• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: An old chestnut

Originally posted by Pol View Post
    I think you're 'Shoppy' (aka Ron).

Am I right?

Pol
    Pol as always, how could anyone hide from you. But I've been around for sometime on the old forum and you didn't find me there. Anyway it's nice to be here in such good company.

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
      Pol as always, how could anyone hide from you. But I've been around for sometime on the old forum and you didn't find me there. Anyway it's nice to be here in such good company.
      LOL ........ I did suspect it might be you on the old forum. I'd never have revealed it though - but you asked me so that's ok. I think there's only me who had the cheek to abbreviate your shoppy nick anyway.

Now get 'carping ' in 'ere and and give us the benefit of yer extensive photographic knowledge and arty-clarty suggestions and techniques. Rufus is very arty - used to do a lot of artistic tweaking with PaintshopPro...... hope he doesn't nip my ankles for telling you.

Pol

Comment

LOL ........ I did suspect it might be you on the old forum. I'd never have revealed it though - but you asked me so that's ok. I think there's only me who had the cheek to abbreviate your shoppy nick anyway.

Now get 'carping ' in 'ere and and give us the benefit of yer extensive photographic knowledge and arty-clarty suggestions and techniques. Rufus is very arty - used to do a lot of artistic tweaking with PaintshopPro...... hope he doesn't nip my ankles for telling you.

Pol
        I'm quietly doing me bit Pol, I've made the top ten in the editing comp. Just hope I don't win or I'll have to let on what cheap software I use.

Comment

Originally posted by lumix View Post
          I'm quietly doing me bit Pol, I've made the top ten in the editing comp. Just hope I don't win or I'll have to let on what cheap software I use.
          Yay - maybe you'll win! I was actually working an image of the door but I got ill with Renal Colic and never finished it.

I don't really think it's important what software you use - it's the end result that matters. I have PS-CS2 and one or two other small applications but my husband won't use them, even though I'm licensed to use it on 2 computers. He prefers using the free version of Picasa and gets the results he wants for himself, so that's fine.

As a matter of act I'm very envious of a few he took yesterday, using his Dynax 5D with a Tamron 28-300 and processed in Picasa. He got some superb candids whilst my own efforts weren't anywhere near in the same league. I was sick as a parrot - his were spot on, pin sharp and exactly what I'd wanted.

Pol

Comment

Yay - maybe you'll win! I was actually working an image of the door but I got ill with Renal Colic and never finished it.

I don't really think it's important what software you use - it's the end result that matters. I have PS-CS2 and one or two other small applications but my husband won't use them, even though I'm licensed to use it on 2 computers. He prefers using the free version of Picasa and gets the results he wants for himself, so that's fine.

As a matter of act I'm very envious of a few he took yesterday, using his Dynax 5D with a Tamron 28-300 and processed in Picasa. He got some superb candids whilst my own efforts weren't anywhere near in the same league. I was sick as a parrot - his were spot on, pin sharp and exactly what I'd wanted.

Pol
            Well I do hope you are better now. Your comments re cheap software, or even free software, are relevant to this Old Chestnut thread. We have discussed this before, it's like you say results are the important thing, not what you use to achieve them.

Comment

I upgraded From a D70 to a D200. was really for the metal body the increase in MP was not a great factor in why i upgraded Can't see myself upgrading again for a few years.
              I was a serial PC upgrader due to my love of PC gaming that has now stopped as ive not had a new PC for 5 years. I do need a new one now as its slowing down abit in its old age.

Andrew.
              My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
                I upgraded From a D70 to a D200. was really for the metal body the increase in MP was not a great factor in why i upgraded Can't see myself upgrading again for a few years.
                I was a serial PC upgrader due to my love of PC gaming that has now stopped as ive not had a new PC for 5 years. I do need a new one now as its slowing down abit in its old age.

Andrew.
                Five year old PC - that really must be slow; are you running XP on it?

Ian
                Founder/editor
                Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
                Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Re: An old chestnut2

Just a test
                  Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                    Five year old PC - that really must be slow; are you running XP on it?

Ian
                    It was the Top spec when i got it. 2Ghz P4 cost me 1400 Its got 1 gig ram. So its just a bit slower than the ones they sell for 300 now. When i do get one in the next 12 months i'll do the same and get the fastest one out there. Runs XP fine.
                    My PhotoBlog

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Thatcher View Post
                      It was the Top spec when i got it. 2Ghz P4 cost me 1400 Its got 1 gig ram. So its just a bit slower than the ones they sell for 300 now. When i do get one in the next 12 months i'll do the same and get the fastest one out there. Runs XP fine.
                      Of course - although my laptop is almost exactly four years old (I bought it just before Photokina in 2002) it was pretty slow even then

But it's (Sony Vaio PictureBook C1MHP) super small and light and has good battery life. It's fitted with the maximum of 400MB RAM and 16MB of that is pinched by the CPU (Crusoe 'software' programmable CPU). It is only really comparable in performance to a 400MHz P3. It came with XP Pro but it's quite sluggish and I can't install Photoshop CS2 on it - I have to make do with Photoshop 7. The screen is amazing - 1280x600 yet only an 8.9 inch diagonal. The original hard drive wore out after two years and I DIY fitted a 60GB 7200RPM Hitachi TravelStar. I'll definitely get another ultraportable when this one finally kicks the bucket. Even today I get people asking me about my Vaio

Ian
                      Founder/editor

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                        A new DSLR, an old chestnut.

What drives us to buy, huh?

I can understand wanting to go from 6 mp 1.6 crop, to 12.7 full frame, (I have to say that. It's in the contract), but 20d to 30d, 350d to 400d?

Isnt this just a big, smelly, gasseous pile of excrement? No?

Why not?
                        i normally upgrade when the current one is either knackered or too restrictive.

first dslr was a 10d
                        it lasted 18 months or so before giving the err99 shutter mech probs
                        had a wedding to do, so bought a 300d as a replacement incase the 10d died completely.
                        300d ended up being the workhorse for about a year, but the 4 shot buffer was just too restrictive for sports and i detested the silver colour!
                        got a good deal on the 350d so bought that. lots better buffer wise and nice quick start up.
                        had the 10d repaired for about 220 earlier this year and now use that again most of the time as the 350d occasionally produces soft results (with a 70-200 2.8L lens!) - it's been back for a waranty repair but no difference on return.

sure, it's a step down in resolution using the 10d, but it gives the best results of the 3 with the 2.8L and is by far the most comfortable to use.
                        Dave
                        http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

The reason for upgrading is, in my case, because there is no perfect camera, There's something wrong with every one. So the endless search for perfection goes on and the dealers get rich and I get poorer.

Comment

I'd rather see some new high quality Pentax/Samsung/Schneider lenses in the pipeline first. I'm cheesed off having to rely on the likes of Sigma and Tamron. I'm not so bothered about 10 mp ..... but I'd like anti-shake and a better buffer - maybe 5fps up to about 10-15 jpgs at the very least.

Sounds like you're a good candidate for the K100 or even the K10D. Pentax is supposed to have some great glass due out after the first of the year, some with ultra-sonic motors. Hang in there. I'm waiting for the final verdict on the K10 before jumping, but will settle for the K100 if the K10 is not everything they claim.

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mudbo View Post

Sounds like you're a good candidate for the K100 or even the K10D. Pentax is supposed to have some great glass due out after the first of the year, some with ultra-sonic motors. Hang in there. I'm waiting for the final verdict on the K10 before jumping, but will settle for the K100 if the K10 is not everything they claim.

Michael

Indeed.

I'm watching and waiting to see the verdict on the K10 and may, or may not, go for it sometime next year. I'll be watching and waiting until the price levels out, also watching and waiting to see how some of the proposed new lenses perform.

Pol

Comment

Working...
                              X