Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > Digital photography problem solving centre

Digital photography problem solving centre Got a problem that needs solving? Camera, lens, software, computer, accessory, technique, etc. Post it here and we'll do our best to find an answer for you! As long as it is related to photography some how, we're interested!

Old 31-07-13
Forum regular

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
billbirchall is on a distinguished road
Re: Scanning 35mm slides

I have uncovered several hundred old slides, which I wish to digitise, so I can edit them on my iMac using Aperture software. I have a Canon MG6150 printer, but it has no facility for scanning slides. I do not know, whether to invest in a printer with slide scanning capability (my MG6150, is perfectly OK, for everything else), a dedicated 35mm slide scanner, with good quality dpi scanning (which one) or use a 3rd party (any recommendations).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Apologies, if this is not the correct forum.
Old 31-07-13

Liked at 413 Times in 233 Posts
andym is on a distinguished road

Hi

Well being a cheapskate I achieved this using a bit of old cardboard tube with the slide mounted on the end and the other end taped on the end of my Olympus E5 with my 50mm macro attached,manual focused in live view, photographed in RAW and then put through photoshop.

Works very well.Still need to get time to work through the other 3000 I've got,a project for the winter.

All the best

Andy

E1,E5,E420,E-M5,OM1(N),14-54,12-60SWD,7-14mm,50-200,50mm F2.0 macro,25mm pancake,EC14,Sigma 50-500 HSM,m4/3 14-150,Om50mm(F1.,OM28mm(f2.,FL36,HLD4,HLD2,Epson P3000,crap tripod,Manfrotto 680B monopod,various filters/CF cards.

My Flickr

Last edited by andym; 31-07-13 at 04:40 PM.
Old 31-07-13
Forum regular

Hi Andy,

Nice sense of humour! I think that you certainly have a winter project, but using that method, I suspect, you may need a few winters.

Good shot of the temple.

Bill
Old 31-07-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbirchall View Post
Hi Andy,

Nice sense of humour! I think that you certainly have a winter project, but using that method, I suspect, you may need a few winters.

Good shot of the temple.

Bill
The idea is very sound but an easier method essentially the same, is to use a slide copier, they can still be found at camera fairs and eBay.

Patrick
Old 31-07-13
Forum regular

Patrick,

Thanks, but what is a Slide copier, what do they look like, are they the same as scanners, what would they cost and what sort of quality would I get?

Bill
Old 31-07-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Patrick,

Thanks, but what is a Slide copier, what do they look like, are they the same as scanners, what would they cost and what sort of quality would I get?

Bill

Hi Bill

The easiest way is to point you to this website explaining things.

I can say you will get top quality results, possibly better than scanning and much cheaper. A friend of mine routinely copied files using his digital camera and a copier.
Its quicker than scanning as well.

Here is the link. http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html

Any DSLR can be used but an adapter may be required to fit the copier to the camera. The full details should be explained on the link, I haven't actually read it myself but understand the principles involved.

Patrick
Old 31-07-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 2 Posts
DennisP is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill I just went on to Amazon website and put into the search box "35mm slide copiers" and it produced a page of 20 at various prices.
Old 31-07-13
Forum veteran

yoshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have uncovered several hundred old slides, which I wish to digitise, so I can edit them on my iMac using Aperture software. I have a Canon MG6150 printer, but it has no facility for scanning slides. I do not know, whether to invest in a printer with slide scanning capability (my MG6150, is perfectly OK, for everything else), a dedicated 35mm slide scanner, with good quality dpi scanning (which one) or use a 3rd party (any recommendations).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Apologies, if this is not the correct forum.
interesting topic, as I am in a similar position too.
If there is anybody who used a flat bed scanner for this purpose, I'm eager to learn the experiences and your evalution. As far as a dedicated 35mm film (both posi/nega) scanner is concerned, as far as I know (=I don't know much), there have been no newer models in the past five years or so. Looks to me a flat bed scanner, is one way of tackling with this matter. The con is of cource the cost involved.
A flat bed scanner can be however used for other purposes, so in that sense it might be "A" way to go...

Clever people bought dedicated film scanner at earlier stage and sell it soon after they finished the job. I'm ten years behind.

yoshi
Old 01-08-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
interesting topic, as I am in a similar position too.
If there is anybody who used a flat bed scanner for this purpose, I'm eager to learn the experiences and your evalution. As far as a dedicated 35mm film (both posi/nega) scanner is concerned, as far as I know (=I don't know much), there have been no newer models in the past five years or so. Looks to me a flat bed scanner, is one way of tackling with this matter. The con is of cource the cost involved.
A flat bed scanner can be however used for other purposes, so in that sense it might be "A" way to go...

Clever people bought dedicated film scanner at earlier stage and sell it soon after they finished the job. I'm ten years behind.

yoshi

Not every flat bed scanner is of use for scanning negs or transparencies they must be designed with the special light hood and of course require carriers. Epson and Canon both make some very good models at very reasonable prices.
Dedicated film scanners are more expensive but it is accepted in general terms they give bettter results. I haven't yet seen an all in one printer/scanner designed to scan negs/trannies, they are always just for general scanning of documents.

Patrick
Old 01-08-13

Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
David M is on a distinguished road

I've got a dedicated film scanner that is gathering dust. I picked up a cheap slide copier and after testing and not being happy with the sharpness I gutted it. I used the slide holder and part of the tube from it to which I attached a adapter ring from a filter holder. This allows me to screw the slide holder onto the front of my macro lens to copy slides.
Old 01-08-13
Forum regular

Hi All,

I certainly seemed to have stirred up a debate, with my query, though I am not sure that I have moved forward too much. I do not like the slide copier method as it sounds Heath Robinson to me and more to the point, I do not have a DSLR camera. So it seems that I need a recommendation for a good slide scanner or a company that could scan them for me. I do realise that Amazon have lots of scanners at varying prices, but I was hoping for some guidance, from a DPNow expert.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Old 02-08-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Hi All,

I certainly seemed to have stirred up a debate, with my query, though I am not sure that I have moved forward too much. I do not like the slide copier method as it sounds Heath Robinson to me and more to the point, I do not have a DSLR camera. So it seems that I need a recommendation for a good slide scanner or a company that could scan them for me. I do realise that Amazon have lots of scanners at varying prices, but I was hoping for some guidance, from a DPNow expert.

Thanks for your input.

Bill
Ok if you don't fancy the slide copy method in truth tried and tested, the a scanner is your option.
Beware of cheap dedicated scanners claiming high resolutions they will probably be in fact low resolution interpolated up which results in soft poor quality images. A good dedicated scanner that can give high quality results with high dynamic rage cost hundreds of pounds.
Your best bet is a flat bed with a facility for scanning slides, all in one printer and scanner won't do the job as the scanner is a document only affair.
I have had a look and the Epson V370 looks good to me and Epson do have a good reputation for this type of thing as do Canon.
The resolution is an optical (not interpolated) 4800dpi should give quality, reasonably high dynamic rage, and highly detailed sharp images. Can be bought for just under a 100.
Hope this post is more helpful to you.

Patrick
Old 02-08-13
Forum regular

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your guidance and recommendation, I will have a look at a dedicated flat bed scanner.

Bill
Old 02-08-13
Ed

Weeman is on a distinguished road
Re: Re: Scanning 35mm slides

The old OM system had a purpose built slide copier which come up on e bay all is needed is an OM to m4/3 adaptor. One other method is to project the slides on a good quality screen tripod mount your camera and shoot away, cropping can be carred out if needed.
Old 02-08-13
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeman View Post
The old OM system had a purpose built slide copier which come up on e bay all is needed is an OM to m4/3 adaptor. One other method is to project the slides on a good quality screen tripod mount your camera and shoot away, cropping can be carred out if needed.
I would be surprised if the projection method would give very good quality, but it depends on what expectations the individual has.

Patrick