Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Help and advice for beginners

Help and advice for beginners If you don't classify yourself as being particularly expert or experienced and you have a question or problem that you need help with in the area of improving images, this is the board to get the assistance you seek.

Old 09-10-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
lourensb is on a distinguished road
Lighting Help

Hi Guys.

I need some help please. And I might get a lot of whoo Haa... But I would like to get some Advise from the Experienced guys here.

As most of you know, I recently bought the 400D Canon. Over all. I am extreemly satisfied with the photos. This is for Personal use.

Over the Weekend. I decided to do a "Model" shoot. Where my GF is the Model.
I have NO other Equipment, other than the Camera, and a 18mm - 200mm Sigma lens. And a Tripod.

I am broke at this stage, and don't know when there will be spare cash for Equipment.

Here is the Problem. I took Loads of Photos. (With the Standard flash)
And the photos looked ok..

However, When I view these Fotos in Full Size, the models eye is soft, out of Focus. I Spesificaly made sure every shot, I have the focus on the eye of the model ?

What could be the Problem here. I shoot in Different modes. But there are a lot of these Soft eye Shots.

Why would this happen... is this Bad lighting, and if its the lighting, how do I work arround this.

I don't have Cash available at this point for more equipment.

Is there like everyday Products that I can use for this. Like a Normal Spotlight, and so on.. .

Is there any experienced Model photogs here, who is willing to give me First hand advise..

or a low down of what is the involvement here?

I would really appreciate it ?
Old 09-10-07
Seriously addicted

Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Lighting Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by lourensb View Post
Hi Guys.

I need some help please. And I might get a lot of whoo Haa... But I would like to get some Advise from the Experienced guys here.

As most of you know, I recently bought the 400D Canon. Over all. I am extreemly satisfied with the photos. This is for Personal use.

Over the Weekend. I decided to do a "Model" shoot. Where my GF is the Model.
I have NO other Equipment, other than the Camera, and a 18mm - 200mm Sigma lens. And a Tripod.

I am broke at this stage, and don't know when there will be spare cash for Equipment.

Here is the Problem. I took Loads of Photos. (With the Standard flash)
And the photos looked ok..

However, When I view these Fotos in Full Size, the models eye is soft, out of Focus. I Spesificaly made sure every shot, I have the focus on the eye of the model ?

What could be the Problem here. I shoot in Different modes. But there are a lot of these Soft eye Shots.

Why would this happen... is this Bad lighting, and if its the lighting, how do I work arround this.

I don't have Cash available at this point for more equipment.

Is there like everyday Products that I can use for this. Like a Normal Spotlight, and so on.. .

Is there any experienced Model photogs here, who is willing to give me First hand advise..

or a low down of what is the involvement here?

I would really appreciate it ?
What were the conditions under which you took these shots? Was it indoors or outdoors etc. We need to establish what the light levels were like. What shutter speeds were you using?

If you were doing it indoors with low light levels then the on camera flash really is no good for this type of work. You may be better using available light and trying to boost this with some sort of reflector. Large sheets of white card, or polystyrene, maybe a white sheet will throw some light back. You may need to use a tripod and slow shutter speeds in order to get a suitable aperture. However this will mean your model having to stay very still to avoid any movement blur.

Without seeing an example of your problem its difficult to say more.

Check out my BLOG too

Old 09-10-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
What were the conditions under which you took these shots? Was it indoors or outdoors etc. We need to establish what the light levels were like. What shutter speeds were you using?

If you were doing it indoors with low light levels then the on camera flash really is no good for this type of work. You may be better using available light and trying to boost this with some sort of reflector. Large sheets of white card, or polystyrene, maybe a white sheet will throw some light back. You may need to use a tripod and slow shutter speeds in order to get a suitable aperture. However this will mean your model having to stay very still to avoid any movement blur.

Without seeing an example of your problem its difficult to say more.
HI Stephen.

This was indoors, with quite low light. Mainly (The First time) I only used the Light in the Room.. Witch was quite dim.

And the Flash. Not sure witch Shater Speeds though. Will have to check the Photos details.

The Second time, I used 2 bed lamps type of Thingies in the Same room.

So the Conditions is not the Ideal, and me being a noob at this, actualy have no Idea where to Start of.

So taking the Results of my Photos, Seeing the Eye is out of Focus, Whilst Spesificaly I made sure everyshot, the Focus is set on the Eyes.

Made me Post this.

The Photos looks ok.. but with the Obvious problem.

We are Planning many more Photoshoots, Thus the Question on General Advise, what to try and do.

The Room itself is darkish, no sunlight at all. So thats probably the First no no...

But I'd like to get some help, as you mentioned something with the White Sheets, and so on...

I know it shounds low budget, but I'm seriously on a low on.. he he ..

And Wanted to know what I should try and do. I did read somewhere, that using a Flash is a no no... I thats why I guesed that I should try and up the Lighting. But not sure How and So on.

I read Somewhere to Shine light through an unbrella, but is this a Spesial unbrella, or Sheets ?

any One who can Give me some kind of Direction to follow, would be Great.

What else is there that you would need to know, to assist me ?
Old 09-10-07
Super Moderator

Liked at 4 Times in 2 Posts
coupekid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
HI Stephen.

This was indoors, with quite low light. Mainly (The First time) I only used the Light in the Room.. Witch was quite dim.

And the Flash. Not sure witch Shater Speeds though. Will have to check the Photos details.

The Second time, I used 2 bed lamps type of Thingies in the Same room.

So the Conditions is not the Ideal, and me being a noob at this, actualy have no Idea where to Start of.

So taking the Results of my Photos, Seeing the Eye is out of Focus, Whilst Spesificaly I made sure everyshot, the Focus is set on the Eyes.

Made me Post this.

The Photos looks ok.. but with the Obvious problem.

We are Planning many more Photoshoots, Thus the Question on General Advise, what to try and do.

The Room itself is darkish, no sunlight at all. So thats probably the First no no...

But I'd like to get some help, as you mentioned something with the White Sheets, and so on...

I know it shounds low budget, but I'm seriously on a low on.. he he ..

And Wanted to know what I should try and do. I did read somewhere, that using a Flash is a no no... I thats why I guesed that I should try and up the Lighting. But not sure How and So on.

I read Somewhere to Shine light through an unbrella, but is this a Spesial unbrella, or Sheets ?

any One who can Give me some kind of Direction to follow, would be Great.

What else is there that you would need to know, to assist me ?
Firstly, why shoot indoors at all, there may be reasons, but when I shoot portraits, I always try and do them outside using natural light, for me its so much nicer to have a natural background.

A few questions then, are you using a tripod, if so, make sure you have any image stabilisation turned off, always use a remote release (if you dont have a remote release, use the timer function on the camera to avoid camera jitter).

Other than that, its just a question of getting as much light in as possible.

Keep the apperture open as wide as possible, dont us the camera flash, as the result you get is wont be too pleasant.
Old 09-10-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupekid View Post
Firstly, why shoot indoors at all, there may be reasons, but when I shoot portraits, I always try and do them outside using natural light, for me its so much nicer to have a natural background.

A few questions then, are you using a tripod, if so, make sure you have any image stabilisation turned off, always use a remote release (if you dont have a remote release, use the timer function on the camera to avoid camera jitter).

Other than that, its just a question of getting as much light in as possible.

Keep the apperture open as wide as possible, dont us the camera flash, as the result you get is wont be too pleasant.
We Shot inside, Because its cold and Rainy outside, and most of the Shot was semi nude. So the Question of Shooting Outside is a no no.

My Lens Has Optical Stabilizer, and it was on. but 90% of the shots was done without the Tripod ?

I done a shot with Candle Light, with the Tripod, and that looks Suppurb. (IMHO) but its also nude, so can't post for Critique.

Shooting the Shots we did, might be very tricky with a Tripod, or maybe i'm just Stupid... Cause for some of the Shots she were on the floor, Crawling towards me and so on..

My first thing in line to buy, is a Remote Relese of some sort.

So I will try and Get some Bright Spotlights. Witch should be pretty cheap.
Is there a Basic setup Sketch of lights... and Cloth type of Situation.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-10-07
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

try here - http://www.diyphotography.net/
Old 09-10-07

paul.r.w is on a distinguished road

Quick Ian get the Model section open someone wants to post nude pics of their girlfriend!

Yes, you know I'd lower the tone!
Old 10-10-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilgas View Post
This is most Helpfull, And gave me new hope.

There are Loads and Loads of Great info here.

Thanks a Lot.
Old 10-10-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is most Helpfull, And gave me new hope.

There are Loads and Loads of Great info here.

Thanks a Lot.

If you are in very low light conditions using your tripod is a must. The image stabilizer can only do so much hand held it can't and wont answer all slow shutter speed problems. Coupekid pointed out you should turn OFF the image stabilizer when using a tripod this is most important they don't work when used with a tripod only when hand held. He also suggested a wide open aperture this will certainly help shorten the shutter speed but brings its own problems with depth of field.
Another important question, which focal length of the lens were you using, Zoomed out to 300 you wouldn't have any chance, the longer focal length you use the higher the shutter speed required unless you are using a tripod.
A shorter focal length can help but again to short and perspective changes can create further problems. About 70-100 should be about right for this type of work but that will require shutter speeds of about 1/100 to be camera shake free hand held, perhaps 1/30 or 1/60 with the stabilizer switched on.
A flash gun would certainly be a great help, amazing results can be had in a normal living room painted white, point the flash where the ceiling meets the wall and the light fall across the model at a very pleasing angle. Alternatively a white reflector pinned to the wall, a sheet works well (even newspaper) anything that reflects light without any colour cast to upset the white balance, and bounce the flash of the white surface.
So get saving up for that flash gun.
You must have something that you shot that could be posted for us to judge better how we can help, even if you have to crop it for modesties sake.

Patrick
Old 10-10-07
Forum veteran

I Will Certainly upload one or two photos.

And then you can Have a Look.

I will upload "unedited" files, so you can see what i'm talking bout.

Thanks For all this help.
Old 10-10-07
Forum veteran

Please help me. I want to post some Photos, with the exif info, So you guys can see what I did.

Where do I get this exif ? I downloaded a Program opanda, where I can see the info, And Export this File.

So how do I Paste this info so that you can check this, and see where I made the Mistakes ?
Old 10-10-07
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Please help me. I want to post some Photos, with the exif info, So you guys can see what I did.

Where do I get this exif ? I downloaded a Program opanda, where I can see the info, And Export this File.

So how do I Paste this info so that you can check this, and see where I made the Mistakes ?
Lou, at this stage I'm a little uneasy about you posting these shots on the forum. May I suggest you post them to your gallery in a new album then post the page url. No one will get any surprises then The gallery software will take care of the exif data

Check out my BLOG too

Old 10-10-07
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lou, at this stage I'm a little uneasy about you posting these shots on the forum. May I suggest you post them to your gallery in a new album then post the page url. No one will get any surprises then The gallery software will take care of the exif data
Hi Stephen

I did suggest to Lou he make necessary crops to ensure no offense can be caused.

Patrick
Old 10-10-07
Seriously addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Hi Stephen

I did suggest to Lou he make necessary crops to ensure no offense can be caused.

Patrick
Yes I saw that Patrick, but he said he'd post unedited versions

Check out my BLOG too

Old 10-10-07
Forum veteran

Quote:
No Problem.

Will do.

There is no Nakedness in any of the Photos I'm planing on Posting, So you can be At ease.

Thanks