My New Hard Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My New Hard Drive

Prior to our ZX81, our school had a computer room (or, more accurately, a broom closet) with a ZX80, an Acorn Atom (if memory serves), and a Commodore Pet. Oh and a Texas Instruments programmable calculator.

A short time after that there was some government school's IT "initiative" and we suddenly had a room full of BBC Micro B computers - with floppy disk drives! We also had a couple of dot-matrix printers and daisywheels.

A few years later, my brother bought an Acorn Electron and, later still, we had an Amiga 1200 (now that was fun!), before moving onto a PC with a 75MHz processor and 12MB RAM (I think the hard drive was a whopping 1.7GB) - I had to specifically tell the shop that I wanted Windows 95 on it. For a time, we had a more advanced computer than the place I worked at.

They were the days. Now you can't get by without multiple GBs and GHz all over the place just for the machine to run!

Comment

Our maths department had a Ti programmable calculator as well - which ran an obligatory moon lander program I must be a bit older than you because I was about 21 when the BBC Micro came out but when I was in the 6th form we did have an Apple II clone (ITT 2020) and a Commodore Pet

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
        The oldest computer I still have is an Acorn RiscPC, circa 1994, the last commercially produced Acorn range - it had a 30MHz ARM610 processor and I think mine has 8MB RAM. From memory it was fitted with a 100MB hard drive. It's sitting here in my office, complete with quite a range of accessories and an original monitor. Apparently it's still worth a fair bit.

My oldest working computer is a 2002 Sony Vaio C1MHP Picture Book. It has an 8.9 inch screen but very high resolution at 1280x600. It runs XP:

I upgraded the hard drive from 30GB to 60GB. It has a fantastic screen and it's tiny too, but the Transmeta Crusoe processor was just simply too slow. I did use it regularly for 6 years though!

Ian
        This is a photo of my oldest still-working computer (picture found on the web but it looks like the same thing):

The battery is now useless, it gets wayyyy too hot to sit on your lap, it does have a floppy drive but it swaps with the AC adapter which has a dodgy cable so the adapter really needs to stay in situ. No USB ports, but it has a parallel port (I have an old PP Iomega Zip drive somewhere). It's looking a bit worse for wear now around the hinges, but it still fires up and works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
          Our maths department had a Ti programmable calculator as well - which ran an obligatory moon lander program I must be a bit older than you because I was about 21 when the BBC Micro came out but when I was in the 6th form we did have an Apple II clone (ITT 2020) and a Commodore Pet

Ian
          I can't recall too much about the calculator other than it having a red LED screen. It could be programmed with number games - it could probably do a lot more, but I was more interested in the Pet.

Our school got our BBC Micros just in time for me to start my O-Levels, which was handy.

Comment

Working...
          X