Cameras and Sand........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras and Sand........

Hi all. Will be going around the Sahara desert on a quad bike in May and was wondering if my trusty Canon 1D is "sandproof". I know it's got a magnesium body but not sure exactly how sealed the camera is. Anyone know if it will be alright and also any tips for shooting in the desert if I take it?

Thanks,
    Paul.

Re: Cameras and Sand........

Hard to believe but ..
    if water can get in then sand will
    -------------------------

Comment

The 1D certainly is sealed against dust and water splashes and should be fine with sand. But you should also use a sealed lens otherwise the protection will be incomplete. This usually means an L-series lens. Which lens do you intend bringing?

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        The 1D certainly is sealed against dust and water splashes and should be fine with sand. But you should also use a sealed lens otherwise the protection will be incomplete. This usually means an L-series lens. Which lens do you intend bringing?

Ian
        In my opinion if it's water tight it's sand proof, but as Ian pionts out the lens must also be sealed. The answer is possibly to use a water proof camera cover that also protects the lens, when the camera in in use. There are products available from cheap to the rather expensive that will offer protection, not perfect but better than nothing. Wind may prove the most troublesome element blowing the sand everywhere.
        Also a very good waterproof camera bag to keep the equipment in when not in use.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
        X