Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Photo critique

Photo critique Here is where you can display your images and seek the comment, advice and, maybe, constructive critique of your work. Only post your images here if you are happy for frank feedback. If in doubt, use the beginners board instead. Only post your comments here if you feel you can make a constructive and polite contribution in response to what is, for some, a leap of faith in exposing their work to your critical comment.

Old 14-09-06
Man of Kent lost in Essex

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
StuartR is on a distinguished road
New school uniform

Mum asked for a picture of the granddaughter in her new school uniform (she's only just turned 3! - didn't start that young in my day!).

Anyway, despite usually being a good model she just wouldn't pose, just stood there looking miserable so I gave up. Then I suggested she tried climbing a tree - that worked

Not sure it made me popular with mum though, I reckon the new uniform had to go in the wash before she'd even been to school

Life is an incurable disease with a 100% mortality rate
Old 14-09-06
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: New school uniform

One for the family album Stuart, she seems a little tomboyish in a cute sorta way. Nice light on her front and face, did you use a reflector or is that natural sunlight? Pity about the thin branch over her chest, but you can't have everything I suppose when you are having to take the opportunity when it presents itself. If I had been able I would have used a wider aperture reducing the depth of field in order to concentrate the attention on her more, though I'm nitpicking a bit

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-09-06
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
Mum asked for a picture of the granddaughter in her new school uniform (she's only just turned 3! - didn't start that young in my day!).

Anyway, despite usually being a good model she just wouldn't pose, just stood there looking miserable so I gave up. Then I suggested she tried climbing a tree - that worked

Not sure it made me popular with mum though, I reckon the new uniform had to go in the wash before she'd even been to school

Lovely pose, beautiful smile. Little Miss Goody Two Shoes.
Old 14-09-06
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Although I think it is a nice shot. I think it would be nicer without her in the tree, I find the tree, and the fence a distraction.

I think sat on the lawn, or even better, on bench in the garden would have been preferable.
Old 14-09-06
lumix

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Although I think it is a nice shot. I think it would be nicer without her in the tree, I find the tree, and the fence a distraction.

I think sat on the lawn, or even better, on bench in the garden would have been preferable.
I like the pose in the tree. As Stephen commented it shows her character, tomboyish, and that makes the picture for me.
Old 15-09-06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumix View Post
I like the pose in the tree. As Stephen commented it shows her character, tomboyish, and that makes the picture for me.
Each to their own Lumix.
Stuart probably wanted a broad spectrum of people to respond with their views.

To me though, if one is trying to show off a school uniform (as per the brief) then personally, I like a more student like pose.

Had the brief been that the grandmother wanted a picture of her granddaughter, then yes, this would have been great (despite that fence )

Hope that makes sense!
Old 15-09-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Well - I love everything about this one all the way down from her sassy grin to those newly dirtied knees and legs. As for the uniform - the colour suits her well and shows off a healthy tan on a little lass who's obviously had a bloomin' good Summer.

I suspect she'll become an eager, willing little poser within the next year or two.

I'd say the ligting, shadows and exposure turned out very well on this shot. However, for the future, you might like to consider having a look at the special offer on the collapsible 5 in 1 reflectors from 7dayshop.com. It all comes in a small carrying bag, includes a diffuser, silver, gold, black and white reflectors. Here's the link very useful for times when the natural light/shadows aren't so ideal.

Pol
Old 15-09-06

Hi Stephen, actually I used flash with a stofen diffuser because her face was in shadow. I've been thinking about investing in a reflector and the link Pol gave in her reply certainly looks good VFM to me. I reduced the effect of the flash further by playing with various options in DxO which is my RAW converter of choice.

28mm @ 5.6 EXIF tells me and the lens (Canon 17-85mm) only goes up to 4.5 so I doubt that would have made much difference but I take your point. I keep forgetting to stick my 60mm f2.8 macro on - probably would have been a better option for this type of picture?

Old 15-09-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post

Hi Coupekid

The little madam wouldn't pose anywhere else , it's only when I let her go up the tree that she started smiling (and showing off the bubble-gum in the corner of her mouth which she wouldn't get rid of for love nor money).

Here's an example of the "no granddad" face when we tried some more formal poses

Old 15-09-06

Hi Pol

The healthy tan comes from spending most of the summer with her mum in their family caravan in the country, I think she was out at sun-up and back in at sun-down. Don't think it did her any harm though!

As I replied to Stephen, I'm tempted to order one of the reflectors in your link. In fact, I think I will - I haven't bought anything for at least a week

Old 15-09-06
Seriously addicted

Quote:
I'm tempted to order one of the reflectors in your link. In fact, I think I will - I haven't bought anything for at least a week
HaHa good plan then, but be aware that its an extra thing to juggle and a second pair of hands if often useful.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 15-09-06

Do I buy the 107, 31, 50 or 80cm version though

Old 15-09-06
Seriously addicted

Quote:
I would think an 80cm would be adequate, though what the hell I'd probably go for the bigun

Check out my BLOG too

Old 15-09-06
Ancient Geek

Liked at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have the 50cm one, but I may also go for the smaller 30cm too at some point - could be useful indoors for small items of even head/shoulders portraits.

They suggest you might find the larger ones blow about a bit on a windy day but I dunno. I never had anyone willing to hold reflectors for me, no do I have any stands or clamps - so I just hold my own (50cm) in one hand and the cable release in the other.

I also have trouble persuading anyone to model for me .. and swear and curse at anyone who dare snigger at me when I'm doing self portraits with cable in one hand, reflector in another and a mirror (or window) in front so I can get some idea of what I'm doing.

Just get a big one and a small one and have some fun with them. They're great value imho - Kood, according to the logo on the carry bag.

Pol
Old 15-09-06
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi Coupekid

The little madam wouldn't pose anywhere else , it's only when I let her go up the tree that she started smiling (and showing off the bubble-gum in the corner of her mouth which she wouldn't get rid of for love nor money).

Here's an example of the "no granddad" face when we tried some more formal poses

ha ha, well, I see what you mean, looks like you just told her off!