Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Photo story > Eye of the camera

Eye of the camera Use this board to post your photos and to tell us about the scene you set out to capture. Don't forget that the best place for *critique* in order see how your photography might be improved, technically, remains the Image Insight Photo critique board.

Old 21-06-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 19 Times in 11 Posts
Josh Bear is on a distinguished road
A day in London with a Leica M

Dear All,

A few weeks ago I purchased a Leica M240 along with a 35 MM Summarit, 90mm Summariat, a lowepro messenger bag and a desire to disappear into one of my fav cities in the world, London. I am fortunate to live less than a hour away by train so I planned a day off work and headed in.

Having had a number of days in London previously (See various albums on my Flickr site) I didn’t have a specific plan apart from to get to know my new camera and lenses. I have been using an Olympus EM1 and I was keen to test myself without the safety blanket of auto focus.
Did I miss some great shots because either I didn’t focus in time or when I got home I could see I hadn’t focussed properly? Yes I did. Lots I also missed shots due to a lack of confidence photographing people. Still lots to learn.

During the day I experimented with the metering as I was finding some shots were underexposed, nothing that could be addressed in lightroom but still I like to get things as right as possible in camera. I shot in compressed DNG. I did do some reading on the way into London reviewing the discussions around using compressed or not but each thread on various forums seemed to quickly degenerate into techy “babble” and I was left with the impression that the quality of the photograph was not changed if you used compressed DNG. I am not looking to start that discussion here .

I am a cautious person in that I research (Over research) my purchases and it was no different with the Leica system. To those forum lurkers wondering whether to make the leap from a DSLR or micro four thirds system my opinion is yes do it. But do it for the right reasons. Moving to a leica will not make you a better photographer. The camera and lenses will not deliver the comfort of point, autofocus, shoot. But, the move could spark the excitement in learning new skills in an established hobby. It could make you slow down and consider what you are trying to do and it could reinvigorate your creative thinking.

Anyway enough on the system. Back to the day. I got the 5.56 am train from home. I had no intention of going in for dawn at 4.45am! After arrival at Waterloo I spent some time there before walking to the Millennium bridge and from their to London Bridge Tube. I travelled by tube to Southwark but unfortunately the market was barely awake and I promised myself I would come back later. I forgot!

During the day I visited St Pauls, the city, convent garden, the British museum, Oxford street, and surrounding areas. Here are my Fav photographs from the day.

More on the flickr photo stream. I hope I give a good account of a great city and a great camera.
Best regards

Josh--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/joshbear/

The Following 3 Users say to Josh Bear they like this post:
Caz (22-06-14), Graham_of_Rainham (22-06-14), Tom Holle (22-06-14)
Old 22-06-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road
Re: A day in London with a Leica M

Hi Josh,
It is always fun for me to see a "new" M Leica user who hasn't formed any RF bad habits. I think that you have expressed what you want from the rangefinder approach very well. If I try to do that it gets all tangled up in the 40 years of messing around with Leicas. Before the Leicas it was Contax RFs.
Very nice pictures and I'll be looking for more.
Bob
Old 22-06-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: A day in London with a Leica M

I enjoy seeing a good bit of "street" photography.

Nicely done
Old 22-06-14
Forum veteran

Thanks Graham. I have still got a lot of learning to do about street photography but I am enjoying the challenge.

Thanks Bob. I had no idea you were a long time a leica user. I would love to have your perspectives on the bad habits so I can avoid them . I am in reading a book about my camera but so far it is about the technical aspects.

Thanks

Josh
Old 22-06-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bear View Post
Thanks Graham. I have still got a lot of learning to do about street photography but I am enjoying the challenge.

Thanks Bob. I had no idea you were a long time a leica user. I would love to have your perspectives on the bad habits so I can avoid them . I am in reading a book about my camera but so far it is about the technical aspects.

Thanks

Josh
In those "olden days" you might chance to run into a few Leica users and magazine articles were about new stuff coming out. The "practice" was a subject of self study and plenty of experiments (and mistakes). Lenses were obtained one per decade and that suited the "learning the lens" period, too.
Starting out with RFs also bred some angst and a longing for what you can't do like easy macro and long tele.It was very exciting to get my first SLR
Today's connected environment and digital imaging certainly changes the learning curve, but you still have to "teach yourself" and that makes life interesting.
Bob
Old 22-06-14
Forum veteran

Thanks Bob. Appreciate the response.

josh