Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > DPNow noticeboard > Beta test discussion

Beta test discussion If you have constructive comment and feedback or feature requests regarding the new forum while it is being beta tested, please post it here.

Old 16-09-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 96 Times in 84 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: Google searching !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Heck, if you search my name on Google, there's loads of stuff, its just one of those things I have to live with I'm afraid
Yep - but you don't have a lot of choice about using your real name as you need to do so for your commercial work and copyrights.

Google can still find the occasional reference to my real name but very few and none of them inportant. My paid for and 'posh' email addy was spammed out of existence when one person posted it on hs website links.

Pol
Old 16-09-06
Admin

Liked at 187 Times in 150 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
Thanks, I'll certainly have a play around.
I've visited the old forum for several years. I stopped my occasional posting as 'David Dunnico' because I didn't like the way Google would include my posts if someone searched for my name. I became 'DD', but the new forum wants a 3 character name, hence DTD (my full initials).
Actually, I do sympathise - I have always disliked the conventional 'phpboard' and similar style of forum - boxes everywhere and limited threaded view support (sometimes none at all) and that is one reason why I stuck with WebBBS for such a long time. vBulletin is packed with features, but it's not perfect. I'd prefer the thread view to be below the post, for a start, but one thing that I'm looking forward to is customising the look of the forum. I certainly want to get away from the boxy style of the default style.

There is a lot of potential with the forum portal and I've not yet had a chance to reconfigure this yet.

So I take on board what you say and I think I see where you are coming from. There are some changes I think you will like, but you may have to adapt to some other aspects of vBulletin you may not like so much, just as I have.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 16-09-06
Admin

Re: dissapointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
Yeah well ........ #2 son was to blame. He was doing Hamlet for GCSE, or maybe it was A level, and he was always quoting from it at the time so some of the quotations stuck

Incidentally - if you want to edit your pevious posting, the one where you iserted your real name, just go to that posting, click on "edit" and change it to something like "David Dunn-etc" then Google won't find you alongside your new username.

See how that 'editing' function is another good thing about this type of forum interface. You can edit your own posting for up to 24 hrs afterwards (it is 24 hrs isn't it, Ian?)

Pol
Yes, it's set for 24 hours, but you only have 30 minutes to edit your post before an 'Edited by' note gets added. Currently the time for editing the title of new threads is limited to 5 minutes.

Ian
Old 17-09-06
Admin

Re: customise the forum front page

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTD View Post
If you are finding it harder to navigate the various boards may I suggest clicking on New Posts, or Quick Links then down to Todays posts
Thanks for the suggestion, that does help, but generally I'm still of the same opinion.[/quote]

Hi David,

You can customise the forum front page by clicking the double-chevron buttons on the right of the category headings. These will hide category bodies you aren't interested in. The choices will be remembered (via cookies) on the computer's browser next time you access the front page.

I've toned down the busy-ness of the default style a bit and moved to a neutral grey to show off images better. Plenty more can be done.

Ian