Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > Accessories > Camera tripods, monopods, heads, and other supports

Camera tripods, monopods, heads, and other supports If it holds something up or provides support, please talk about it here.

Old 08-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Support Needed - Please advise

I did an all day shoot at the weekend, with some heavy kit and got the shakes two thirds the way through. This getting old lark is really starting to annoy me...

I need user experience advice on a support that will take a 3-5kg setup.

I'm thinking Monopod, but I am 6'3" (1.9m) so it needs to go up to a minimum of 65" (165cm), so I don't end up bent over when in use. While weight is not too important, a lightweight one would be prefered.

SO:

If you happen to have one and would be kind enough to share your opinions

OR:

If anyone can post a good review of monopods, I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you
Old 08-07-09
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Support Needed - Please advise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I did an all day shoot at the weekend, with some heavy kit and got the shakes two thirds the way through. This getting old lark is really starting to annoy me...

I need user experience advice on a support that will take a 3-5kg setup.

I'm thinking Monopod, but I am 6'3" (1.9m) so it needs to go up to a minimum of 65" (165cm), so I don't end up bent over when in use. While weight is not too important, a lightweight one would be prefered.

SO:

If you happen to have one and would be kind enough to share your opinions

OR:

If anyone can post a good review of monopods, I'd be very appreciative.

Thank you
Graham, I use a Manfrotto Neotec Monopod 685B. In my opinion its one of the finest monopods ever invented. With all other regular monopods and tripods, each section of the leg(s) have to be released and locked. Not with the Neotec though. You just put your foot on the bottom and pull up to the height you need, it will go a fair bit higher than your minimum requirements. To release or lower the monopod there is a pistol style grip which you squeeze and the whole leg lowers to wherever you need it. Its not the shortest or lightest, but once you use it you will never go back to a regular monopod. You will also need to buy a head for it too, the 234RC is perfectly adequate.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 10-07-09
Forum veteran

Stephen,

Once again I think you are right, and thank you for pointing this one out. I'll be looking for a local stockist and will give it a try.

Thanks
Old 11-07-09
Gina

I've got a manfrotto monopod but can't use it because the thread size is bigger than my camera. I believe it's 3/4 ins vs 1/4 ins. I've tried looking for a convertor but the only thing I could find would have made the camera unstable.

You are quite welcome to it as It's unusable to me, gutted!

Gina
Old 11-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Hi Gina,
Not sure if I got it properly ...but
If the problem you have is the size difference of the monopod thread, one way is, as you seemed to have already tried, to use a converter from 3/8 to 1/4". There seems to be one more way...Not sure if this applies to your particular monopod, though. ( I imagine most likely it does.)

Well, I just wanted to say that a thread used on most monopods/tripods have two-way usage.
The one I have at hand is not Manfrotto but the thread size can be changed easily like this. (I guess my Manfrotto tripod, not at hand now, has also the double sided thread, iirc.)

To shorten verbal explanation, I attach some pics.

pic #1: currently the 3/8" thead is shown here.
pic#2: dismantle the plate
pic#3: you will see the same thread has both 3/8" and 1/4" thread on each side.
pic#4: So just use the other side of the thread
pic#5: then finished.

If this has nothing to do with your problem just ignore this, please.

yoshi

p.s. I do not mean to interrupt the deal, in any sense, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Image00001.jpg   Image00002.jpg   Image00003.jpg   Image00004.jpg   Image00005.jpg  

Old 11-07-09
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I've got a manfrotto monopod but can't use it because the thread size is bigger than my camera. I believe it's 3/4 ins vs 1/4 ins. I've tried looking for a convertor but the only thing I could find would have made the camera unstable.

You are quite welcome to it as It's unusable to me, gutted!

Gina
Gina, Yoshi's suggestion is a good one and it may work for you.

If not, try a search for a 'bush screw adaptor' in the requisite size. I've had them from 'Morris Photo' and seen them in various other online outlets. You might also find what you want at Amazon. They're small and not very expensive - usually about 2 or thereabouts.

It may even be the one you need (I'm not sure what you want to convert from/to) They're tiny things, easily dropped and lost so get yourself one or two spares when you find the one you want.

Hope that helps.

Pol
Old 11-07-09
Ancient Geek

Gina,

I've just been away hunting down a relevant page from Morris Photographic where I've bought a few things myself, including bush adaptors.

Here's a Morris Photo link that might be useful (and these outlets are usually very willing to talk and advise on the phone too if necessary).

Pol
Old 11-07-09
Gina

Thank you Pol and Yoshi,

I'll have a look at these options, thank you so much, I'll let you know how I got on.

Gina
Old 11-07-09
Forum veteran

Thumbs up Re: Support Needed - Please advise

Gina,

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm sure that the adjustment shown or suggested can be made and that it will serve you well. I certianly hope so as I too would find this to be very frustrating, especially from such a good maker.

Regards
Old 11-07-09
Ancient Geek

I was just thinking - we're waffling on about adaptors for the top of the monopod but the best solution would probably be to get a Manfrotts head for it - like the one Stephen mentioned at the top of this thread.

The 234RC is a recommended accessory for lots of the Manfrotto monopods, a sensible price to at about 20-25 depending on where you buy it.

Here's the link to the one from Warehouse Express

The head would probably screw directly onto your monopod then the quick release (QR) plate on the 234RC head would fit directly onto your camera. Having a head is also much more versatile than just fitting the camera directly onto the top of the Monopod. The head allows you to tilt the camera rather than just having it in a fixed position.

Pol
Old 12-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
I was just thinking - we're waffling on about adaptors for the top of the monopod but the best solution would probably be to get a Manfrotts head for it - like the one Stephen mentioned at the top of this thread.
Pol
Exactly. That's what I also thought about later last night and read here now your posting, Pol.
Just find a ball head that accept the 3/8" thread. The best soulution often comes later? - I wonder.
yoshi
Old 12-07-09
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Exactly. That's what I also thought about later last night and read here now your posting, Pol.
Just find a ball head that accept the 3/8" thread. The best soulution often comes later? - I wonder.
yoshi
I had been puzzled by this subject until the last few posts, I assumed there was a head on the mono pod.
The thread on mono pods sold without a head, as is the case with tripods sold without a head, is for a head of the users choice to be fitted, and not for the camera direct.

Patrick
Old 12-07-09
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I had been puzzled by this subject until the last few posts, I assumed there was a head on the mono pod.
The thread on mono pods sold without a head, as is the case with tripods sold without a head, is for a head of the users choice to be fitted, and not for the camera direct.

Patrick
Indeed, and I might add that in my opinion a ball head is far from ideal on a monopod. The one I and Pol mentioned is as good as any

Check out my BLOG too

Old 12-07-09
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
... in my opinion a ball head is far from ideal on a monopod.

As I'm just about to spend some hard earned on this setup, and was looking at "Ball" heads, what is it that has led you to this opinion. I am genuinely interested in user comments, as this is one of the few bits of kit I havn't used and would prefer to get the right thing for the job and really prefer to keep things simple.

Thanks
Old 12-07-09
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post

As I'm just about to spend some hard earned on this setup, and was looking at "Ball" heads, what is it that has led you to this opinion. I am genuinely interested in user comments, as this is one of the few bits of kit I havn't used and would prefer to get the right thing for the job and really prefer to keep things simple.

Thanks
Graham, the reason is that when you release a ball head, it has the potential to flop in any direction, which can be dangerous and requires more control of the camera. Now on a Monopod you don't really need this. Movement of the head in one plane only is really all that's needed, and the 234RC does this admirably, not to mention its cheaper than a ball head. Monopods come into there own when using long lenses, especially those with a collar mount enabling you to rotate the whole camera without moving the head.

Check out my BLOG too