Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 27-06-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 86 Times in 73 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Deleting duplicate photographs/files

Should I be able to delete duplicate photographs in Goodsync?

Somehow I have a lot of duplicate photographs and when I try to delete them manually, as soon as I have about 6 or 7 highlighted the computer starts to copy them again, before I can delete them. I can only delete about 3 at a time without this happening.

Here is a screengrab.

I need something that will highlight them (without me having to do it manually) and then I can just check them and then delete.

I would have thought Goodsync could do this, but I can't find out how to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
duplicates.JPG  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 28-06-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 18 Times in 12 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road
Re: Deleting duplicate photographs/files

Hi Audrey,
This will happen if somehow you move the mouse whilst you are selecting a file with the Ctrl key held down. A tiny movement is sufficient to tell the system to 'Copy' the already selected files.
Does it happen if you only select two or three files very carefully?

Roger
Old 28-06-09
Forum veteran

No I can select contiguous files, but as soon as I move down the page, missing the ones I want to keep and just highlighting the ones I want to delete, a Progress Bar pops up and copies them all and put them next to the highlighted ones.

I am using Control and lift click with the mouse. Perhaps I should try to do it with the cursor keys. However, there are so many that I thought perhaps Goodsync or another program might do it.

It appears that there are programmes that do find duplicates, but I don't want to buy any more programs.

These progs that say Freedownload, mean just that. When you start to use them you are taken to the paying page. Although, to be fair, I haven't tried any Free Download "Find Duplicate Programs" so there may be one that is actually Freeware.

Old 28-06-09
Forum veteran

Sorry Audrey, but I think that mouse movement is doing it. Even the slightest tremor of your hand will cause this to happen as long as the Ctrl key is held down. Have you tried blocking the mouse up against something whilst you do it?
If it does happen, release the control key and RIGHT click anywhere, the duplicate files will still be highlighted, and you can select delete. You will get a warning dialogue but only the duplicates will be deleted.

Roger
Old 29-06-09
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogleale View Post
Sorry Audrey, but I think that mouse movement is doing it. Even the slightest tremor of your hand will cause this to happen as long as the Ctrl key is held down. Have you tried blocking the mouse up against something whilst you do it?
If it does happen, release the control key and RIGHT click anywhere, the duplicate files will still be highlighted, and you can select delete. You will get a warning dialogue but only the duplicates will be deleted.

Roger
I don't really understand how I can use the mouse to click on the files that I want to delete without moving the mouse!

Anyway, the more I did it, the longer it took before it copied and pasted another lot Is Vista intuitive?

I've done all I need to do at this stage.

I got a reply from Goodsync and you can highlight them and then exclude them, but it doesn't automatically take out duplicates.

Once again thanks Roger.

Old 29-06-09
Forum veteran

Annoying isn't it Audrey? I often get carried away doing that routine. The only way to prevent it happening is to, after selecting a file for deletion, release the Ctrl key, move the mouse/cursor to the next file you want to select, depress the Ctrl key, then left click on the file.
It sounds complicated I know, but after a while you get used to it. The problem is that it is too easy to start moving the cursor even a millisecond before you have released the left click. That changes the 'Select' to a 'Copy' command for all the files that you have selected.

Roger

Roger
Old 29-06-09
Forum veteran

Thanks Roger, I shall remember that, now I know what is happening. I didn't know that before.

Old 26-09-09
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
jean3167 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Should I be able to delete duplicate photographs in Goodsync?

Somehow I have a lot of duplicate photographs and when I try to delete them manually, as soon as I have about 6 or 7 highlighted the computer starts to copy them again, before I can delete them. I can only delete about 3 at a time without this happening.

Here is a screengrab.

I need something that will highlight them (without me having to do it manually) and then I can just check them and then delete.

I would have thought Goodsync could do this, but I can't find out how to do it.
There are many applications as duplicate photo remover on the web you can try any one of them, i use duplicate finder 2009 to delete files duplicate and it works great for me.
Old 26-09-09
Forum veteran

jojo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogleale View Post
This will happen if somehow you move the mouse whilst you are selecting a file with the Ctrl key held down. A tiny movement is sufficient to tell the system to 'Copy' the already selected files.
Roger
Roger, this problem has plagued me for years - I never had any idea what caused this "copy phenomenon". Thank you, thank you, thank you . A big to Audrey for raising the subject.

jo
Old 26-09-09

Liked at 247 Times in 158 Posts
Rodbender is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
No I can select contiguous files, but as soon as I move down the page, missing the ones I want to keep and just highlighting the ones I want to delete, a Progress Bar pops up and copies them all and put them next to the highlighted ones.

I am using Control and lift click with the mouse. Perhaps I should try to do it with the cursor keys. However, there are so many that I thought perhaps Goodsync or another program might do it.

It appears that there are programmes that do find duplicates, but I don't want to buy any more programs.

These progs that say Freedownload, mean just that. When you start to use them you are taken to the paying page. Although, to be fair, I haven't tried any Free Download "Find Duplicate Programs" so there may be one that is actually Freeware.
No need to buy any extra software. Use Picasa3, it's a free programme which you may already have. Click on TOOLS, EXPERIMENTAL, SHOW DUPLICATE IMAGES. From there you can see all duplicate images and delete them.
Old 22-08-10

Spokenrivers is on a distinguished road

Selecting files
Go into explorer and click file options
Choose the view tab
Scroll down and check the 'use check boxes to select items'
Hit apply and now you don't need to hold the control key down to select individual items, just click the check box by the side of the filename