Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 18-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road
27 inch iMac

Well I have been saving for some time now and finally ordered a 27 inch iMac.

It's a 3.4 GHz i7 quad core CPU, 1 TB graphics card and has a SSD.

I had intended to wait for the new generation iMac's, which is rumored to have a higher resolution screen, USB 3 along with FireWire and Thunderbolt, but there was an example of the current version on Apples refurbished site saving me £330 still with full years warranty and the option to buy Apple care. I have bought their refurbished products before and have been more than happy, in fact I am writing this on my refurbished 2nd generation iPad.

I am expecting it to be seriously quick with its i7 quad core CPU and SSD, it should arrive tomorrow the 19th, let you know how well it works.

This all means I have a 21.5 3.1 GHz core 2 duo (with ugraded RAM 8 gig) iMac
for sale. Sensible offers considered typical eBay price £650.

Patrick
Old 19-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 101 Times in 64 Posts
Horacio is on a distinguished road
Re: 27 inch iMac

Hi. I have an Imac 27 with 2,7Ghz intel core i5, 8GB 1333 DDR3 with AMD Radeon HD 6770 512MB, OS X Lion.
To many numbers and letters. It is really marvellous and very fast. The display will stun you. Enjoy it. Regards, Horacio
Old 19-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
Hi. I have an Imac 27 with 2,7Ghz intel core i5, 8GB 1333 DDR3 with AMD Radeon HD 6770 512MB, OS X Lion.
To many numbers and letters. It is really marvellous and very fast. The display will stun you. Enjoy it. Regards, Horacio
Well its arrived, not restored anything yet from the 21.5 iMac but this screen is totally amazing, thought the old one was good but this is another world.

As i said in the original post its is supposed to be a refurbished machine, it looks straight from the factory to me, other than the plain box instead of the printed one. They appear to have sent me one with a 2TB graphics card, I ordered one with 1TB, shan't be complaining about that

Patrick
Old 20-06-12

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road

A 2tb graphics card? That is serious!! :-) Should be a good machine.
I have an i7 I got about 3 years ago and still is a mean machine.
Not a fan of Apple though.
Old 20-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull1875 View Post
A 2tb graphics card? That is serious!! :-) Should be a good machine.
I have an i7 I got about 3 years ago and still is a mean machine.
Not a fan of Apple though.
Do you know it should be Gig not TB I should be more careful when typing I don't recall ever seeing a TB graphics card. None the less its 1Gig more than advertised so good for me?

I am a big Apple fan with my iMac, MacBook, iPad, iPhone, time capsule and Apple TV, I must have apple juice for blood

Patrick
Old 20-06-12

Liked at 277 Times in 177 Posts
Rodbender is on a distinguished road

They say an Apple a day keeps the doctor away, and of cause a Mac is aways handy when it's raining.
Old 21-06-12

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road

I was being facetious Patrick. :-) I knew what you meant obviously. Don't think they have TB graphics yet (otherwise I would have one). Takes me back to when I was getting my first computer built. I told the guy on the phone I wanted 1mb of video ram and was told that this was ridiculous and nobody needed that amount 512k was more than enough. He never got my business. Enjoy it Sir. my son is and Apple person. Personally I am Android and PC
Old 21-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBull1875 View Post
I was being facetious Patrick. :-) I knew what you meant obviously. Don't think they have TB graphics yet (otherwise I would have one). Takes me back to when I was getting my first computer built. I told the guy on the phone I wanted 1mb of video ram and was told that this was ridiculous and nobody needed that amount 512k was more than enough. He never got my business. Enjoy it Sir. my son is and Apple person. Personally I am Android and PC
Tuesday I ordered 16gig of Ram modules 4x4 4gig. (apple have alway been on the short side with memory) before ordering I contacted Crucial because they have 2x8 gig. But it worked out at twice the price. I asked what the advantage was, answer so you can upgrade to 32 gig of Ram. I pointed out that Apple only claim 16 gig support on iMac's but he said they had fitted 32gig in a machine and it accepted the full Amount. Interesting for video editors I should think.

Patrick
Old 22-06-12
Happy Snapper

Liked at 185 Times in 122 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

Patrick - As I've just been told my 4-year old quad core computer can't have more memory installed (currently 3gb - I was told at the time of purchase it was upgradable to 6gb, but last week was told it would only accept another 512mb) I seriously considered this as I'd just quoted for 5 corporate festivals which would cover new computer plus 24-70 f2.8 lens for the 7D.

Son (web designer/computer geek) told me that I could replace the 3 x 1gb sticks with 3 x 2gb - provided that it was 64-bit. Shame it's not...

Unfortunately I didn't get the gigs, so it's back to saving...
Old 22-06-12
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Hi Caz, I don't know what make or model of your computer is or the motherboard specifications, but it does sound like the limitation is not hardware but the OS you are running. 32-bit Windows can only make use of a little over 3GB of RAM, even if more is installed. But if you upgrade to 64-bit Windows RAM beyond this is all used and will improve memory performance. Can you confirm which version of your OS you are running?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 22-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi Caz, I don't know what make or model of your computer is or the motherboard specifications, but it does sound like the limitation is not hardware but the OS you are running. 32-bit Windows can only make use of a little over 3GB of RAM, even if more is installed. But if you upgrade to 64-bit Windows RAM beyond this is all used and will improve memory performance. Can you confirm which version of your OS you are running?

Ian
Sounds about right to me that is assuming Caz's machine will support 64 bit, a 4 year old machine should, my Dell did and that was about 4 or 5 years.

So Caz's if that's the case you will have to invest in a 64 bit version of Windows OS. But check on the DVD with the OS on it that came with the machine, the one supplied with the Dell had both 32 & 64 bit versions so you may be able to install 64 bit without the expence of a new copy.

I doubt you are running a Mac as 4 years ago it would have been the Leopard OS which was 64 bit.

Patrick
Old 23-06-12
Happy Snapper

Liked at 185 Times in 122 Posts
Caz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
Thanks for this Ian - I have written to computer geek son, but he's ignoring me at the moment... (too much football on? )

My computer system info:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
System Manufacturer Packard Bell BV
System Model iXtreme X2712
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD PBSFC2MB.P10, 01/10/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 773 MB
Total Virtual Memory 6.21 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.90 GB

From what I've been told, x86 based pcs can be upgraded to 64bit, but then drivers aren't available for 64bit Vista, and have also read somewhere that it has trouble dealing with external and networking devices.

Ah well, it was a good computer when I bought it and it's been a joy to use (apart from when I had a system crash and lost Linux).

I've just shot another wedding, so I know where the profit from that will be going when I've finished. Prom and portrait shoot next week too...
Old 23-06-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post
Thanks for this Ian - I have written to computer geek son, but he's ignoring me at the moment... (too much football on? )

My computer system info:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
System Manufacturer Packard Bell BV
System Model iXtreme X2712
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD PBSFC2MB.P10, 01/10/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 3.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 773 MB
Total Virtual Memory 6.21 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.90 GB

From what I've been told, x86 based pcs can be upgraded to 64bit, but then drivers aren't available for 64bit Vista, and have also read somewhere that it has trouble dealing with external and networking devices.

Ah well, it was a good computer when I bought it and it's been a joy to use (apart from when I had a system crash and lost Linux).

I've just shot another wedding, so I know where the profit from that will be going when I've finished. Prom and portrait shoot next week too...
Hi Caz

I cant see drivers being a problem, but Ian would know better than me. Now you now know the machine will support 64bit go for Windows 7 64bit and install that. You have a decent looking machine there which at the time you bought it must have been very high spec.
Replacing the OS is much cheaper than buying a new machine, unless of course you are like me and are always looking for an excuse to change

Patrick