Ian
    Founder/editor
    Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Re: First Digital Camera

Many thanks Ian and that looks really good indeed.
      Only one thing and I should have mentioned this in my first post and that is that I told him I had a few Compact Flash cards which would get hom started. Could you suggest a comparable model that takes CF cards.
      Sorry to be a pain.
      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
        Many thanks Ian and that looks really good indeed.
        Only one thing and I should have mentioned this in my first post and that is that I told him I had a few Compact Flash cards which would get hom started. Could you suggest a comparable model that takes CF cards.
        Sorry to be a pain.
        Tom
        Memory is cheap Tom, personally I wouldn't let the limitation of using your CF cards stop me from getting a specific camera if it fit the bill in all other respects. I checked out the price of the TZ3 and if you get it HERE You will save enough to buy a 1GB card. BTW Sd cards are in many respects better than CF cards. In my experience they are faster at reading and writing than an equiv CF card
        Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
          Memory is cheap Tom, personally I wouldn't let the limitation of using your CF cards stop me from getting a specific camera if it fit the bill in all other respects. I checked out the price of the TZ3 and if you get it HERE You will save enough to buy a 1GB card. BTW Sd cards are in many respects better than CF cards. In my experience they are faster at reading and writing than an equiv CF card
          Indeed, there are no budget cameras on the market now that use compact flash cards.

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I have always been a big advocate of the Canon A-series cameras, I have recomended these camera to two freinds, and both have been very happy with them.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
              Thanks Stephen and point taken. Indeed memory is so cheap now it is hardly an issue.

Comment

Thanks Ben and Ian
                The spec on that Panasonic is really impressive and Reviews everywhere are positive. So I have emailed some info to my inlaw.
                Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
                  I have always been a big advocate of the Canon A-series cameras, I have recomended these camera to two freinds, and both have been very happy with them.
                  A bit late coming to this discussion, and I know Tom has already sent details of the Panasonic to his inlaw... but I use an A-series, the A710is - if you want to see what type of pictures it takes, they're in my gallery.

I've been very impressed, though haven't actually printed any of the images as yet due to aging printer (yes, Ian, I'm still looking - still broke!)
                  http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                    A bit late coming to this discussion, and I know Tom has already sent details of the Panasonic to his inlaw... but I use an A-series, the A710is - if you want to see what type of pictures it takes, they're in my gallery.

I've been very impressed, though haven't actually printed any of the images as yet due to aging printer (yes, Ian, I'm still looking - still broke!)

You could always send a few off to Photobox for printing. They're quick and efficient and they also produce excellent prints. As a matter of fact I'm working on some personalised greeting cards at the moment and I'll be ordering them along with a load of of prints, all of it for one of my sons.

There's a link to Photobox at the top of the column far right on the DPNow front page

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post

Hello Caz
                      We have had some of the Canon A series in our house and they are really good.
                      What attractive me to the Panasonic is that it seems to be a more point and shoot camera with very unsophisticated settings IE no aperture priority etc and this will suit my relation perfectly. Total simplicity.
                      I will also inform him of other good options and the Canons would be one of them.
                      Many Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
                        You could always send a few off to Photobox for printing. They're quick and efficient and they also produce excellent prints. As a matter of fact I'm working on some personalised greeting cards at the moment and I'll be ordering them along with a load of of prints, all of it for one of my sons.

There's a link to Photobox at the top of the column far right on the DPNow front page

Pol
                        I am a member - but haven't used it yet. I had a test image done by Canon recently of a picture I took of a poppy field. Perhaps I'll buy a new printer when I come back from holiday and have been paid a couple of times! (If something else like failing ABS/problem with servo doesn't rear it's ugly head first....)

And Tom - if it's a simple point and shoot he wants, you're probably right. There is an auto setting on the Canon - I just don't often use it, unless I'm feeling lazy or want to grab a quick shot..
                        http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page" St Augustine

Comment

Panasonic Lumix T23 without a doubt it has a great combination of features , picture quality and extremely versatility.

Comment

Hey tom!! I can recommend you to go for Nikon Coolpix S600 or any other range in Nikon coolpix.They are easy to use and are best for point and shoot. Here's a list of cameras that you can choose from within your range and requirement.You can also read the reviews once you have shortlisted some.

http://www.checkcost.co.uk/digital-c...p/200/mid/155/
                              http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=alpha

Comment

Working...
                              X