Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Help and advice for beginners

Help and advice for beginners If you don't classify yourself as being particularly expert or experienced and you have a question or problem that you need help with in the area of improving images, this is the board to get the assistance you seek.

Old 28-10-06
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
bigbob is on a distinguished road
Re: New Camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I'm interested that you have both the D2X and a Fujifilm S3 Pro - can you summarise the differences in image quality? I take it for granted that the D2X is faster to use and, from my experience, has the better user interface, but I'm particularly interested in the image quality aspects that others value.

Ian

Hello Ian .
Regarding your query about the 2 camera's .
In terms of image quality the D2x is sharper and cleaner than the Fuji , but the Fuji wins in low light and portrait shots IMO .
The Fuji is slower 2fps against the Nikons 8fps (max)
and the Fujis buffer only allows 5 frames RAW before it fills .
The Dynamic range of the Fuji is greater than the Nikon , so it's a better landscape camera in bright conditions .
D2X 's battery lasts forever while the S3 still uses AA's , both are capable of over 400 fine jpeg on a full battery .
Colours are different too , the reds and greens on the S3 are more vibrant than the D2 .
You'll need a degree to work out the menu on the Nikon every conceivable setting can be customised to your personall preferences .
And can be saved in 4 banks for future use .
All in all the Nikon is a far better camera (should be for the price ) but i can pick up either one and not worry about the picture quality .
Both are great camera's but for slightly different usages .
B..
Old 30-10-06
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: New Camera

Thanks for that (and reproducing it after sending it to me originally by email )

Nikon tells me that the default tone settings for the D200 are quite restrained, but of course you can customise these with some precision, so you could probably simulate the colour response of the S3 Pro quite well. Dynamic range is another matter, though.

The D200 has more usable resolution too, according to my tests at least.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/