - aside from the kit lens, I have one other, that cost about 300. The quality of it's not too good, so I'll be looking to replace that too at some point. If I am able to gain any money from selling the D40, kit lens and 55-200mm lens, then that money can be added to the 600 I have for the new camera.

I also have loads of 52mm filters, but their cost wasn't that great, so it's not the end of the world if I'm unable to use them with the new system.

Comment

Originally posted by ryme-intrinseca View Post
        I have a D40 at the moment, the first SLR I've ever had. I've used it a huuuge amount in the last 18 months, and now I feel that I'd like to upgrade. I don't have a huge amount of money to spend, about 600 for a camera body plus lens. I don't mind buying second hand, and I don't necessarily want a camera that's new to the market.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what models I should consider? That 'brand loyalty' thing is in the back of my mind, and I'll probably go for a Nikon, but I can probably be easily swayed on that!

The elements that are important to me are:

- At least 10 megapixels. I tend to crop my pics quite a lot, and without interpolation that means that they can end up with a pretty low pixel count,
        - Autofocus motor in the body, not the lens - I find that my choice of lenses is quite limited / they are expensive with the D40.
        - The D90 has a 'movie mode' but that's not something I would use. Stills only would be fine.

Thank you.
        I'd not be so sure about the choice of AF motor in the body rather than the lens. This method of AF is not as precise and refined as an in-lens motor and Nikon is moving away from in-body AF motors. Canon and Olympus have always had in-lens AF and everyone else is moving in that direction.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by ryme-intrinseca View Post
          I'm pretty sure I mean Autofocus. I think that's why Nikon were able to market the D40 at such a low price when it was first introduced - because the motor is not in the body.

As for how much I've invested - aside from the kit lens, I have one other, that cost about 300. The quality of it's not too good, so I'll be looking to replace that too at some point. If I am able to gain any money from selling the D40, kit lens and 55-200mm lens, then that money can be added to the 600 I have for the new camera.

I also have loads of 52mm filters, but their cost wasn't that great, so it's not the end of the world if I'm unable to use them with the new system.
          If you are going to stay with Nikon, you could buy a new D60, though that's not a huge step up from the D40. You could consider a second hand D80 or even a used D200; there are quite a few of these around now that the D300 and D700 have arrived. The D200 is an excellent semi-pro model and built like a tank, though it is heavier than your D40.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
            I'd not be so sure about the choice of AF motor in the body rather than the lens. This method of AF is not as precise and refined as an in-lens motor and Nikon is moving away from in-body AF motors. Canon and Olympus have always had in-lens AF and everyone else is moving in that direction.

Ian

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that - thank you.

Thanks also for the advice about possible models to which I could upgrade. Now that the D90 is in production, do you think it's likely that new D80s will fall in price?

Comment

An upgrade from a d40 would be the superb d200, get one new for about 600.
              Similar controls similar menu, an excellent cam without having to learn it all again!
              cheers
              Ash.
              http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

Perhaps, comparing camera ratings might help you find the one you're looking for. It may be a bit cumbersome but the reward at the end might be worth the effort.

Comment

That looks like a useful site, thank you. I should have posted a while ago, though, to say that I bought a Nikon D80, and I'm really pleased with it. I went into a camera store in Bournemouth to ask for advice but the guy was really busy and didn't really have time to go into details with me. So I found another store, and got the opposite response! They were more than happy for me to look at a number of camera bodies and lenses, and talked through the pros and cons of each with me.

I love the D80, I know it's still not a 'pro level' camera, but I can really see the difference from the D40. I've also purchased a 70-300mm lens, and a second hand macro lens, which I'm really pleased with.

Thanks everyone for the advice you offered. I also managed to sell my old kit for 300, so that helped a lot towards the purchase of the D80.

Comment

Working...
                  X