• Show
Clear All

• Stephen
    replied
    Re: Pocket Wizard prices

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Kenny - we'll have to nominate you for the big job here in the UK next year

Ian
    Indeed, I'm sure he could do as good a job as the usual family members, unless of course they do it for free. They are said to be concious of the current financial situation.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Kenny - we'll have to nominate you for the big job here in the UK next year

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Stephen
    replied

An absolutely splendid shot John. You are truly a master at the wedding game

Leave a comment:

• kennykodak
    replied

when wireless E-TTL works, it really works. here's a pre wedding hallway shot in a church. main light was a 580 EXII to the left fired in a umbrella controlled by the Flex 5. the fill light was another 580 EXII on camera bounced off the ceiling fired through a shoe mounted Mini.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• USAolyFreak
    replied

Originally posted by devilgas View Post
    why do we pay another 65% ?

I thought We as in US citizens were the only ones getting the shaft, Now I see we are just getting the shaft from Oly. I would gladly send you some PW's as a gift from the US. Based on your exchange rate you will get a good deal.

Leave a comment:

• kennykodak
    replied

talk about silly looking. i have the ac5
    Review

Leave a comment:

• kennykodak
    replied

Pocket Wizard now has a devise that they show as a demo at WPPI that plugs into the hot shore of a Mini. the Mini will still transmit and E-TTL signal to Canon or Metz 58AF-1C flashes connected by the Flex receiver but will also trigger standard non ttl flashes equipped with older Pocket Wizards. these unit will have to be adjust manually with a flash meter but will work in unison.

Leave a comment:

• kennykodak
    replied

it's not uncommon for a "house" photographer to hard wire a venue with radio controlled lights. my problem is that i want to use the Mini - Flex system in a manual mode with my Elinchroms. it does that perfectly but i bought a Pocket Wizard transmitter module for my Sekonic L-358 meter and it does not trip the slaved flash units for metering. all i want to do is stand where my subject is to be, push a button and get a meter reading.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

When I was at PMA last week, Samsung took us to see an NBA basketball match at the Staples stadium in Los Angeles. We watched the LA Clippers narrowly beat Charlotte.

Anyway, next to us was a photographer using a Nikon D3 and he appeared to have a Pocket Wizard fitted. Every time pressed the shutter release, the whole basketball court was clearly flashed. We were half way up the one corner of the stadium in a private box, so he was maybe a hundred feet or more from the play. I guess he was a stadium pro and was linked into a permanently installed array of strobes situated around the court. He was allowed to flash the players during play and presumably they are used to it...

Ian

Leave a comment:

• kennykodak
    replied

installed the pocket wizard module in the Sekonic L-358 meter. i currently can not make it trigger a Flex-5 transceiver.

Leave a comment:

• kennykodak
    replied

i did a father-daughter dance friday night using elinchrom's micros controlled by a pw mini on camera and a pw flex on each mono head. 2 miss fires out of 284 exposures, not bad. since this shoot was on manual using elinchrom, there was no e-ttl sync.

Leave a comment:

• devilgas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• devilgas
    replied

disappointed with the range. tried them in the garden this morning and was only getting reliable triggering with distances of <10m. beyond 10m and there was a rapid drop off in reliability, with no triggering at 12m. i'd seen a report in that there interweb of someone getting reliable triggering at 60m.

so, if you want distance, then it looks like it's the pocket wizards. if distance isn't a problem, then the v4's will do the job.

Leave a comment:

• devilgas
    replied

cactus triggers received today from HK. have only had a very quick play, but so far they have been 100% reliable. i've not tried a range test as yet. will give that a blast tomorrow.
    max sync speed on the 40d (with 550ex) was 1/250th, on the 10d 1/200th/ beyond this the frame is partially obscured. the new pocket wizards can sync at higher speeds, however 1/250th is ample for my needs.

top marks for gadget infinity. i wasn't sure if they were HK or USA based. was hoping the former as anything i've ever bought from the states takes at least 2 weeks to be delivered unless it's intercepted by customs in which case you're talking 4-6 weeks.

so, initial impressions are that they are great bits of kit and well worth a punt at the price.

Leave a comment:

• devilgas
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Do let us know how you get on with them!

Ian
    well, i'm working on the basis that i'll eventually have to splash the cash on the wizards, but thought these'd be worth a punt first as i don't need the mega distances that the PW's allow....20-30m is ample.

i did have some of the cheap ebay transmitter / receiver sets, but other than the very first set i acquired, have been disappointed with them. spent several hours adding aerials of the appropriate length, but that didn't improve matters much.

have never tried the cactus or the PW's, so things should only get better....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X