Nikon D3 and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon D3 and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens

Last night I was at a local camera club meeting and the guy who has been a photographer for at least 50 years, and was judging a competition for them, showed photos he had taken of the Russian Ballet Company, using a Nikon D3 and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens.

He informed the group that he had not used flash and that the ISO setting for the photos was 6400. The quality of the photos was excellent without even the slightest hint of noise.

Alas, my budget when Iíve saved up all my pennies will only stretch to a D300 which Iím also impressed by.

Brian

PS Next week, Canon will most likely bring out something to rival Nikonís latest models, if not surpass them.

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St Augustine

Re: Nikon D3 and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens

Originally posted by himmelblau View Post
    Last night I was at a local camera club meeting and the guy who has been a photographer for at least 50 years, and was judging a competition for them, showed photos he had taken of the Russian Ballet Company, using a Nikon D3 and the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G AF-S VR lens.

He informed the group that he had not used flash and that the ISO setting for the photos was 6400. The quality of the photos was excellent without even the slightest hint of noise.

Alas, my budget when Iíve saved up all my pennies will only stretch to a D300 which Iím also impressed by.

Brian

PS Next week, Canon will most likely bring out something to rival Nikonís latest models, if not surpass them.

Haha, you are beginning to sound like the proverbial equipment freak Brian. You know the one who has to have the latest model, simply because it is the latest model and must be better cos its new and has a few more whistles and bells. Odd though how you never see an improvement in their photography
    Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Andy Rouse reckons the D3 at 1600 is equiverlent to 200 on the D2X .
      I've seen some pretty awesome high ISO shots coming out of the D3 and it makes me wonder if it's worth either P/A my D2X and lenses for a D3 + 24-70 & 14- 85 , that would be roughly what i have now in DX or keep the D2X and spend 5 grand on what would basicily be a new system.
      I bought the D300 as backup ,but find it's now my main camera , i've even sold my Fuji S5 because the D300 does everything better .
      I'll proberbly wait a month or two so that the prices stablelise but i can see me having a D3 before the Autumn.

B..

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
        Haha, you are beginning to sound like the proverbial equipment freak Brian. You know the one who has to have the latest model, simply because it is the latest model and must be better cos its new and has a few more whistles and bells. Odd though how you never see an improvement in their photography
        Good point you raised Stephen, as that was me in 2006.

Now, after going on the photographic course last year I have a better understanding of the principles of photography and know there is more to be learnt via research, practice and trial and error, the latter as we often learn from our mistakes.

I look at the world differently and find that I am now always looking at something from the prospective of taking a photo that will appeal to people. One drawback I have, is my mobility this pi$$es me off when unable to get to a vantage point which makes for a good photo, instead of a photo that falls into the category of mediocre.

As I have already said, I still have more to learn and am mastering my D200. When I feel my skill levels warrant it and only then will I upgrade to a D300.

Brian
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St Augustine

Comment

Working...
        X