Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Did you hear about...

Did you hear about... Talk about (almost) anything, within reason and it can - even should - be about something not directly related to photography.

Old 20-11-13
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road
Re: Just popping in to say goodbye

Something for you to consider Peter. I am by nature a private person but to motivate your thoughts :::

Two and a half years ago I was diagnosed with 2 forms of cancer for which I was subjected to extensive chemo and radio therapy. After 3 months of this I didn't know which way was up and couldn't even hold my camera never mind change a lens. In a fit of frustration and self pity I flogged the lot.

Worst mistake of my life. Another 12 months and I was very much improved and had a returning urge to take photographs. No way could I afford to replace my dslr and all its lenses so I bought a bridge camera (Canon SX50). As good as it is it can never replace the lost kit re quality etc.
Old 20-11-13
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

Hi Pops

Bit more to this story and I think its only fair to tell it. I think Ian may have picked some of it up on face book over the last few months also he knows the Island I live on so will see were I am coming from I like to shoot people and with that people in the landscape and boudoir style shoots. Now over the last year I have taken a lot of stick for this and even had comments made to me in the street which is not nice. Nothing has ever happen and all the people I have shot with would back me up 100%. I can put up with it but when my wife has to put up with small minded people saying things to her well enough is enough. She is my world and means everything to me so I will not put up with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter For This Useful Post:
Bob Ross (25-11-13), Pol (21-11-13)
Old 21-11-13
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Enough said Peter. I see your point. I'm sure we would all feel the same under those sad and frustrating circumstances.
peter (21-11-13)
The Following User likes this post by Pops:
peter (21-11-13)
Old 21-11-13
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

I'm very sorry to hear that, Peter. I can fully empathise as I've also been subjected to all sorts of nastiness both online and in real life, which I was able to deal with for quite some time.

The final straw was when my sons were being targeted because the nasty folk couldn't get at me, which resulted in me having to remove one or two family images from my gallery some time ago. All of that is the reason I use a nickname online at all times, no FB, no Twitter - just the anonymous 'Pol'.

All the best with everything. They'll soon find someone else to target.

Pol
The Following User Says Thank You to Pol For This Useful Post:
peter (21-11-13)
The Following User likes this post by Pol:
peter (21-11-13)
Old 25-11-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 10 Times in 8 Posts
Bob Ross is on a distinguished road

At first, Peter, I thought you were at a crossroad in life like HCB when he went back to painting or like me who has drifted in and out of various creative activities over the years. Then you revealed the other factors and my aging mind jumped to how my granddaughter is "catching it" because her cloths smell like cigarette smoke from home.
Best wishest to you, Peter.
Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Ross For This Useful Post:
peter (25-11-13)
The Following User likes this post by Bob Ross:
peter (25-11-13)
Old 30-11-13
Super Moderator

Liked at 57 Times in 44 Posts
John Perriment is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
Hi Pops

Bit more to this story and I think its only fair to tell it. I think Ian may have picked some of it up on face book over the last few months also he knows the Island I live on so will see were I am coming from I like to shoot people and with that people in the landscape and boudoir style shoots. Now over the last year I have taken a lot of stick for this and even had comments made to me in the street which is not nice. Nothing has ever happen and all the people I have shot with would back me up 100%. I can put up with it but when my wife has to put up with small minded people saying things to her well enough is enough. She is my world and means everything to me so I will not put up with it.
Sorry to hear this Peter, I knew a photographer who gave up his hobby in similar circumstances several years ago. I'd do the same if my family were being targeted, but this narrow minded bigotry makes my blood boil. I'd love to have "a word" with some of those people.

A photograph is more than a record of what you see - it's a window to your soul
The Following User likes this post by John Perriment:
Graham_of_Rainham (01-12-13)
Old 01-12-13
F1 nutter

Liked at 59 Times in 48 Posts
peter is on a distinguished road

Thanks again to everyone who has made a comment, it means a lot that you have taken the time to read and also reply to this. Having a word with these people means nothing to them as only this week one of those very people who would have a dig said to the wife oh that's a shame Peter has given up we liked looking at his photos ?? What can you say. I guess one other shame is now they cannot have digs at the wife they will move on to someone new for which I feel sad for there new targets Also sorry to say that is life I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter For This Useful Post:
John Perriment (01-12-13)
Old 01-12-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

I would join with John in condemning these small minded bigots that are worse than the cowardly school bully.

It is absolutely abhorrent to me that anyone can cause distress to others in such a way. The old adage of "tell the truth and shame the devil" would be justifiable to "out" these people for what they are. Unfortunately such actions will invariably result in consequential activity by the then aggrieved "a-holes", which is often best avoided for a "quiet life". Which is entirely what they rely on, in being what they are...

So easy for us on the outside to see this as B&W, but faced with all the realities is appreciated as being a very complex situation.

I have some empathy with you, in that I too have received some really nasty comments, related to some of my work with people. I sincerely hope you are soon able to move on to better times.
peter (01-12-13)
The Following 2 Users say to Graham_of_Rainham they like this post:
John Perriment (01-12-13), peter (01-12-13)