Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canon 1D firmware version up : is CF card going to be an old media now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canon 1D firmware version up : is CF card going to be an old media now?

Canon announced firmware version up today and their flagship models EOS-1Ds Mark2 /1D Mark2N/ 1D Mark2 now accepts SDHC cards with 2 GB or more. The version-up also corrected a mulfunction that when in-camera formatting is used for a CF card with 8GM or more, the memory size is not necessarily propery recognized.

Being a non-1D owner my concern is not the version up but which memory media will be the main stream in future.

For those who needs the firmware version up, I guess it is available in any Canon sites. The one I found is;

http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/eosd/farm.html

(this one is for 1D Mk2. But on the same page you can find others as well.)
    yoshi

Re: Canon 1D firmware version up : is CF card going to be an old media now?

Pentax also annouced a firmware version up for *ist DL/DS/DL2/DS2/K100D and SDHC can be used on these cameras after its installation.

Oly also announce a firmware version-up for compact digicams. This version up shotens the lag time after the swich is turned on. This has nothing to do with SDHC but only to their SD card.
    yoshi
    Last edited by Ian; 20-12-06, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Hi Yoshi, thanks for that - I will highlight this in the news.

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi View Post
        Canon announced firmware version up today and their flagship models EOS-1Ds Mark2 /1D Mark2N/ 1D Mark2 now accepts SDHC cards with 2 GB or more. The version-up also corrected a mulfunction that when in-camera formatting is used for a CF card with 8GM or more, the memory size is not necessarily propery recognized.

Being a non-1D owner my concern is not the version up but which memory media will be the main stream in future.

For those who needs the firmware version up, I guess it is available in any Canon sites. The one I found is;

http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/eosd/farm.html

(this one is for 1D Mk2. But on the same page you can find others as well.)
        yoshi
        Stephen has a Canon EOS-1D Mark 2n and I get the feeling he prefers to use the SD card slot as it's a bit faster than the CF slot. The 2GB SD limit did hold SD back in the 'serious' camera stakes, but SDHC is addressing that.

There are no high-speed SDHC cards available yet, that I am aware of, though, so for the time being if you want high capacity and high speed you still need CF. In the future, I think SD could replace CF ultimately in digital cameras.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          Stephen has a Canon EOS-1D Mark 2n and I get the feeling he prefers to use the SD card slot as it's a bit faster than the CF slot. The 2GB SD limit did hold SD back in the 'serious' camera stakes, but SDHC is addressing that.

There are no high-speed SDHC cards available yet, that I am aware of, though, so for the time being if you want high capacity and high speed you still need CF. In the future, I think SD could replace CF ultimately in digital cameras.

Ian
          You are right Ian I always use the SD slot first, but I have an Extreme III in both slots CF and SD slots. The SD is approx twice as fast at downloading to the PC and considerably faster at writing than the CF equiv.
          Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Film has lasted for a century and is still alive although Kodak seems to have decided to discontinue Kodachrome films (I understand that Ektachromes are continued). Fujifilm will definitely continue to be a supplier for films.
            CF card - I donot know how many more years to survive but definitely much shorter life expectancy than films!
            As Canon is the market leader in both dSLR and compact digicams in Japan, their decision has huge influences and this is why I donot like a monopolistic situation - tho I like EOS. Fortunately they are not that strong as Microsoft or Intel.
            yoshi

Comment

I've updated mine and found I was two updates behind. The only noticeable thing for me should be a brighter screen. We shall see, thanks for the heads up though Yoshi
              Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Working...
              X