Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  
 
advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > DPNow photo gallery > Golden Gallery discussion

Golden Gallery discussion Discuss the qualities of the pictures featured in the super-gallery, where only exceptional images are displayed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 24-03-09
Golden Gallery Golden Gallery is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Golden Gallery is on a distinguished road
New photo in Golden Gallery

It has been quite a while since we had a new photo in the Golden Gallery, but today non member Eyal Zarrods picture of Fishermen at Sunset caught our eye. I'm afraid we know little about Eyal or where the photo was taken. Suffice to say we like his photo, and hope he will now register on the site and start his own free gallery so he can show us some more of his great photography.

If you feel you have a photo good enough for the Golden Gallery then why not try submitting it at http://dpnow.com/goldengallery.html
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 24-03-09
Gina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

I don't feel that it is right or fair to put a non-member's image in the "Golden Gallery". For a start, as you state ...

I'm afraid we know little about Eyal or where the photo was taken. Suffice to say we like his photo, and hope he will now register on the site and start his own free gallery so he can show us some more of his great photography.

I am perhaps speaking out of turn here but what is the point in being a member of this site if you do this? The photo is indeed very good but my point is now logged.

How does everyone else feel about this?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 24-03-09
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,317
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 154 Times in 132 Posts
Likes: 432
Liked at 245 Times in 193 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I don't feel that it is right or fair to put a non-member's image in the "Golden Gallery". For a start, as you state ...

I'm afraid we know little about Eyal or where the photo was taken. Suffice to say we like his photo, and hope he will now register on the site and start his own free gallery so he can show us some more of his great photography.

I am perhaps speaking out of turn here but what is the point in being a member of this site if you do this? The photo is indeed very good but my point is now logged.

How does everyone else feel about this?
One of the purposes behind the Golden Gallery was to attract new talent to DPNow. We'll invite Eyal to join the forum - hopefully he will accept.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 24-03-09
Golden Gallery Golden Gallery is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Golden Gallery is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Gina I can assure you that this very point was discussed and it was decided that the rules have never stated that photos have to be submitted by registered members. In this instance then we decided to include the photo

Golden Gallery Admin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 25-03-09
Gina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

So how do you know that any submission is the original work of the person? Have you considered that it could be stolen work and how would you check this?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25-03-09
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
So how do you know that any submission is the original work of the person? Have you considered that it could be stolen work and how would you check this?
Hi Gina, you make a fair point. In this instance the picture appears on the home page of Eyals website so I don't think there is any doubt. In truth though the same issue applies to any image put in the galleries or shown on the site, and therefore we have to trust that work is the peoples own
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25-03-09
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,317
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 154 Times in 132 Posts
Likes: 432
Liked at 245 Times in 193 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
So how do you know that any submission is the original work of the person? Have you considered that it could be stolen work and how would you check this?
Well, we do have to work on trust. This would apply similarly to both registered and non-registered photographers. We have occasionally had work posted that was not the work of the poster and, once discovered, it has been removed.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25-03-09
Gina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Thanks for your explanations.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-03-09
Autumn's Avatar
Autumn Autumn is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,150
Thanks: 118
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Likes: 295
Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

I agree with Gina on this.

What puzzles me Ian, is that you say, "But today non member Eyal Zarrods picture of Fishermen at Sunset caught our eye."

Where did it catch your eye? I didn't know people could upload pictures unless they had a gallery, which comes with being a member.

Do you mean that you spotted it on the internet or is it somewhere on DPNow and I haven't spotted it?

If you know nothing about him, how can you get it touch with him? I have done a forum search by his name and the name of the photograph but nothing shows.

BTW I like the photo.
__________________
Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-03-09
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I agree with Gina on this.

What puzzles me Ian, is that you say, "But today non member Eyal Zarrods picture of Fishermen at Sunset caught our eye."

Where did it catch your eye? I didn't know people could upload pictures unless they had a gallery, which comes with being a member.

Do you mean that you spotted it on the internet or is it somewhere on DPNow and I haven't spotted it?

If you know nothing about him, how can you get it touch with him? I have done a forum search by his name and the name of the photograph but nothing shows.

BTW I like the photo.
Audrey, anyone can upload and submit a photo for consideration to the Golden Gallery at http://dpnow.com/goldengallery.html.

There are many people who sign up for the DPNow newsletter and therefore receive information about the site including the Golden Gallery, it is also promoted on the Portal page and in every POTD.

We are trying to encourage examples of excellence and talent to the site. We would like to see more submissions, but frankly there are few from the regular forum members. It is therefore open to anyone and we hope that in so doing more people will join and give everyone something to aspire to
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 25-03-09
Autumn's Avatar
Autumn Autumn is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,150
Thanks: 118
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts
Likes: 295
Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Autumn is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Audrey, anyone can upload and submit a photo for consideration to the Golden Gallery at http://dpnow.com/goldengallery.html.

There are many people who sign up for the DPNow newsletter and therefore receive information about the site including the Golden Gallery, it is also promoted on the Portal page and in every POTD.

We are trying to encourage examples of excellence and talent to the site. We would like to see more submissions, but frankly there are few from the regular forum members. It is therefore open to anyone and we hope that in so doing more people will join and give everyone something to aspire to
Are you saying that members should put their own photographs forward for Golden Gallery? I thought someone had to spot a members photo and then suggest it for the Golden Gallery.
__________________
Audrey

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 25-03-09
Stephen's Avatar
Stephen Stephen is offline
Seriously addicted
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Wakefield, W.Yorks.
Posts: 4,319
Blog Entries: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Are you saying that members should put their own photographs forward for Golden Gallery? I thought someone had to spot a members photo and then suggest it for the Golden Gallery.
Precisely so Audrey, members should put their photos forward.
__________________
Stephen



Check out my BLOG too


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25-03-09
Gina
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
We are trying to encourage examples of excellence and talent to the site. We would like to see more submissions, but frankly there are few from the regular forum members. It is therefore open to anyone and we hope that in so doing more people will join and give everyone something to aspire to

I was under the impression this site was for photographers of all levels of ability. I think we all aspire to be better but you are looking for an 'elite' group. Some of us will never be at a professional level but if it wasn't for the input of the few regular members here this site would die. If you are looking for DP Now to become a professional elitist website then good luck to you. Who are the judges of the GG and what qualifies them to pick what get's through?

The Golden Gallery is a farce anyway, judged by just a few people - why is that? I would like to see more interaction with the members of this site/forum instead of how it is at present. It would be more democratic to put images submitted in the arena so that we can all have an opinion wouldn't it? Something like POTD. This is not about the images, it's about the politics of this site and at the moment, it's not good.

I think we all strive to upload our best work here and over the years have had much advice and made a few good friends but I think it's unfair to established members that you have allowed this action, especially as no one but the admin have seen it.

Thanks Audrey for your support x
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 25-03-09
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Admin
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hemel Hempstead UK
Posts: 10,317
Blog Entries: 282
Thanks: 99
Thanked 154 Times in 132 Posts
Likes: 432
Liked at 245 Times in 193 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina View Post
I was under the impression this site was for photographers of all levels of ability. I think we all aspire to be better but you are looking for an 'elite' group. Some of us will never be at a professional level but if it wasn't for the input of the few regular members here this site would die. If you are looking for DP Now to become a professional elitist website then good luck to you. Who are the judges of the GG and what qualifies them to pick what get's through?

The Golden Gallery is a farce anyway, judged by just a few people - why is that? I would like to see more interaction with the members of this site/forum instead of how it is at present. It would be more democratic to put images submitted in the arena so that we can all have an opinion wouldn't it? Something like POTD. This is not about the images, it's about the politics of this site and at the moment, it's not good.

I think we all strive to upload our best work here and over the years have had much advice and made a few good friends but I think it's unfair to established members that you have allowed this action, especially as no one but the admin have seen it.

Thanks Audrey for your support x
Hi Gina,

I'm very concerned that you seem to feel that the Golden Gallery is elitist or unfair. That is really not our intention at all. I think we all have a common interest - in discovering and enjoying great photos, whether we create them ourselves or enjoy the work of others.

The purpose of the Golden Gallery is to inspire photographers, whether they are DPNow members or not, to achieve very high standards of work, and for us to showcase it. This should bring added enjoyment to DPNow visitors and to give us all a benchmark to achieve in our own photography. I'm pleased that several DPNow regulars have pictures in the Golden Gallery, but why should we limit submissions to forum members? Surely that would be self-defeating?

It's true that it's mainly Stephen and I that vet the submissions. If you feel that our choices to date are not good, then let's debate merits of those pictures. I'd add that it's much easier to appreciate a great picture than it is to create one, so I don't take any particular special credit for doing the job of sorting the submissions, and I feel Stephen would feel the same.

There are quite a few sites that do just what we do on the Golden Gallery, but to a much larger scale.

I'm very sorry if the concept of the Golden Gallery is objectionable to you - really sorry - but the truth is that it was conceived to add interest and enjoyment for all on DPNow. I hope that this explanation goes some way to allaying any concerns you have had on this topic.

Ian
__________________
Founder/editor
Digital Photography Now (DPNow.com)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 25-03-09
Mike Parr Mike Parr is offline
Forum veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cornwall
Posts: 787
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Mike Parr is on a distinguished road
Re: New photo in Golden Gallery

Ian,
Unfotunately I think that by selecting a so called golden group of pictures you have inadvertantly created an elitist group by virtue you have discarded what could be percieved as lesser images. Now I do believe this was not your intention, the fact that the selection process is carried out by only a select few, (whose ability is in no way being questioned here), it comes across as similar to being eligible for The World Series.

Again unfortunatly the WWW is a wonderful thing but it is not truly transparent to peoples thoughts and ideas, and I feel that selection procedures should be more transparent.
I can agree with Gina on most of her points but also feel that you have the best intentions for the site, hopefully this debate will let you know how this site is an important part of peoples photographic interests and people will feel again that this is a site truly worthy of its reputation in that all members are invited to join in all aspects of this site.
regards
Mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Mono photo from Horacio in Golden Gallery Golden Gallery Golden Gallery discussion 3 01-12-08 10:51 PM
New photo in Golden Gallery for Pewidane Golden Gallery Golden Gallery discussion 1 16-10-08 06:54 PM
New photo for ddigit on the Golden Gallery Golden Gallery Golden Gallery discussion 0 17-05-08 02:44 PM
New photo in Golden Gallery for Pewidane Golden Gallery Golden Gallery discussion 0 20-01-08 05:41 PM
New photo in Golden Gallery Golden Gallery Golden Gallery discussion 0 19-11-07 05:42 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Digital Photography Now, 2001-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger