Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Help and advice for beginners

Help and advice for beginners If you don't classify yourself as being particularly expert or experienced and you have a question or problem that you need help with in the area of improving images, this is the board to get the assistance you seek.

Old 05-04-07

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: A nasty Nikon lens !

Yoshi. You don't have a can of WD-40?

http://www.wd40.co.uk/index.cfm?articleid=32
or
http://www.wd40.co.uk/media/images/a...2_000_USES.pdf

And you can get the pen at Lidls or your local hardware for about a pound. It just puts a drop where you need it.

PLEASE buy some, so you can get your adapter off and get rid of this terrible title. For you know that there's no such thing as "A nasty Nikon lens" !

Hope you get it sorted
Jim
Old 05-04-07
lumix

Re: A nasty Nikon lens !

Yoshi. Have you tried a filter wrench. I'm sure a lot of your problem is that you are not applying even pressure around the adaptor. If you are gripping it on opposite sides, you are probably distorting the shape of the adaptor making it harder to release. A filter wrench is designed to grip all the way around the circumference. They are cheap so well worth having one in your bag at all times.
Old 06-04-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
Re: A LOVELY Nikon lens !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
PLEASE buy some, so you can get your adapter off and get rid of this terrible title. For you know that there's no such thing as "A nasty Nikon lens" !
The links were very helpful in understanding more about the oil. I now have a better idea what kind of oil WD-40 is.

After reading your message, I thought I should have titled it "Nasty yoshi" - but who would read it then? Anyway thanks indeed.
Old 06-04-07
Forum veteran

Hi lumix, i appreciate it. I have no such a sophisticated tool but indeed i think i need it. I have some kinds of adapters and have never had this kind of problems until now. but maybe more in future? I think I can understand what filter wrench is. Will have a look if i can find a suitable one at nearby shop.
yoshi
Old 06-04-07
lumix

Have a look here for more help. http://www.earthboundlight.com/photo...k-on-lens.html
Old 06-04-07

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jim is on a distinguished road

I've just had a look at my filter wrench, it's only a plastic one and I don't think that it would be strong enough, it's too flexible. However, ROn has given me an idea:
Take the lens to your local garage, and see if they have an *oil* filter wrench. That would be an awful lot stronger and would move anything. I just don't know if they could make it small enough. You'll have to try.
Just make sure that there's no screws securing first, 'cos it would rip them right out of the lens, spoiling that Luverly piece of Nikon!
Jim
Old 11-04-07
Been here for a while....

Liked at 13 Times in 10 Posts
devilgas is on a distinguished road

there's also something called a gator grip which is basically a rubber strap attached to a plastic handle. works the same as an oil filter wrench but is a bit kinder!
also how about using one of those rubber cone thingies, used by those with a weaker grip, for getting lids off jars?
Old 11-04-07
Forum veteran

Liked at 94 Times in 78 Posts
Autumn is on a distinguished road

If a drinking glass gets stuck inside another drinking glass, it was said that if it were tapped where it were stuck, with yet a third drinking glass, it would be released.

I didn't like to post this, incase I hadn't got it right, but I have been "Googling" for you and found this:

- For metal lids on glass jars, tap the edge of the lid (all the way around) with the handle of a butter knife. Works like a charm!

Perhaps a light tap all the way round with the handle of a butter knife might work. Not too hard mind.

My husband says "easing oil" something very light. Even petrol or diesel brushed in and left to penetrate.

Just found this link. It says it 'Frees Stuck Parts.'

http://www.polywater.com/typep7.html

Good luck Yoshi.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/autumn36/
Old 12-04-07
Forum veteran

Oh, thank you everybody - Jim, Dave and Audrey.
Two days ago I got the oil - which seems to be a similar one. To my regret they do not have any filter wrench.
I have not yet restarted the job but found one of the screws of the adapter/lens has been loosened. I'm afraid I've already made brutal trials before seeking to do a sophisticated one? - I should have tapped it gently before doing that indeed!

I'm now wondering which is better and least expensive- to buy another lens or to buy another adapter. This Nikon micro lens is the sole macro lens for my Canon. Maybe I should choose the second and erase the Nikon logo and replace it with my hand writing " once Nikon now solely for Canon".
yoshi