Testing the Opteka 10x HD Macro attachment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing the Opteka 10x HD Macro attachment

I've used these excellent close-up attachments before on my Olympus cameras with stunning results so I thought it now time to try one on my 7DII. Fortunately I had one already that fitted a borrowed 18-55mm STM lens so I took a few shots of my old Weston Master light meter using an Olympus FL50R flash with a bounce diffuser:

591A7486 by dmorison24, on Flickr

591A7482 by dmorison24, on Flickr

591A7481 by dmorison24, on Flickr

It certainly shows some promise with this kit lens @ 55mm so I am now hoping to find something more interesting to photograph in the garden, a tall order at this time of the year. These images have had a degree of cropping.

Amazingly it only cost me around 18 including postage from the US, a really cheap entry into macro. I do have a dedicated Olympus macro lens which gives superb results but this attachment is light and easy to carry and doesn't require a lens change.

David

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Re: Testing the Opteka 10x HD Macro attachment

I have a set of closeup attachments and get on fine with them. I sometimes use the 4X with my dedicated 90mm macro and it works just fine. A cheap way of getting very closeup
    -------------------------

Comment

Because you don't expect the whole field of view to be sharp on such very close up imagery, these supplementary lenses work very well.

The trick is to keep the composition simple, so that the eye doesn't wander off the main subject of interest.
      Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
        Because you don't expect the whole field of view to be sharp on such very close up imagery, these supplementary lenses work very well.

The trick is to keep the composition simple, so that the eye doesn't wander off the main subject of interest.
        Except that with the Opteka, because of it's 4 element construction, field curvature isn't a problem until the focal length exceeds around 70mm in my experience.

David

Canon 7DII, Sigma 150-600mm Sport, Sigma 18-300mm, Sigma 8-16mm, National Geographic Expedition Carbon.

"It is better to light a single candle than curse the darkness" - Confucius (551479 BC)

Comment

Working...
        X