I need some ideas...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNSOLVED I need some ideas...

I haven't done any freelance work for camera mags for quite some time but just recently I was contacted by Amateur Photographer to help them out as they needed a review done of the new Panasonic DMC-G6 at short notice. It will be in the issue out this week, by the way

Now I have have been asked to do a regular feature on selected used kit - cameras, lenses, maybe even iconic accessories. And could even occasionally be a film camera!

Anyway, what would you like to see tested and reviewed that is now considerably more affordable than when it was new?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: I need some ideas...

The better four thirds lenses might be interesting, especially if referred to MFT use.

Comment

I think we're aiming for something a bit older than that in terms of lenses. Cameras could be more recent but no longer current.

Ian
      Founder/editor

Comment

I used Contax film cameras with Carl Zeiss lenses in my pre digital days. I'd love to see how either the standard Planar 50mm, Distagon 25mm or the Planar 85mm f1.4 fair against modern lenses.

Comment

How about some of the better regarded third party lenses from the manual focus film era?

The Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro and the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 are two that come to mind.
          Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Hi Ian,
            Of the old digital cameras that is still being sought after is our old friend the Oly E-1. On that other (dpr) forum is it quite amazing how respected it is. Some folks will put on stabilized Pany lenses to bring that feature on board. Experience printers are still keeping it in their comparison line-ups. The newer RAW developers apparently are improvements at higher ISOs over the originals. Used ones still sell.
            Cult.....Classic.....Quirk Mine is not for sale....
            Are there any others like it?
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
              How about some of the better regarded third party lenses from the manual focus film era?

The Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro and the Vivitar Series 1 70-210 are two that come to mind.
              Yes - the 70-210 Series 1 immediately came to mind although there are several versions and not all are 'premium'

Ian
              Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ross View Post
                Hi Ian,
                Of the old digital cameras that is still being sought after is our old friend the Oly E-1. On that other (dpr) forum is it quite amazing how respected it is. Some folks will put on stabilized Pany lenses to bring that feature on board. Experience printers are still keeping it in their comparison line-ups. The newer RAW developers apparently are improvements at higher ISOs over the originals. Used ones still sell.
                Cult.....Classic.....Quirk Mine is not for sale....
                Are there any others like it?
                Bob
                Not selling mine, either

Ian
                Founder/editor

Comment

I sold my E-1 and have never really regretted it but if I found one at a bargain price I may pick it up.

I had one of the versions of the Series 1 Vivitar and sold it on after a while. I never kept a zoom from my decades shooting film as they were never close to the quality of my primes.
                  Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Many medium format film cameras are now dirt cheap, I know that from what I got for my Bronica ETRSi and lenses! Maybe the basis for an article?
                    John Perriment

A photograph is more than a record of what you see - it's a window to your soul

Comment

Ian, if you consider doing a comparison of manual focus macro lenses from the film era I have an Elicar 90mm f2.5 1:1 lens in OM mount.

If you could get hold of one, a Zenit Photosniper (Zenit plus 300mm lens mounted on a rifle stock) might make an interesting, quirky feature.
                      John Perriment

Comment

John Perriment

Comment

Canon T90, precursor to the EOS family.

Nikon F3, the first battery dependent pro Nikon.

Pentax 67, a medium format camera shaped like a 35mm SLR.

Comment

I had one of the very first ones of those to play with over Christmas in 2000 or 2001 - can't quite recall. The high ISO noise performance was quite amazing although it was slightly spoiled by banding issues. Of course 8fps was great fun too

Ian
                            Founder/editor

Comment

Olympus E-7 would be nice - any news on the rumours ?

Comment

Working...
                              X