Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 29-01-10
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Photographers rights rally on Saturday

I'm not at the office at the moment and so when I get there later today I will have a look on the big calibrated monitor I have there, but on my laptop they look OK though I can see a difference between the videos and the stills (both taken with the same lens and camera - Olympus Pen E-P2 and 14-42 standard zoom).

I have always had problems calibrating my laptop screen, probably because it's a tablet (Wacom pressure and finger touch screen). My i1Pro calibrator is pretty much unusable with this screen. I have a Spyder3 calibrator on loan and it seemed to work a lot better than the i1. But maybe that optimism was a bit premature!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 29-01-10
Ancient Geek

Liked at 99 Times in 87 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm not at the office at the moment and so when I get there later today I will have a look on the big calibrated monitor I have there, but on my laptop they look OK though I can see a difference between the videos and the stills (both taken with the same lens and camera - Olympus Pen E-P2 and 14-42 standard zoom).

I have always had problems calibrating my laptop screen, probably because it's a tablet (Wacom pressure and finger touch screen). My i1Pro calibrator is pretty much unusable with this screen. I have a Spyder3 calibrator on loan and it seemed to work a lot better than the i1. But maybe that optimism was a bit premature!

Ian
I'm still using Spyder2 for calibrating both my PC and Laptop. The files I have printed at Photobox are still coming back as seen on my PC screen so I don't feel any need or inclination to upgrade the Spyder.

I've never been as happy with prints I got back from them that been processed on the Laptop. They turned out less vibrant and slightly duller than the PC processed images - so I just use the PC for processing prints these days.

Not very progressive of me perhaps but all I really care about is that the prints are coming back as seen on screen. That's my personal ultimate test of my own calibration methods and results.

Pol
Old 29-01-10
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Having looked at the pix on my best screen, I'd agree that the very first one I posted is too warm. The next one, with the doggie, looks OK to me, as do the rest in the gallery, but I'd agree that they are warmer than the videos, which I think are on the cool side.

The first one and the dog picture were processed in PS while I was on the train as my laptop installation of LR was not up to date and did not support E-P2 RAW files. All the rest were processed from RAW in LR.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 29-01-10
Ancient Geek

Liked at 99 Times in 87 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Having looked at the pix on my best screen, I'd agree that the very first one I posted is too warm. The next one, with the doggie, looks OK to me, as do the rest in the gallery, but I'd agree that they are warmer than the videos, which I think are on the cool side.

The first one and the dog picture were processed in PS while I was on the train as my laptop installation of LR was not up to date and did not support E-P2 RAW files. All the rest were processed from RAW in LR.

Ian
I agree that the doggie pic is much better than the first one you posted. Just a quick click on CS4 auto colour corrected the first one. The same auto colour function did make a slight improvement to the doggie pic, mainly on the skin tones iirc.

I suppose much of it is down to personal preference - as in the first pic from peder's G1 (where I loved the colours and sharpening but you disagreed slightly).

Anyway - the main thing is that the variation is down to post-processing rather than the anything to do with the lens or the camera.

That E-P2 seems to be a handy little camera from what I can see so far (not that I'm likely to get one or need one). I'm still bowled over particularly by the quality of those videos and I imagine anyone who had such a camera would, or ought to be very pleased with that video and sound functionality.

Pol
Old 11-10-11
Smile!

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
ekkl is on a distinguished road

Sorry to bring this up again but it has been a while since this has happened. Do you think it has had any impact on our rights at all?

Reason I ask is there are now and again some reports, like today for example, of photographers being hassled in public.