Re: Tripod Recomendations

Think mine came in a smidge under 80 including quick release plate

jo

Comment

Originally posted by jojo View Post
      Think mine came in a smidge under 80 including quick release plate

jo

I agree. I also agree that yours is a very nice, very capable tripod. We have 2 of them actually and one of them lives permanently under a bed in the campervan for those times when I either forget the Manfrotto (055) or when something lighter and easier to carry would do the job just as well.

The advantages of the Manfrotto are that it's more stable, black and with the facility for an interchangeable head. The only disadvantage, for me anyway, is that it's quite heavy and I sometimes forget to pack the 3-way pan/tilt head as I tend to use the 222 joystick ball head more often.

The colour of the velbon can also be a bit of a disadvantage, though not too much, as the light colour of the legs can be more reflective than black legs. I've used the Velbon safely many times with the large Sigma 150-500mm too, though care is needed to make sure it's set up in a firm and stable location because the tripod isn't as heavy, therefore stable, as the Manfrotto.

The integrated head has always served me well too. It can drift with a long/heavy lens attached - but you can take measures to make sure it doesn't when you're aware and careful about setting up.

We have several tripods around the place but I wouldn't like to be without the Velbon.

I'm not so sure the Velbon would be so ideal for Ben though as it might not be adequate for some of the wildlife locations he uses.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by coupekid View Post
        ok, thanks for all the advice everyone.

I cant believe that no one can recomend a tripod for under 80quid!

The Manfrotto is a very nice tripod, but at 80 quid, plus the head, its a little out of my price range. I have been using a Velbon tripod, which is cheap and cheerful, and served me very well. However, one of the locking legs has now bitten the dust, which after so many years, I dont think is too much to complain about. So maybe, I will look at getting another of the same.

Next time someone wants advice on a cheap car, I will recomend a Ferrari!
        For around 50 you are almost certainly going to have to settle for a tripod with a plastic 'spider' - the bit at the top that connects to the legs. You may even have a head with a plastic mount. All this plastic results in much less stability. Cheaper tripods often need bracing arms and this minimises the versatility of the tripod (getting low by splaying out the legs).

I've bought cheap tripods in the past and have always regretted it. No disrespect, Ben, but I think you don't really know what it's like to use a competent tripod. I'd really recommend finding a shop that has some of the models mentioned here on display so you can see for yourself how much of a difference they make.

Ian
        Founder/editor
        Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
        sigpic

Comment

Blimey Pol, I just bung me 30D on top and off I go! (must admit don't like the wobbly wind-up centre column though)
          jo

Comment

Blimey Pol, I just bung me 30D on top and off I go! (must admit don't like the wobbly wind-up centre column though)
            jo
            I never use that feature - I just raise the legs higher instead.

A raised centre column just makes the set up top heavy and less stable imo, especially if there's a long lens attached.

Pol

Comment

Originally posted by Pol View Post
              I never use that feature - I just raise the legs higher instead.

A raised centre column just makes the set up top heavy and less stable imo, especially if there's a long lens attached.

Pol
              I don't know anything about Velbon tripods these days, its about 40 years ago since I owned one and it was I have to say rather poor. I found wind up centres unsatisfactory, isn't that feature usually associated with video heads?
              As to stability with a heavy lens the Manfrotto can be used with a good spread on the legs (three different points on the one I have), and there is still the old trick of hanging the camera bag under the tripod to increase weight and lower the point of balance.

I also use a lighter model Manfrotto 725B, when weight is a factor. This comes with a none removable quick release ball head (using the same plate has my 141C pan & tilt head) and employs 4 section legs, it is remarkably stable.
              Unfortunately it is still over Ben's 50 budget at around 100.

Patrick

Comment

I have a Manfrotto 785B. You can get them now for about 51 and they throw in a mini tri-pod too.

I will try and find the link to it.

Nice tri-pod by the way, very sturdy indeed and quite light. The head on it is excellent too, you can go wrong really!

Found the link. http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/equ...ipod_11362.php

Here is one for 49 with the free minipod. http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/Product...oryid~158.html

If you want, I can post mine to you and you can have it for a week or so if you want to try before you buy just let me know if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                  I don't know anything about Velbon tripods these days, its about 40 years ago since I owned one and it was I have to say rather poor. I found wind up centres unsatisfactory, isn't that feature usually associated with video heads?
                  As to stability with a heavy lens the Manfrotto can be used with a good spread on the legs (three different points on the one I have), and there is still the old trick of hanging the camera bag under the tripod to increase weight and lower the point of balance.

I also use a lighter model Manfrotto 725B, when weight is a factor. This comes with a none removable quick release ball head (using the same plate has my 141C pan & tilt head) and employs 4 section legs, it is remarkably stable.
                  Unfortunately it is still over Ben's 50 budget at around 100.

Patrick
                  The Velbon 750N isn't too bad - just not really robust enough for rough terrain imho. David also has a Velbon Video tripod somewhere around the place but I never used that one. I think it is (or was) a D700 and I seem to recall one of our sons hammering it when he used to use it at College.

The 750N has an integrated 3-way pan/tilt head and a split column so it can be a handy thing to have around the place for a low level macro and I've also used them for off-camera flash.

It's certainly an acceptable tripod to have around the house and garden as well as on the street - though I'd still avoid using the centre column! I must admit I'd rather have the Manfrotto with me - if David's willing and able to carry it for me. He's a good lad and he's possibly lurking too so I have to say that).

Pol

Comment

(must admit don't like the wobbly wind-up centre column though)
                    jo
                    I hasten to add I don't use that wobbly centre thing - do ya think I'm some kind of amateur or what
                    jo

Comment

I hasten to add I don't use that wobbly centre thing - do ya think I'm some kind of amateur or what
                      jo

'course yer not some kind of amatcha!

One of our sons once wound that wobbly thing right up and off. It was the same son who knackered Davids D700 Velbon video tripod thingee.

They called me a "kit snob" when I got my Manfrotto but I didn't care - I just sat back and watched them argue over who had mucked up the D700 and who was gonna get the 'wobbly thing' back into the centre column of *David's* Velbon 750. Anybody who values their earholes doesn't go within 6ft of any of my kit.

Pol

Comment

Hi Ben ive read a few responses and agree that you would be better spending double and get a tripod that will last you a long time, I understand that you are into nature photography, well a tripod for 50 quid is not going to suit an slr with a big lens on.
                        If its a ball head, which you need, always look at the weight it can handle, an slr with a big lens for wildlife is heavy, bear this in mind.
                        I bought the manfrotto 190 xprob, for 80 quid, I then realised that for a suitable ball head from manfrotto was going to cost nearly the same again.
                        After alot of research I came across a small company that actually manufacture there own stuff. Photoskill produce very substantial quality products at very reasonable prices.
                        I purchased the ps4061 medium ball head, and I am very impressed with the build quality for the money, and will screw directly onto the manfrotto.
                        Here is a link for you:
                        http://stores.ebay.co.uk/photoskill

hope this helps.
                        cheers
                        Ash.
                        http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk

Comment

Hope you don't mind me re-opening this thread.....
                          I need to get a new tripod since the Manfrotto monopod and cheapo tripod I borrow will shortly be leaving when I become newly single again...

I got an email from 7dayshop this morning with the Manfrotto 785B on special offer: http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=104438

However, having weighed my Canon 400d with the 300mm lens on, it exceeds the maximum weight... so have been having a quick search...

Has anyone got any experience/recommendations/don't do it any cost for this one: http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showp...hp?prodid=7224

I really don't want to carry a heavy tripod due to back problems, did treat myself to a new Tamrac daybag because the one that came with the camera was an over the shoulder job...

Any suggestions appreciated for a good, lightweight tripod that doesn't cost the earth!
                          Carol
                          http://carolannphotos.com

Comment

Caz, with the camera and lens setup you mention, a cheap lightweight setup such as the ones you link to maybe just throwing your money away IMO

Consider the Manfrotto 190B with a suitable ball head. Will last you for many years and its not too heavy.
                            Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                              Caz, with the camera and lens setup you mention, a cheap lightweight setup such as the ones you link to maybe just throwing your money away IMO

Consider the Manfrotto 190B with a suitable ball head. Will last you for many years and its not too heavy.
                              I know its not what you are looking for but there are circumstances when a Bead Bag can do the job for you.
                              True you need somewhere to give support and rest the bag, but some photography like wildlife it can be very stable but more flexible in use.
                              I intend experimenting with one on a tripod without the pan & tilt Head which reduces the carrying weight considerably. Jacobs do a lightweight bean bag made from Wax Cloth, over priced but very good quality.

Patrick

Comment

Also, as a lightweight option, the Joby Gorillapod is worth thinking about. I've just taken delivery of the compact digicam version this morning so I can use my G9 on it whilst away on holiday in a couple of weeks time.

I've made a decision not to take my 1D and lenses this time, they are too big and heavy for use in Florida and I'm going to manage with the G9. Actually looking forward to using the G9 with the Gorillapod.
                                Stephen

sigpic

Check out my BLOG too

Comment

Working...
                                X