The homemade twinflash saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The homemade twinflash saga

Hi guys, I've been on a bit of a break waiting for the bugs to show up here. It gets to be a downer when you are all revved up for spring and there is nothing to shoot.

One of the things I messed with to pass the time was work on a twinflash solution. I got really envious of Ian when he was showing off his Oly TF in the slave flash thread but the $800 price tag of it was a bit much to swallow.

I looked on ebay for cheap slave flashes and found some that were $10.99 each shipped. They come with a short bracket and flash mount, put out much more power than my FL 20 and recycle instantly. The one bad thing is there is no power adjustments so I will have too use diffusers for that. Here is that set up on my E 5.

here is a few test shots done at 1-1 macro. (nothing special) These were taken in near darkness.

The next variation was to get a pair of small ballheads off of ebay for $6.99 each and using the brackets and flash mounts, put my pair of Oly FL 50r's for a truly adjustable set up like this.

here is a test shot from it at 2-1 macro. The flowers are half the size of a dime.

The bad thing about this set up is that in the field, it is huge and heavy compared to the foam ring flash I am use to. I often hunt in the bushes and the TF set ups get in the way.

It will take a while to work it all out but I think the $30 or so I spent on the slaves and ball heads will provide some interesting use this season.

Thanks for looking.
    Jim
    The Bug Whisperer

Re: The homemade twinflash saga

Ian
    How I got this here, I have no idea. Please move to proper area. Thanks
    Jim
    The Bug Whisperer

Comment

Very interesting. I too have a lot of old FL-20s that I play with, but not with this level of success.

I keep looking out for some foam to make a foam ring but can never see any.

Thanks for showing us the set up
      Graham

Comment

Graham

Try the hardware for pipe insulation, they may have it there. If not, you could just cut some foam out to fit. My first attempt at the foam diffuser was just a small bar of foam taped to the FL 20's own diffuser.
        Jim
        The Bug Whisperer

Comment

Originally posted by Jimindenver View Post
          Ian
          How I got this here, I have no idea. Please move to proper area. Thanks
          No problem, have moved the thread to the flash and flood lighting board.

I was looking at the FL-50 based solution and I was a bit worried the diffuser domes would direct light into the lens, but I guess you have taken that into account?

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
          X