Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Image insight > Help and advice for beginners

Help and advice for beginners If you don't classify yourself as being particularly expert or experienced and you have a question or problem that you need help with in the area of improving images, this is the board to get the assistance you seek.

Old 30-07-12
Just chillin

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kev is on a distinguished road
Question Kevs learning curve!

Ok hear goes!

I'm a complete beginner and would like to take photography up as a hobby.

I took some of these at work today and then some when i got home.

Please feel free to point out any problems and also any tips are more than welcome.

The camera used was just a point and click Samsung Es9.

I will post pictures in this thread as i progress and you can watch me turn into a professional photographer.

Ps: if the threads in the wrong place could someone move it for me,Thanks.

Kev
Old 30-07-12
Just chillin

Re: Kevs learning curve!

Old 30-07-12
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road

Hi Kev - not a bad start

Have you come across something called the rule of thirds? It's not a 100% rule, but you can try positioning the subject in the frame off-centre, maybe by a third, which is why it's called the rule of thirds. It's naturally more comfortable on the eye compared to positioning the subject in the middle of the frame.

Try it and you should see what I mean. You may also notice in movies and on TV that the cameraman will often use the rule of thirds for framing too

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 30-07-12
Just chillin

Hello Ian,Thanks

Well as it goes i didn't untill about 3 days ago when someone told me the same thing.

I will give it ago,Ill be looking closely at the TV tonight to see if i notice the 'rule of thirds'.

When i do i will say to my wife, in my best knowledgeable voice!...."See how the camera man has filmed that just off centre to the bottom slightly?...Well that's the rule of 3rds".... i will say,With an intellectual grin
Old 31-07-12
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Like Ian say's that'n not a bad start at all and the 2nd is quite impressive.
You might find THISwill help clarify the rule of thirds for you.
I might also add don't be afraid to experiment with different viewpoints of your subject .. i.e. getting your knees dirty for low level shots etc.
Old 31-07-12
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Kevs learning curve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post

When i do i will say to my wife, in my best knowledgeable voice!...."See how the camera man has filmed that just off centre to the bottom slightly?...Well that's the rule of 3rds".... i will say,With an intellectual grin

There isn't any other sort of grin, is there?

As for your pics - yes you've certainly got the hang of focusing on your main subject. One thing I don't think I mentioned before is that you can lock the focus on the subject (even with the pointy shooty camera). Point at your subject then hold the shutter button just half way down until it the focus locks onto the subject - don't click the shutter, just hold it half way and locked onto the subject.

That enables you to move the camera slightly to change the composition of the picci whilst yo're still holding the focus locked onto the main subject,

Practise doing that so that you move the subject to the right or left of the frame. It's also a way of practising finger control on the shutter (not firing the button until you have he composition you want.

Suss that then you can give another intellectual grin and explain 'focus lock' to your lovely wife too.

Excellent advice there from Ian and Pops too. Look at lots of flower pics in the galleries and online generally. Notice how people have shot their pics from various angles and in various lighting conditions (shadows, contrasts on and around the floers and petals). Everyone aiming to make their picci a bit different, special and memorable in some way.

I find your Allium picci the most interesting because it has a couple of insects on the flower. Is that Allium - or is Chives? Anyway - it's just slightly different and has more interest than the others.

So -get on yer knees, crawling about looking at all those flowers from different angles.

Pol
Old 31-07-12
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road

And here's the link to the DPN Flora and Fauna gallery, which has 400-500 photos of flowers and plants.

http://dpnow.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/574

Pol
Old 31-07-12
Super Moderator

Liked at 57 Times in 44 Posts
John Perriment is on a distinguished road

Good start, Kev, and I see you've already been given some excellent advice.

A photograph is more than a record of what you see - it's a window to your soul
Old 05-08-12
Just chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pol View Post
There isn't any other sort of grin, is there?

As for your pics - yes you've certainly got the hang of focusing on your main subject. One thing I don't think I mentioned before is that you can lock the focus on the subject (even with the pointy shooty camera). Point at your subject then hold the shutter button just half way down until it the focus locks onto the subject - don't click the shutter, just hold it half way and locked onto the subject.

That enables you to move the camera slightly to change the composition of the picci whilst yo're still holding the focus locked onto the main subject,

Practise doing that so that you move the subject to the right or left of the frame. It's also a way of practising finger control on the shutter (not firing the button until you have he composition you want.

Suss that then you can give another intellectual grin and explain 'focus lock' to your lovely wife too.

Excellent advice there from Ian and Pops too. Look at lots of flower pics in the galleries and online generally. Notice how people have shot their pics from various angles and in various lighting conditions (shadows, contrasts on and around the floers and petals). Everyone aiming to make their picci a bit different, special and memorable in some way.

I find your Allium picci the most interesting because it has a couple of insects on the flower. Is that Allium - or is Chives? Anyway - it's just slightly different and has more interest than the others.

So -get on yer knees, crawling about looking at all those flowers from different angles.

Pol
Thanks for another tip pol.

And the flower in question is an ornamental thistle.

I'm alway on my Knees,Pol..........I'm a gardener so i should get some good pics!

Oh and ther is one other type of grin........The one that Mrs Kev uses when shes in 'The mood'

Kev.
Old 05-08-12
Just chillin

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perriment View Post
Good start, Kev, and I see you've already been given some excellent advice.

Thanks John.

Kev