Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

off camera speedlite usage (moved from General Board)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• off camera speedlite usage (moved from General Board)

Hello all,

I am looking for links to help me on 'off camera speedlite use' - any links would be welcome.

cheers!
    mihir

Re: off camera speedlite usage

Hi Mihir,
    not sure if you are continuously a Canon user but if you are, how about this one. There are also many others, although I could not find Canon official English site.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

yoshi

Comment

Hi Mihir - is there anything specific that you need help with. Maybe we have the answer here?

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Many thanks Yoshi!

Comment

Thanks Ian. I have never ventured in the speedlight zone so far, but am now willing to explore that are for my photography - especially the use of off camera multiple speedlights. Need to read up a bit on what all I require in terms of equipment and technique. Any links would be helpful. Yes - I am a Canon user.

Comment

Re: off camera speedlite usage (moved from General Board)

I think this is an interesting subject - I don't know of any external links but I'm happy to contribute to a discussion here. What kind of scenario are looking at?

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Ian, I am forced to use speedlights for my glass project, where the lighting is really low and unpredictable. It is not possible to use studio lights as they would get in the way of the people working, not to mention the unpredictable nature of electricity. I was thinking of using multiple strobes, off camera of course, to get around my predicament. I have been reading up a bit on triggers, receivers, modifiers etc etc. I wonder if anybody here has hands on experience, and could share some tips and add to my learning.

Comment

a lot depends on whether you want the camera to fully control the remote strobes. you then need to decide if you want radio or wired triggering. if you're after full TTL & radio, then i think(?) you are limited to the latest pocket wizards or the canon infra-red sync thingy. i use manual control with some ebay yongnuo transmitters & receivers.
                a very good resource for off-camera lighting is www.strobist.com
                Dave
                http://www.devilgas.com

Comment

Devilgas - thank you for your suggestion. The pocket wizards are way out of my budget at the moment, and I have been toying with using wireless transmitters and receivers off ebay as well. Ideally, I would like to use as many as 3-5 strobes together to light up the scene, but most of the ones I have seen are 1 x 2 and not more. It is also very unclear if I just buy more receivers, they will work together. I do not want to make the investment, unless I am convinced by somebody who has done this before. I have been going through www.strobist.com and that was my primary reason for exploring this direction. Any idea on how many of these Chinese receivers can be grouped together?

Comment

the receivers are 'coded' by setting a channel number, so, in theory, the maximum number of receivers is limitless.
                    if you can hang on until this evening (when i'm back at home), i can check which ones i bought. i've tried a multitude of transmitters & receivers over the years, but the range has been the limiting factor (allegedly down to the canon speedlite's being quite rf-noisy). that said, i bought mine probably 3 or more years ago, so tech might've changed in that time. the yongs have never let me down, but iirc, the range was far below what they will allegedly provide.

an alternative to radio triggers is to use a wired setup. you'll need the relevant hotshoe adaptors etc. the only problem with being tethered is the fact you ARE tethered. i find the radio triggers give much more freedom.
                    Dave

Comment

Thanks! I will wait for your input. I currently have one Canon 580 exII and a 430 ex, but I am planning on investing in 3-4 cheap Vivitars which are available locally and use them tucked away / off the floor / off a stand etc. The feedback I have received from some other photographers is that they have rarely used more than 2 remote speedlights, and that has me tripping over my decision again and again. I await your input later in the day. Thanks again!

Comment

oh yeah, i actually bought 2 sets of transmitter / receivers so that i had spares. all were set to the same channel number so should either a Tx or Rx stop working it was a case of doing a simple swap out. batteries, iirc, are a 12v car key fob in the Tx and 2 AAA's in the receiver. the battery in the Tx has never been changed and is always on.

another useful function of the yong is that you can use them to remote trigger the camera. they fully support the 2 part shutter button function. i have used this on car rallies to get the same shot from 2 completely different viewpoints.
                        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mihir View Post
                          The feedback I have received from some other photographers is that they have rarely used more than 2 remote speedlights, and that has me tripping over my decision again and again. I await your input later in the day. Thanks again!
                          the important thing with the strobes is that you can select the power. i've not used more than 3 strobes (1 fill, 1 'main' and 1 backlight) at any one time, but it does depend what you want to do with the remote strobes.
                          Dave

Comment

This is beginning to sound better and better already!

Comment

In my project I have multiple subjects - ergo multiple light sources required. I have a hunch this will work. Let me try and borrow receivers and strobes at the shop and test it out before putting down any money!

Comment

Working...
                              X