Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories > Camera tripods, monopods, heads, and other supports

Camera tripods, monopods, heads, and other supports If it holds something up or provides support, please talk about it here.

Old 25-06-08
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road
Tripod Recomendations

Hi All,

I am looking to get a new tripod for my little 350D.

With a budget of about 50quid, what would you recomend?
Old 25-06-08
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Tripod Recomendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Hi All,

I am looking to get a new tripod for my little 350D.

With a budget of about 50quid, what would you recomend?
Are you sure that is all you can afford to spend?
Do you already have a tripod head that would go on a new model?
If it were me I think I would be inclined to push the boat out and get a Manfrotto 190ProB The difference is half a tank of petrol

Check out my BLOG too

Old 25-06-08
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Are you sure that is all you can afford to spend?
Do you already have a tripod head that would go on a new model?
If it were me I think I would be inclined to push the boat out and get a Manfrotto 190ProB The difference is half a tank of petrol
Well, to be honest with you Stephen, my wife has offered to get me one for our wedding anniversery, and I didnt want to be presumptious!
But looking at that manfrotto, its a nice peice of kit.

With the current camera and lenses I have, I have never felt the need to get an expensive, or overly sturdy tripod.
Old 25-06-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Well, to be honest with you Stephen, my wife has offered to get me one for our wedding anniversery, and I didnt want to be presumptious!

With the current camera and lenses I have, I have never felt the need to get an expensive, or overly sturdy tripod.
Ben, you can no doubt go to Jessops and get one of theirs for around 50. Frankly though they are IMHO rubbish. I have a very good friend, you will know him, who did the same, he regretted it and finally got himself a Manfrotto. I would not buy a tripod with an integral head and with a quick release plate that is not made from metal.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 25-06-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I would agree with Stephen, buy a good one. I used to have a Benbo for many years but they are bulky (the trekker perhaps isnt but it not as sturdy). I use a Monfrotto these days, which I have had for over 10 years now. Its lighter to carry than the Bembo was but equally as sturdy.

As matter of interest I have just bought a Compact ball levelling head, this fits between the tripod and camera head in my case 141RC pan & tilt.

This purchase reflects my growing interest in panoramas, the levelling head ensures the camera head is level and has easy adjustment to make this possible, without playing around adjusting the legs of the tripod in an effort to get the spirit level true.

The range of accessories for Manfrotto tripods is amazing, the distributors are also very helpful. As I said the tripod is over ten years old and had the screw type leg adjusters, I wanted the snap type and they sold me a set at a very reasonable cost to convert the tripod.

Patrick
Old 25-06-08
Forum regular

norn iron is on a distinguished road

I also agree with Stephen, I have had a Manfrotto 190 ProB for about 18 months and find it a really excellent piece of kit and now that it has an updated swinging center column it should be even better.

Ken
Old 25-06-08
Forum veteran

jojo is on a distinguished road

Hmm, bit over budget Ben, but I got a Velbon Sherpa 750R - works a treat.

jo
Old 25-06-08
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, this thread is quite timely as I have just this minute arrived back from a tour of the Manfrotto and Gitzo factories in Italy (both marques are owned by a company called Vitec, and marketed by Bogen Imaging in Europe and the US). Plus, myself and Paul Watkins are currently evaluating over half a dozen low to medium price (up to c.100) tripiods from Giottos, Cullman, Manfrotto, Slik, Velbon, Jessops, Benro, and Benbo.

As has been mentioned already, it's not just the tripod, but you need to have a decent head. I would also recommend a quick-release type head.

It's too early to give verdicts on the tripods we have in for evaluation, but I do have some news for tripod afficionados, as we were the first journalists to see the latest high-end tripods from Gitzo. These are in the same kind of regard as Leica, and with price tags to match, but the engineering that goes into them is exquisite. Their new range of ball heads are fantastic; teflon coated, unique large hollow ball design, ultra light but very adjustable and when locked, very secure. In general, I'm not a big fan of ball heads or twist lock tripod sections, but the Gitzo engineering of these features completely addresses my reservations.

We were mainly at the factories to see new carbon fibre Manfrottos (including a very nice shorter and lighter carbon fibre version of the popular 055 model) plus the new Gitzo heads.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 25-06-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by norn iron View Post
I also agree with Stephen, I have had a Manfrotto 190 ProB for about 18 months and find it a really excellent piece of kit and now that it has an updated swinging center column it should be even better.

Ken
We've been given the carbon fibre version of this model to try - including a tough day trekking around Venice in 38 degree heat and very high humidity!

I'm not sure I could have coped with tripod any heavier and the 190 carbon fibre is a featherweight

Pix coming soon...

Ian
Old 25-06-08
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I'm not sure I could have coped with tripod any heavier and the 190 carbon fibre is a featherweight

Pix coming soon...

Ian
Not a featherweight price though

Patrick
Old 25-06-08
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Not a featherweight price though

Patrick
Indeed - 249 (Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Mag Fiber Tripod - Jessops price). You can get 190 model in aluminium for under 100, but only in 3 section type compared to the carbon Pro4 (4 sections).

Ian
Old 26-06-08
Admin

Ben, I have used the Benro A-550EX - I took it to the Far East earlier in the month and used it with my Olympus E-3 and 90-250 zoom, which probably amounted to nearly 5 kilos of camera and lens

It comes with a ball head and can be had for around 80, though there aren't many outlets selling it yet. Here is one I found on Google:

http://photopal.co.uk/product_info.p...roducts_id=149

I like it because it's light (practically as light as the carbon fibre Manfrotto 190CXPro04 that I'm using at the moment), compact (4 section legs), and seems well made. The supplied ball head doesn't have a separate pan adjustment, which is a cost-issue, but apart from that it's fine and it has a good quick-release system.

Benro is a Chinese brand that copies features from Gitzo models. Gitzo is much more expensive and deservedly so, but I'm impressed with what I have seen from the Benro so far, for the money.

The Manfrotto 190 Stephen suggested is a very high quality tripod and it has the excellent quick column shift so you can turn and lock the centre column to a 90 degree configuration, useful for macro and very low angle work. It's a shame the 4-section leg version is only available in the much more expensive carbon fibre form.

As soon as I have finished evaluating the other models we have in, I'll update this thread.

But for some basic advice, I would recommend avoiding a twist lock leg tripod (though Gitzo's G-lock twist lock is actually excellent) as usually they are difficult to undo when over-tightened and the leg tubes often rotate with the lock, go for a model that has a wide angle of up and down leg movement and easy locking and unlocking, I would recommend a tripod that can use third party heads, don't be swayed by models that have wind-up columns, it would be good to know that accessories like alternative feet are available from the manufacturer, etc. 4 leg sections instead of 3 will mean a shorter tripod for packing and carrying.

Ian

Last edited by Ian; 27-06-08 at 12:28 PM.
Old 27-06-08

peak4 is on a distinguished road

Ok perhaps a little bit dear for Coupekid, but maybe of interest for others reading this thread; Bristol Cameras are doing a very cheap deal on the Velbon CF-545 Carbon fibre 4 section tripod at 120 + 10 p&p

http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/p-ve...545-ph157q.htm

Just bought one myself and whilst I've not used it much yet and haven't owned anything else to directly compare it with, it seems pretty good, though not as rigid as my Manfrotto 161.
(8Kg plus, and that's the tripod without head, not it's load capacity. ).

Deal includes a pan & tilt head which I didn't really want, but there was no discount without it. I guess I'll convert it to a hide or car window mount.

Best regards to all
Bill

The nearest I have to a home page
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
Old 27-06-08
Super Moderator

ok, thanks for all the advice everyone.

I cant believe that no one can recomend a tripod for under 80quid!

The Manfrotto is a very nice tripod, but at 80 quid, plus the head, its a little out of my price range. I have been using a Velbon tripod, which is cheap and cheerful, and served me very well. However, one of the locking legs has now bitten the dust, which after so many years, I dont think is too much to complain about. So maybe, I will look at getting another of the same.

Next time someone wants advice on a cheap car, I will recomend a Ferrari!
Old 27-06-08
Seriously addicted

Quote:
ok, thanks for all the advice everyone.

I cant believe that no one can recomend a tripod for under 80quid!

The Manfrotto is a very nice tripod, but at 80 quid, plus the head, its a little out of my price range. I have been using a Velbon tripod, which is cheap and cheerful, and served me very well. However, one of the locking legs has now bitten the dust, which after so many years, I dont think is too much to complain about. So maybe, I will look at getting another of the same.

Next time someone wants advice on a cheap car, I will recomend a Ferrari!
Pretty sure Ian mentioned one in his post Ben, inc the head and a case apparently. I saw it yesterday, when I called in at Ians. We think it would be ideal for your camera lens combo

Check out my BLOG too