Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 19-09-14
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: My latest discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Thanks, if it ever happens. The drama is like "We know this will work for you but we can't do it without another test and another expert looks at your 77 year old body" ....
Bob
That's terrrible, very tough to bear being messed around that way! It should be about *quality* of life and there's plenty life left in someone aged 77 and they should be doing all they can to improve the quality of life and mobility.

My mother-in-law will be 95 in November. She's still living in her own little cottage, still hobbling about with a frame. She fell and had a fractured femur when she was 76, was in hospital for a few week having it sorted. She's since broken another bone in the other leg and they repaired that for her. She also tried to persuade her dentist she was too old for an extraction when she was 92 - but she had it done and got herself back home with her walking frame. She a tiny, frail looking woman who is rarely more than about 6st weight, spent her entire life worrying about her figure and borders on Anorexia - but that's never deterred her GP and other Drs from enabling her to carry on being as independent as possible.

TBH she sometimes makes me feel useless. She may be small, fussing about her figure but nobody ever suggested she was 'too old' or too frail' - even though she's sometimes told them herself she's 'past it and too old'.

Stay positive and fingers crossed that shoulder will be sorted out soon!

Pol
Old 20-09-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

That is a wonderfull story and I shared it with Sharon, whose mother was similar...lived alone, didn't break any bones and passes along when he was 96. This drama we have also has the feeling that the Universe is telling us "don't do it". One of our kitties joined in in a tragic way. We woke Sunday to our youngest kitty screaming/howling in pain. We rushed it to the emergency vet and found that he was throwing blood clots and it was like a massive stroke. So, we had to put poor Chang down. In the course of this event Sharon got snagged on the right thumb by Chang's tooth/fang and it proceeded to get infected and swollen. That got treated but it also put off any serious surgery until fully healed.
So Sharon is shifting to a wait & see mode.
Bob
Old 20-09-14
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
That is a wonderfull story and I shared it with Sharon, whose mother was similar...lived alone, didn't break any bones and passes along when he was 96. This drama we have also has the feeling that the Universe is telling us "don't do it". One of our kitties joined in in a tragic way. We woke Sunday to our youngest kitty screaming/howling in pain. We rushed it to the emergency vet and found that he was throwing blood clots and it was like a massive stroke. So, we had to put poor Chang down. In the course of this event Sharon got snagged on the right thumb by Chang's tooth/fang and it proceeded to get infected and swollen. That got treated but it also put off any serious surgery until fully healed.
So Sharon is shifting to a wait & see mode.
Bob
Oh dear, you're having a really rotten time of it just now!

I'm ever so sorry to hear about the kitty, it's always such a sad time when you lose a much loved pet. I think you're absolutely right to try to sit it out and just wait and see, go with the flow and do your best to enjoy each day as best you can.

David has trigger thumb at the moment, just one hand but the other one is getting iffy - so he's wearing a splint. There's no two ways about it - we're rapidly becoming a pair of lame old crocks.

Old age sucks but at least we still have enough teeth left so at least we don't have to suck our food ... yet!

Stay strong and pass on my very best wishes to Sharon.

Pol
Old 21-09-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

Your "still have enough teeth.." remark brought the following picture to mind. It is from a get together at the end of July ....The Toothy mob in Texas ....

From the top right Me, my brother Larry, his wife Irene. bottom from right: Sharon, Amber and Cathy(Amber's mom). Irene is a twin and her twin's husband took the shot with my Nikon 1 V2. He caught the teeth....
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Ross For This Useful Post:
Pol (21-09-14)
The Following User likes this post by Bob Ross:
Pol (21-09-14)
Old 21-09-14
Ancient Geek

Thumbs up Re: My latest discovery.

Oh wow, that is such a FABULOUS picture, so happy and sunny, so lovely to look at and imagine you all together there in Texas.

Thanks for that.

Pol