Microsoft says you didn't use it so you lose it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft says you didn't use it so you lose it

Microsoft us axing a number of its MSN-branded smartphone apps, including Photosynth, an interesting and powerful app for making and sharing 3D panoramas. See:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/photosynth/a...g-retired.aspx

Part of the reason Microsoft says it is retiring these apps is that they weren't very popular with users. Some apps, like MSN Health and Fitness (which I happen to use every day on my Nokia Lumia 930 ) will be killed off altogether but Photosynth will basically continue to work but will be removed from the app stores it has been available from and there will be no more support.

Do you use Photosynth? What do you feel about Microsoft's decision?

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Microsoft says you didn't use it so you lose it

As someone who's just bought his first Windows Phone, I don't know much about their apps - but I have already noticed that some pre-installed apps (such as Health & Fitness) don't work because they've been discontinued.

The biggest issue with Windows Phone appears to be apps. Discontinuing apps, and causing pre-installed ones to be inoperable, doesn't seem like the way to go to address this issue.

Comment

I find it strange Microsoft have dropped their health app as they seem to be used as selling points with others. Can't speak for the Android OS but Apple have health features built into the OS system and use it as a selling point particularly the watch, it is in the phone as well.
      Never actually use it myself but perhaps I should in the light of my recent heart attack.

Patrick

Comment

I just used Photosynth today north of Auckland. It stitched seamlessly. Seems a shame for it go away.
        If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room.
        GoldenYearsGeek.com

Comment

Working...
        X