Manfrotto Gizmo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manfrotto Gizmo

A few days ago I ordered this Manfrotto gizmo, its called a “Super Clamp”. Aside from the clamp itself, there are several accessory adapters for it. Below is the clamp, a 1/4 or 3/8 thread short fixture, and a 3/8 thread tripod head mount, with the 3 head securing set screws.

Here is the clamp with a Silk light duty ball head, using the 1/4 and 3/8 thread short fixture. This would be for maximum portability, and smaller P&S cameras.

Here is the clamp setup for more serious buisness, with a Manfrotto 3D head, and the 3/8 thread tripod head mount.

All these fittings snap into a quick release socket on the clamp, so you can change them in a flash. The smaller thumb screw in the rear, locks in the device to secure it, so it does not accidentally get released. The large lock lever secures the clamp, with just a little snug turn. The small silver button on the clamp body, is the device quick release.

The clamp will support 15Kg, and clamp on to a 2-1/2 inch pipe, or 2 inch flat surface like a table or shelf. Hey!, even a tree limb of the proper dimensions would work.

So if you want something super portable, so you can have some camera support when needed. You might think about one of these, I am glad I did. But I never knew they existed until I saw one on the internet, just a few days before I ordered it.

Sold by B&H, the clamp is around $24, the fittings are extra.
    Steve40.

Re: Manfrotto Gizmo

Looks like a useful piece of kit ......
    how about the weight of the entire unit?
    -------------------------

Comment

The clamp itself is cast aluminum, so the catalog gives the weight at .9 lb = 14oz. The little short stud weight is negligible, and the larger 3/8 tripod head mount; maybe a couple of ounces.

With the little Silk head, I would guess about a pound total. With the larger manfrotto head, edging close to 2 lbs; but in a very compact package.

I wish a few years ago, I could have had this clamp with me, in the Smithsonian Institute. They don't allow tripods, or anything closely resembling them. So I used table tops, stair rails, held my breath, and turned blue in the process. Because the little camera I had, would not shoot over ISO 200 without a lot of noise, this clamp would have been a blessing.

Its amazing how little torque is needed to secure it, so a beast would have a problem trying to pull it off, whatever its clamped too. As long as you have a secure head, you would never have to worry about the camera attached to it. Oh! there is a little insert held in place here, by the rear thumb screw. That fills the triangular gap in the upper jaw, for clamping to smaller flat surfaces.
      Steve40.

Comment

Looking again I wonder if it would leave indentations on surfaces!
        I suppose you could glue felt strips at the points of contact to eliminate the possibility of that happening. Could prove embarrassing (and expensive) if its not your property that you have clamped onto

Comment

That's where discretion, would probably be the best position. The inner surface of the clamp has rubberized pads, although rather of the hard variety.

The biggest danger would be when using the insert, the surface on it is even harder. Then again - even the directions, warn about over tightening the clamp. I don't think the thought is of damaging the clamp, its built like a tank; but rather the surface you fasten it to.

That table I clamped it on has a soft vinyl top, it hardly left a mark. Which of any, soon smoothed back out. The clamp's pressure seems to be really! well distributed.
          Steve40.

Comment

Originally posted by Pops View Post
            Looking again I wonder if it would leave indentations on surfaces!
            I suppose you could glue felt strips at the points of contact to eliminate the possibility of that happening. Could prove embarrassing (and expensive) if its not your property that you have clamped onto
            Photographers have been using these clamps on safari tour buses and tundra buggies photographing polar bears for a couple of decades. I've never heard of any damage caused to these vehicles.
            Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it. Terry Pratchett.

Comment

Originally posted by David M View Post
              Photographers have been using these clamps on safari tour buses and tundra buggies photographing polar bears for a couple of decades. I've never heard of any damage caused to these vehicles.
              Like Steve said, I guess its down to the consideration of the user. Certainly appears to be a very useful piece of kit.

Comment

Like I said, discretion needs to be used always! in anything you do. I really! would not want to clamp, to someone's expensive furniture. Or some piece of antiquity.

As far as hand rails, room dividers, or shelves, I would think there would be no problems. If this clamp were like some, where the locking action was done like a C clamp, with a small rotating disk. I genuinely! would have concern, for fastening it to any surface. But this device is a "Clamp", the action is a smooth application of pressure, not an abrasive one.

So again using a bit of discretion, I do not think there would be any problems, using this clamp.
                Last edited by Steve40; 01-01-12, 10:42 PM.
                Steve40.

Comment

Working...
                X