Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Camera conference > DSLR and other system camera discussion > Lens view

Lens view The DPNow.com board for talking about lenses - big, small, long, and short.

Old 06-08-12
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
susan12 is on a distinguished road
Canon vs Sigma lenses (moved from the General board)

Hi all - I've got a quick noobie question about lenses.

I've been thinking about buying a Canon 70-300mm lens but having been speaking to a few people wh have suggested that a similar Sigma lens not only offers better value but actually has better quality too.

I'd be interested to get some feedback from you guys on here as to wheth that's true or not.

Cheers,

Susan.
Old 06-08-12
Admin

Liked at 208 Times in 167 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Canon vs Sigma lenses

Hi Susan and welcome to the DPNow forum!

Patrick on here has been a Sigma stalwart for a long time and until he swapped his Canon EOS-7D system for a Micro Four Thirds Panasonic set up he owned a good selection of Sigma lenses.

He may be able to give you some personal experiences with particular Sigma lenses. My experience is that Sigma's cheaper lenses are not nearly as impressive as their more expensive higher quality ones.

The Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS is an excellent performer for the price. I have a read a few reviews of the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 DG OS and it's a good performer but I have a suspicion that in this case the Canon is the better lens. On a personal note, I'm not that keen on the matte finish that Sigma feature on some of their lenses and the 70-300 is one of these.

It's great to have a member from Hanoi - the closest I have got to Vietnam is standing on the Thai bank of the Mekong river at Mukdahan on the Laos border. I hear Vietnam is a wonderful place to visit!

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 06-08-12
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Canon vs Sigma lenses

There are so few good camera shops left, where they would let you try before you buy. Now we have to use Amazon and go through all the hassle of sending back the one you don't want.

At least you do get what works best for you...
Old 08-08-12
Forum newbie

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
susan12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Patrick on here has been a Sigma stalwart for a long time and until he swapped his Canon EOS-7D system for a Micro Four Thirds Panasonic set up he owned a good selection of Sigma lenses.

He may be able to give you some personal experiences with particular Sigma lenses. My experience is that Sigma's cheaper lenses are not nearly as impressive as their more expensive higher quality ones.

The Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS is an excellent performer for the price. I have a read a few reviews of the Sigma 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 DG OS and it's a good performer but I have a suspicion that in this case the Canon is the better lens. On a personal note, I'm not that keen on the matte finish that Sigma feature on some of their lenses and the 70-300 is one of these.

It's great to have a member from Hanoi - the closest I have got to Vietnam is standing on the Thai bank of the Mekong river at Mukdahan on the Laos border. I hear Vietnam is a wonderful place to visit!

Ian
Thank for your advice, Ian. I will contact Patrick to ask for advice And also, thank for your compliment. Welcome to my place Hanoi, we have many interesting things here wanna introduce you
Old 08-08-12
Admin

Liked at 208 Times in 167 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Hi Susan - Patrick hasn't been online for a few days but I'm sure he will have some good knowledge to share when he's here next.

If you have any photos to share with us from Hanoi we'd be delighted to see them

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 09-08-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan12 View Post
Hi all - I've got a quick noobie question about lenses.

I've been thinking about buying a Canon 70-300mm lens but having been speaking to a few people wh have suggested that a similar Sigma lens not only offers better value but actually has better quality too.

I'd be interested to get some feedback from you guys on here as to wheth that's true or not.

Cheers,

Susan.
Hi Susan

As Ian indicated I was a long time user of Sigma lenses on a my Canon system from the 10D through to a 7D.

Firstly if you are contemplating Canon L lenses their professional line up they are stronger built than Sigma EX range their pro lenses, but a third to double the price.
Optically at least with the lenses I owned the Sigma were excellent, and matched Canon in the real world. Lab tested Canon shaded it, but as I said in daily use you cannot see a difference.
Sigma's EX lenses are what I have had experienced with and recommend.

Sigma's none EX lenses are much cheaper and as far as I am aware are good but not exceptional, no more I believe are the none L Canon lenses, in fact their kit lenses are considered unremarkable.
Yes I can recommend Sigma EX lenses, unfortunately I know little about the Zoom range you are looking for on either brand, I personally have avoided too large a zoom range in one lens, it's always a compromise. That said I have now a Panasonic 14-140 4/3 zoom the equivalent on full frame of 28-280 and its a wonderfully piece of glass, so perhaps I have been wrong all these years.

Patrick
Old 09-08-12
Forum veteran

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Patrick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post

Ian
Sigma are now moving away from the matt finish, and now use a sort of satin finish claimed to be harder wearing. If or not this new finish has worked it way through to all lenses I don't know.

Patrick