Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RAW moon vs. JPEG moon

Originally posted by easty-uk View Post
    I think the raw moon looks better as it looks sharper, but I like the colour in the jpeg moon better.
    Here's one I took awhile ago using the canon 400mm 5.6L and the 350d. I sharpened it in elements also, but maybe a little too bright.

easty-uk
    Not too bright. Looks very 3-D. Nice pic.

Comment

Hi Easty, that's nice and sharp. In my defence you had the equivalent of a 640mm (400x1.6) focal length compared to my 400mm (200x2) - and a prime too, not a zoom. So yours crop is 4.5% of the frame and mine is about 3%.

I prefer to see more of the detail in the plains, which is why mine is darker and I prefer a warmer tone too - but just personal preference

I will no doubt have another go with a more appropriate lens again in the future!

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      sigpic

Comment

All of the RAW ones give more info than the JPEG which seems almost blurred by comparison. But I would like to know how to identify a "mazing pattern" because although I can see that the last RAW is the best I can't really say why
        "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only stranger than we suppose, but stranger than we can suppose."
        --John Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by spl View Post
          All of the RAW ones give more info than the JPEG which seems almost blurred by comparison. But I would like to know how to identify a "mazing pattern" because although I can see that the last RAW is the best I can't really say why
          Photoshop ACR sharpening, if used excessively, adds subtle mosaic-like 'cracking' of the detail. It's most visible on an LCD display.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          sigpic

Comment

ok I have spotted it but only by saving the images to hard drive and then zooming in on them.
            "My own suspicion is that the universe is not only stranger than we suppose, but stranger than we can suppose."
            --John Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by spl View Post
              ok I have spotted it but only by saving the images to hard drive and then zooming in on them.
              The effect marcof describes will only really be visible at 100% (1 image pixel to 1 screen pixel) which is exactly how my moon was displayed.

Ian
              Founder/editor
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X