Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25-11-07
Mike Parr Mike Parr is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Mike Parr is on a distinguished road
Railway Viaduct

One of Brunells viaducts

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25-11-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Mike, its my opinion that the photo lacks some contrast, it just seems somewhat flat to me. I'd also try burning in the building on the right and perhaps some vignette to the corners to help lead the eye along the line.
Attached Thumbnails
B252658.jpg  
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25-11-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

I would just add that there is much more detail in the bottom portion of the picture when it is PS, so obviously some tonal range is lost in the browser
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25-11-07
ekkl ekkl is offline
Smile!
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sussex UK
Posts: 635
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ekkl is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Hope you had your HV Vest on!

You may notice there are four rails in the picture? Well the two outer ones are the running rails that the train wheels run on, the two in the middle of the track are there if the train comes off the rails, they act as a guide to stop it going over the edge!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-11-07
Mike Parr Mike Parr is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Mike Parr is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Stephen I like what you did, but it is a little dark on my screen i can see you added depth to the picture, I probably need to be a little more aggresive with my PP
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 26-11-07
Blithe's Avatar
Blithe Blithe is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 257
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Blithe is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

I hesitate to comment as I am not experienced as others, but for some reason, I feel that my eye is being swept out of the scene to the left rather than being taken on into the distance by the tracks. Perhaps it is the clarity of the railings nearest - I really don't know. However, I do like the b/w sky and the trees like lacework against it.

Have just looked at Stephen's edit and seeing the photograph in its entirety makes a difference - the central point is more drawing, though overall quite dark on my screen.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 27-11-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,122
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 87
Thanked 135 Times in 115 Posts
Likes: 383
Liked at 187 Times in 150 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Parr View Post
Stephen I like what you did, but it is a little dark on my screen i can see you added depth to the picture, I probably need to be a little more aggresive with my PP
Hi Mike, I think you picture is easy to like despite some technical improvement potential highlighted by others

If your view of Stephen's edit is dark on your monitor, it could be that your monitor needs recalibrating - in theory both of you should be seeing the same and I know Stephen regularly calibrates his monitor.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 27-11-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Mike, I think you picture is easy to like despite some technical improvement potential highlighted by others

If your view of Stephen's edit is dark on your monitor, it could be that your monitor needs recalibrating - in theory both of you should be seeing the same and I know Stephen regularly calibrates his monitor.

Ian
Actually mine has just started showing the nag screen, I need to update the profile. However I did say that my version looks darker in the browser than it does in Photoshop.
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 27-11-07
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,122
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 87
Thanked 135 Times in 115 Posts
Likes: 383
Liked at 187 Times in 150 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Actually mine has just started showing the nag screen, I need to update the profile. However I did say that my version looks darker in the browser than it does in Photoshop.
I can't see any density difference between the two in Photoshop and IE, but the browser version has a slightly warmer tone.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 27-11-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I can't see any density difference between the two in Photoshop and IE, but the browser version has a slightly warmer tone.

Ian
I'm using Firefox on the Mac and I can see a definite difference in the density of the blacks in Photoshop. There appears to be less tonal range in the image on the browser. I'll check Safari, which is the Mac default browser.

After comparing I'd say the image is slightly warmer in Safari, but the blacks are the same density as Firefox. ie darker than Photoshop
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 27-11-07
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I'm using Firefox on the Mac and I can see a definite difference in the density of the blacks in Photoshop. There appears to be less tonal range in the image on the browser. I'll check Safari, which is the Mac default browser.

After comparing I'd say the image is slightly warmer in Safari, but the blacks are the same density as Firefox. ie darker than Photoshop
Was just wondering if the file might be Adobe 1998 rather than sRGB......as this sometimes affects how images appear on the Web as opposed to in Photoshop. The Adobe 1998 files often seem to lose punch and saturation when posted on the Internet.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 27-11-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearface View Post
Was just wondering if the file might be Adobe 1998 rather than sRGB......as this sometimes affects how images appear on the Web as opposed to in Photoshop. The Adobe 1998 files often seem to lose punch and saturation when posted on the Internet.
Mmmm, well when I checked it was neither Adobe 1998 or sRGB, but Dot Gain 10%. Anyway have converted it to sRGB to see if it makes any difference
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.jpg  
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 27-11-07
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Mmmm, well when I checked it was neither Adobe 1998 or sRGB, but Dot Gain 10%. Anyway have converted it to sRGB to see if it makes any difference
Unbelievable it is lighter, not a lot, but a significant amount
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27-11-07
Bearface Bearface is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bearface is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Unbelievable it is lighter, not a lot, but a significant amount
It's always summat simple
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 27-11-07
Mike Parr Mike Parr is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Mike Parr is on a distinguished road
Re: Railway Viaduct

Thanks for all the feedback when I can get on my big pc i will have to check out my settings
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Viaduct Mike Parr Photo critique 5 30-07-07 11:19 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:11 PM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2017, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger