Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 09-09-14
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Cool My latest discovery.

The Man Overboard Quintet.

I quote from the blurb ... These amazing musicians take swing music from the 1920s and 30s and reinterpret it for today's audience.

Pol
Old 10-09-14
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road
Re: My latest discovery.

You found a goldmine.
My head started bobbing and my foot started swinging within the first few seconds.
Smooth and very relaxing
Old 10-09-14
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
You found a goldmine.
My head started bobbing and my foot started swinging within the first few seconds.
Smooth and very relaxing

My jazz fanatic son drew my attention to them. He's opened my eyes and ears to all sorts of things I'd never have discovered for myself (a bit like 'drummer' did for me over in the green place).

I think they have a CD coming out in 2015.

Pol
Old 10-09-14
Super Moderator

Did you see the telly prog last night featuring James Rhodes the concert pianist? (itv 19.30)
He is trying to introduce music into schools. He found out that the majority of schools have less than £200 per year allocated to music. That didn't stop him.... he made hundreds of appeals for instruments to be donated and even put on a one man concert to raise funds. The appeal as now gone national with Dr Barnado's outlets accepting them for onward distribution.
He is now forming an orchestra at one school in the hope of making a difference. He is convinced that it will improve the childrens general behaviour and up to now its working.
Part 2 is on next Tuesday
Pol (10-09-14)
Old 10-09-14
Ancient Geek

I didn't see it, we very rarely watch television. He's right though, children should have every possible opportunity to learn about music and to play instruments and enjoy it. My school had an orchestra but I was never good enough to be a member.

I learned piano and classical guitar. I wasn't much use with either instrument but nevertheless enjoyed them.

There's a 'Rock School' about 5 miles up the road from here. It's out in the sticks and they teach drums there. I would love a set of drums but it's probably not gonna happen now.

Pol
Old 10-09-14
Ancient Geek

Smile Re: My latest discovery.

P.S ... here are some of the links concerning Rock Schools and the sort of thing kids, or anyone else, can enjoy these days. They also have 'Rock exams - graded the same way classical music exams are graded.

http://soundhubkent.com/activities/j...-music-school/

http://www.twmusicschool.com/

'drummer' from the green place was still teaching enthusiastic kids free of charge last time I spoke with him. He's also highly skilled at editing and production having worked many years as a session musician with some of the best. He was greatly undervalued in that green place imo. I loved him to bits but I couldn't manage to persuade him to come to any other forums after we all got kicked out of there.

Pol
Old 10-09-14
Ancient Geek

Talking Re: My latest discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
And if I hadn't injured my left shoulder and right wrist I'd probably be making a right old fool of myself in the TW Music School drum studio.

Here's a nice video showing what happens there and the rural setting (so no neighbours to moan).

Pol
Old 10-09-14
Super Moderator

Amazing how just one person with a vision can start the ball rolling.
Old 10-09-14
Ancient Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Amazing how just one person with a vision can start the ball rolling.
Too true! There are Rock Schools all over the UK and the Rock School music lessons, grades and exams must be so much fun for young people. It makes me wish I was a kid again.

Here's the link to the official rock exam system. There's also a link to some superb tutorial clips on YouTube tutorial for preparation for exams with various instruments as well as voice training etc. There's also a list of where to find teachers, do the exams etc.

http://www.rockschool.co.uk/

Brilliant stuff for enthusiastic kids.

Pol
Old 10-09-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

I'm still listening to it. I love it and so does Roy. Just can't wait until the cd comes out. Thanks for sharing.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 11-09-14
Ancient Geek

Smile Re: My latest discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm still listening to it. I love it and so does Roy. Just can't wait until the cd comes out. Thanks for sharing.
Aye it's one of those recordings that stays with you all day. They have a website at -

http://manoverboardswing.co.uk/

Pol
Old 11-09-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

What fun Pol, thanks for the link. We have a granddaughter into Violin and high school orchestra. I have seen several studies that show that students into learning music are showing better grades overall. My current attempt to preserve gray cell is teaching myself Hawaiian Slack key guitar
Bob
Old 11-09-14
Ancient Geek

Thumbs up Re: My latest discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
What fun Pol, thanks for the link. We have a granddaughter into Violin and high school orchestra. I have seen several studies that show that students into learning music are showing better grades overall. My current attempt to preserve gray cell is teaching myself Hawaiian Slack key guitar
Bob
That's brilliant! My own school was very 'into' music and we also had an orchestra. Several pupils went on to have professional musical careers, some full time, others part time.

One (married) couple, from my old school, are currently living in Eagle Lake and she plays second violin with the Fort Bend Symphony Orchestra. He's a pianist though not with the orchestra but still performing at events etc last I heard.

http://www.fbso.org/home.html

The place where Man Overboard was featured is called 'Sinfinimusic' and they have a website where they have an article about 'crossover' music and musicians, blurring the boundaries of genres and also what they describe as 'cutting through classical music. The link is ...

http://www.sinfinimusic.com/uk

That's great about you and your Slack Key guitar too! I had to give up the guitar, to choose between piano and guitar as my fingernails had to be long for one and short for the other. The piano was always gong to win, no contest. I just wish I could play better. My teacher was always spot on when he used I was high on passion but low on talent.

I learned Classical guitar at the Spanish Guitar Centre (London), taught by Peter Calvo. His abiding comment was i wasn't 'strident enough' ... so there y'go.

I always had very good but very honest and realistic teachers who never made me feel like a failure (though that' s what I was, still am) nor did they ever diminish my enthusiasm for listening and enjoying all sorts of music - they actively encouraged it.

Pol
Old 12-09-14
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

Hi POl,
My guitar was all self taught in my college days to be a folk singer. Today my singing voice has gone to where film cameras are resting. My original guitar is now 52 years old and the house that I painted to get the money for it has probably been painted three times again ..
What has been a surprise in a good way is how Amber has taken to the Violin and it is fun to watch her fool around on an old guitar of her mothers.
I may have stirred my older brother into getting his guitars out (a 12 string and a 6 string). He too was a self taught folk signer and he played and sang in bars when he was in Med School.
Good fun.
Bob
The Following User likes this post by Bob Ross:
Pol (12-09-14)
Old 12-09-14
Ancient Geek

Talking Re: My latest discovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Hi POl,
My guitar was all self taught in my college days to be a folk singer. Today my singing voice has gone to where film cameras are resting. My original guitar is now 52 years old and the house that I painted to get the money for it has probably been painted three times again ..
What has been a surprise in a good way is how Amber has taken to the Violin and it is fun to watch her fool around on an old guitar of her mothers.
I may have stirred my older brother into getting his guitars out (a 12 string and a 6 string). He too was a self taught folk signer and he played and sang in bars when he was in Med School.
Good fun.
Bob
I was a self-taught Guitarist too, taught myself on a fairly cheap instrument, the best I could afford at that time. When I wanted to learn classical guitar I had to have a more suitable instrument and the one I wanted was a Harald Petersen B (the 1968 model). I couldn't afford it so I went to busk near my father's office and timed it to cause him maximum embarrassment. My plan worked and he bought the Petersen for me but only on condition I never went busking again and that I should also go back to my 'proper job'. I went back to my job part time and never busked near his office again.

I did a bit of folk singing on TV, not a lot but enough to earn a few extra to help pay for my corny, erratic lifestyle. I might still have a picture from that time. Pops has seen it in the past, I'll see if I can find a copy and, if so, I'll post it.

That's great for Amber! There's nothing to compare with the fun and satisfaction of playing an instrument, conquering a difficult passage or just jamming with a friend.

Last time I did anything like that was when I accompanied a friend on piano when she was preparing to sit her Grade 8 Flute exams and I also accompanied another friend, my ex-flatmate, as she prepared for her Grade 6 violin exams. I couldn't do anything like that now, I'm not strong enough and I don't practice enough either.

I don't sing anymore either, except in the bath and around the house!

Pol
The Following User likes this post by Pol:
Rodbender (21-09-14)