Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion

DSLR and other system camera discussion The place on DPNow.com for discussing Digital Single Lens Reflex camera issues and up and coming mirrorless or SLT system cameras.

Old 05-02-11
Mr Iceman

Liked at 20 Times in 15 Posts
ash is on a distinguished road
Nikon D7000

Has anyone on here got or tried a d7000?
Im going to be doing alot more payed photography hopefully so I need something more substantial than the d90 although I will be keeping the d90 for a backup body and for travelling.
Im torn between the d300s and the d7000.
Ive no intention to go back to full frame at the moment purely for cost reasons, and personally I feel you get more bang for your buck with nikon dx format!
Any thoughts appreciated.
Ash.
Old 06-02-11
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Nikon D7000

This seems like the obvious choice for someone in your situation, where robustness, high spec and value for money are the order of the day. It is billed as the logical upgrade from the D90. The D300s is an older model and I can't see any real advantage in this model for you. If it were me I'd be tempted to go for it along with the battery pack/grip, a very nice package.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 07-02-11
Mr Iceman

Thanks for your input Stephen, very encouraging, the grip is essential for portrait work which will be my main area.
Ash.
Old 08-02-11
Admin

Liked at 61 Times in 51 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

The big Japanese photo trade show, CP+, starts this week and there have already been lost of new camera announcements. Nothing from Nikon yet, although Canon has announced some new DSLRs and lenses (see: http://dpnow.com/2011/02/OfficialPressReleases.html). So if you want the very latest it might be worth waiting a little bit.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-02-11
Admin

I actually attended a Nikon launch yesterday afternoon (embargoed so I could not mention it yesterday) but there were no new DSLRs, the focus was firmly on compacts and bridge cameras. CP+ started today, so unless there is a late announcement from Japan I think there is unlikely to be any DSLR news from Nikon for a few months now.

Ian
Old 09-02-11
Mr Iceman

Hi Ian, Im not really bothered about having the very latest, at the moment for me its more having a good camera and using all of its capabilities, like twin card slots, less stressful straightaway noing that if you have a card failure you have another card with the same on it
I don't think the d400 is coming along till next spring anyway, and when it does it will cost more than a d700 does now I think.
The d7000 just seemed a logical step for me, the d300s was not really offering me as much for the money. The only thing I ummmed and arrred about was the fact that a d300s is a more solid pro body than a d7000, but Im used to a d90 now so the d7000 will feel better Im sure, and I do look after my kit, so the more rugedness of the d300s soon was not an issue.
Anyway its on order
Thanks for input and comments.
Ash.
Old 11-02-11
Mr Iceman

Just an update, the d7000 was ordered and payed for on tuesday from camerabox, supposedly the professionals choice, hahahaha, and only just today got email that its been shipped, the 2-4 day delivery time is out the window unless it arrives tommorow which I very much doubt, it amazes me what these people actually do from taking payment and actually getting round to shipping the item
They must deal with lots of orders I accept but with that you have staff to cope with demand.
When I sell something on ebay I send it as soon as payment is received, its not rocket science.
I have a charity ball event tommorow night with 150+ guests and was hoping to use it for then
I can't say I would recommend camerabox, the status of my order never changed for 3 days, Im still waiting for somebody to call me back from tuesday on the so called 30 min callback feature on the site and when you do finally get through the staff are not that friendly either
I just hope the camera is ok when I finally get it!
Ash.
Old 11-02-11

Geoff is on a distinguished road

Ash, I hope your camera comes soon and all is OK, however, Camerabox do not have a good reputation for customer service, do a search on Google for Camerabox Complaints. I've heard that their stock is grey imports, you do not get a warranty with Nikon but with Camera Box.

I hope that you turn out to be one of their satisfied customers.

Regards,

Geoff.
Old 12-02-11
Mr Iceman

A lesson learned here I think, I was under the impression that they supplied uk products, and I will be registering the camera with nikon uk, Im not one to take these things lightly and if anything is untoward then they will be a victim of my wrath of doom!!
Old 14-02-11
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road

I had very similar experiences with Simply Electronics. They had the best price on a Canon 5DMkII. I actually rang them to check on stock and was assured it was in stock, so I placed the order over the phone.

It was over a week, maybe 10 days before I heard it was dispatched, I had been expecting the same or next day. I had been given the impression it was a UK based company and so expected a fast service.

In the meantime I had read all sorts of horror stories online about people not receiving their good and long delays. I was beginning to regret placing the order. However during the long delivery period, I had occasion to speak to my CC company over a different matter and I mentioned the problems I was having with the camera order. They assured me that if I didn't get satisfaction that I was covered with the CC and would get a refund.

After about 2 weeks the camera arrived, it had been sent from HK/Kowloon, not the UK. Though I had been sent a tracking No and had been able to see this. I don't consider the camera to be a grey import, and the S/N has been registered with Canon (CPS) As I now have 2 Pro cameras registered with them, I'm now entitled to preferential service treatment.

It's annoying that we have to put up with this sort of thing, maybe it's the price we must pay for getting cheaper deals.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 14-02-11
Admin

Unlike Simply Electronics, which is completely Hong Kong-based operation (as Stephen says) my understanding is that Camerabox is UK-based but they do deal in grey imports. Sometimes this doesn't matter but sometimes it does (and you may have difficulty in getting the warranty or cashbacks, etc. honoured in the UK).

Ian
Old 14-02-11
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I had very similar experiences with Simply Electronics. They had the best price on a Canon 5DMkII. I actually rang them to check on stock and was assured it was in stock, so I placed the order over the phone.

It was over a week, maybe 10 days before I heard it was dispatched, I had been expecting the same or next day. I had been given the impression it was a UK based company and so expected a fast service.

In the meantime I had read all sorts of horror stories online about people not receiving their good and long delays. I was beginning to regret placing the order. However during the long delivery period, I had occasion to speak to my CC company over a different matter and I mentioned the problems I was having with the camera order. They assured me that if I didn't get satisfaction that I was covered with the CC and would get a refund.

After about 2 weeks the camera arrived, it had been sent from HK/Kowloon, not the UK. Though I had been sent a tracking No and had been able to see this. I don't consider the camera to be a grey import, and the S/N has been registered with Canon (CPS) As I now have 2 Pro cameras registered with them, I'm now entitled to preferential service treatment.

It's annoying that we have to put up with this sort of thing, maybe it's the price we must pay for getting cheaper deals.
A camera not obtained from the official channel and so via the original UK importer is definitely labelled 'grey', but sometimes this has minimal impact on the overal transaction. But in other ways, like eligibility for cashbacks and other promotions, and warranty support, may be compromised. It depends on the company really, and what you are buying. Canon are obviously not that fussed, although they actually rename their consumer models to segregate US and Japanese market variants from the rest of the world models.

Personally, I'm torn between the feeling that the world should be one open and free market, while I do feel for the traditional camera dealerships who we used to value and cherish and now are in danger of becoming extinct because they can't compete.

Ian
Old 14-02-11
Mr Iceman

Thanks for the feedback guy's, still no camera, Ive just rung them and im assured it will be here tommorow. Wish Ide gone to jessops now
I agree that there should be no such thing as grey imports and that the camera company's should accept a registration from wherever the camera is purchased and honour a relevent warrenty, I assume they are all made in the same factory anyway!
Ash.
Old 14-02-11
Forum veteran

Liked at 9 Times in 6 Posts
rogleale is on a distinguished road

Hi Ash,
I wish you luck with your D7000. I am on my second one already. The first one, bought from Rue Du Commerce in France was a disaster though not the fault of the supplier. It was obviously completely new, not a grey market item, but I sent it back within a week. The first oddity was that the first NEF I took was numbered DSC_6402. I queried this with Nikon UK and some genius there said that maybe I had used an old SDHC card! Then it rejected another SDHC card which worked correctly in my Canon S95. Reformatted in the Nikon it was again recognised and accepted as OK. Then I found out that the remote releases were not working,and whilst I waited for another answer from Nikon UK, it rejected the SDHC card again. Enough I sent it back to the shop and ordered one from Amazon UK which is working like a dream.
I would advise you Ash, at the least doubt you have send it back in the time allowed you, there has been a lot of chat on the web sites about a bad batch, a failure in Nikon QC. I don't believe all these gearheads that post on the forums at all, but in over 40 years use of Nikons this is the first time that I have had a problem so it had me worried.

Roger
Old 14-02-11
Mr Iceman

Ok cheers Roger, Ide read on the forums about the hot pixel issue on hd video, but that does not bother me at all, was not aware of any other issues.
finally got a tracking number so it should be here tommorow.
cheers
Ash.