Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements
   

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion

DSLR and other system camera discussion The place on DPNow.com for discussing Digital Single Lens Reflex camera issues and up and coming mirrorless or SLT system cameras.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 15-02-11
ash's Avatar
ash ash is offline
Mr Iceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ash is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Got the camera ok, Ive registered it with nikon although it did warn me its not been distributed by nikon uk everything seems to work fine so Ill just hope nothing ever goes wrong, even though camerbox promises a 5 year warrenty I would'nt fancy sending it back to them for repair as it took em a week to be bothered to post it out!
cheers
Ash
Ohh well chuffed with camera itself, its like a mini d700, very fast and iso performance awsome
ill post some shots at the weekend.
__________________
http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 16-02-11
Barr1e's Avatar
Barr1e Barr1e is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,513
Thanks: 126
Thanked 44 Times in 36 Posts
Likes: 48
Liked at 61 Times in 43 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Barr1e is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Have fun with it Ash.

I have a very good friend with one who is more than delighted with it. (If that's possible.)

Regards. Barr1e
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 19-02-11
ash's Avatar
ash ash is offline
Mr Iceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ash is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

First test shot with d7000, iso 6400, 1/6 sec @ f4 sigma 18-50 2.8

__________________
http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19-02-11
ash's Avatar
ash ash is offline
Mr Iceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ash is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

iso 25000, 1/1000 sec f2.8, this was with nikon 50mm afs 1.4
both these have had no processing and were shot in raw.

__________________
http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 19-02-11
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Impressive result, though I'd probably have been tempted to correct the WB. I don't think I've tried my 5DII over 3200, but it gives me a good result and I know that the NR in LR3 is at hand to sort out any luminance or colour noise.
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 19-02-11
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,158
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 59
Thanked 82 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 108
Liked at 70 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Morning Ash! I can't resist commenting on your bottle shot at ISO 25600

First of all although you, personally, haven't processed the RAW file, your RAW conversion software certainly has, so it's actually misleading to say that it's unprocessed. The RAW software will have applied default processes, including noise management, according to a profile based on the camera settings, including the ISO set. The image will certainly have had plenty of noise reduction applied to it by default. But that's not to say that the result isn't impressive, of course it is.

Another slight niggle in my mind is that the brightness of the scene is quite adequate. If you reduced the ISO to 800 you would still have a usable shutter speed of 1/30th hand held. A real test of high ISO performance is in lower light with large areas of relative darkness (where chroma noise tends to appear) and fine detail (which can be lost through chroma noise management). Finally, your image has little saturated colour in it and this is another key test as a basic strategy option to deal with chroma noise is to desaturate the image.

I note that Stephen commented on the white balance (the lens cap shot is certainly on the warm side) but on the beer bottle shot the lens cap is magenta, not because of white balance issues, but because the camera is unable to create a true grey any more, and this is typical of extreme ISO results. Much of the rest of the image areas have correct white balance.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 19-02-11
ash's Avatar
ash ash is offline
Mr Iceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ash is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Morning Ash! I can't resist commenting on your bottle shot at ISO 25600

First of all although you, personally, haven't processed the RAW file, your RAW conversion software certainly has, so it's actually misleading to say that it's unprocessed. The RAW software will have applied default processes, including noise management, according to a profile based on the camera settings, including the ISO set. The image will certainly have had plenty of noise reduction applied to it by default. But that's not to say that the result isn't impressive, of course it is.

Another slight niggle in my mind is that the brightness of the scene is quite adequate. If you reduced the ISO to 800 you would still have a usable shutter speed of 1/30th hand held. A real test of high ISO performance is in lower light with large areas of relative darkness (where chroma noise tends to appear) and fine detail (which can be lost through chroma noise management). Finally, your image has little saturated colour in it and this is another key test as a basic strategy option to deal with chroma noise is to desaturate the image.

I note that Stephen commented on the white balance (the lens cap shot is certainly on the warm side) but on the beer bottle shot the lens cap is magenta, not because of white balance issues, but because the camera is unable to create a true grey any more, and this is typical of extreme ISO results. Much of the rest of the image areas have correct white balance.

Ian

I think to the average joe shmo they are unprocessed/un tinkered with.
The picture has a good range of light and dark area's imo!
I no the scene has plenty of light but I wanted to use the highest possible iso!
Let me no how I can more acurately and purely post the picture and show the noise levels and I will gladly re post the image.
cheers
Ash.
__________________
http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 21-02-11
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,158
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 59
Thanked 82 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 108
Liked at 70 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash View Post
I think to the average joe shmo they are unprocessed/un tinkered with.
The picture has a good range of light and dark area's imo!
I no the scene has plenty of light but I wanted to use the highest possible iso!
Let me no how I can more acurately and purely post the picture and show the noise levels and I will gladly re post the image.
cheers
Ash.
I would recommend a scene that would be impossible to photograph hand held at ISO 800. 1/30th or even 1/15th, with some care, are certainly viable hand held, especially with image stabilisation, so I would suggest a picture where at ISO 800 the suggested shutter speed would be slower than, say, 1/15th and you were using a reasonable aperture of around f/5.6 or even f/8. Then yank up the ISO to see how it looks

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 21-02-11
ash's Avatar
ash ash is offline
Mr Iceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ash is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I would recommend a scene that would be impossible to photograph hand held at ISO 800. 1/30th or even 1/15th, with some care, are certainly viable hand held, especially with image stabilisation, so I would suggest a picture where at ISO 800 the suggested shutter speed would be slower than, say, 1/15th and you were using a reasonable aperture of around f/5.6 or even f/8. Then yank up the ISO to see how it looks

Ian
Yes under normal circumstances I would only crank up the iso when needed, my original shot of the beer bottle was only to see what it looked like, I was not stating any scientific boundaries by posting it, true the camera does do an amount of processing just by making the image into a file for you to view but does this not apply to all digital camera's and as such should be a par for the coarse default process that should be disregarded when doing these sort of real world testing.
This one is Emily and even though ive had to convert it to jpg and resize for posting all the presets and sliders in lr3 were either at zero or default, so is this not a pretty accurate representation of what my raw file looks like?

__________________
http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-03-11
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,158
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 59
Thanked 82 Times in 68 Posts
Likes: 108
Liked at 70 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

Deleted some spam off this thread earlier this morning. The spammer was blathering on about how he'd used the D7000 for 'several years' (it's only been available for a few months).

Reminded me of a young lad who tried to sell me a Canon AE-1 Program when I was working in a camera shop (a very long time ago!) - he explained that his mum had bought it a couple of years back and no longer needed it. The camera was launched about three months previously.

I told the lad to get lost and should really have called the police.

The manager at one of the group's other shops eventually bought the camera off the same lad - and for a song.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-03-11
ash's Avatar
ash ash is offline
Mr Iceman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Huddersfield
Posts: 1,502
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ash is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

You would think if they were going to spam then they would have a bit more idea about what they are spamming about!
This nikon d400 ive got is amazing
__________________
http://www.ftmphotography.co.uk
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 16-03-11
sjohny84
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Nikon D7000

Nikon D7000 is very simple, if you are a Nikon shooter looking for a new camera then stop reading and buy this camera. It's that good.This camera is brilliant to hold and use. Nikon has done it again and has made the user interface more usable and streamlined.I notice a difference between the pictures from the Nikon D7000and any of my 12mp cameras. It makes really nice pictures.
The other major benefit is the D7000's truer color rendering. This saves a lot of time in post processing. The D7000 is also whisper quiet. Of course, the build quality is much better on the D300 and for me, the ergonomics are better.
It has 16.2 MP image sensor and AMAZING ISO range (100-6400) and lack of noise in low light also twin SD card slots.
This camera's performance is incredible! It's worth the price.

Last edited by Ian; 16-03-11 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Spam link removed
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16-03-11
Bear's Avatar
Bear Bear is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yunquera, Andalucia, Spain
Posts: 263
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Bear is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear
Re: Nikon D7000

I'm pleased you like the D7000 Ash, it seems to turn in some impressive results. i was going to buy one as a back up until I held it. Too small for my hands, so it is a D300s for me or wait until the D400 comes out.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon introduces Coolpix P7000 plus D7000 DSLR and more ready for Photokina DPNow Headline news 3 20-09-10 09:12 PM
Nikon announces the D7000 DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 15-09-10 12:05 PM
Nikon Launches the Nikon Photo Contest International 2010-2011 DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 14-07-10 02:00 PM
Nikon announces Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition DPNow Latest DPNow articles 0 01-04-08 01:00 PM
Nikon School DVDs show how to use Nikon Digital SLR Cameras DPNow Latest DPNow articles 1 16-11-07 08:14 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:55 AM.


© Digital Photography Now, 2001-2012, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger