Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Welcome > General discussion

General discussion If you aren't sure which forum your post would be best housed in, post it here. Some posts and threads may eventually be moved to other forums.

Old 14-03-07
Forum regular

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
bill jarvis is on a distinguished road
Image size

What's the recommended image size for posting on the forum?
I know it was generally agreed 800X600 was about right a few years ago but with most people now having larger monitors has it changed?

bill
Old 14-03-07
Ancient Geek

Liked at 101 Times in 88 Posts
Pol is on a distinguished road
Re: Image size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill jarvis View Post
I know it was generally agreed 800X600 was about right a few years ago but with most people now having larger monitors has it changed?

bill
You can go larger than 800 x 600 now.

If you upload your pic to your personal gallery then link it from the gallery to the forum - you can go right up to 1600 pixels width for a pano and around 450k.

It's much more generous now. No doubt Ian or Stephen will elaborate further if necessary.

BTW ..... it's good to see you again, Mr Jarvis.

Pol
Old 14-03-07
Seriously addicted

Liked at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stephen is on a distinguished road
Re: Image size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill jarvis View Post

bill
Its a dilemma isn't it bill
Whilst we often want to show our pics off to the best and therefore feel the bigger the better, there is the potential problem that some folks will have to scroll to see all the image. At the same time their are size constraints and over compression to keep within these can lead to loss of image quality. TBH the attachment limit is I feel very generous at 250kb and I find it easy to get an 800-1000pix wide image saved at a highish compression level within this size.

In the galleries however the limits are higher, and any upload over a minimum size produces 2 different sizes of image. Though again, my feeling is that forum etiquette dictates we don't make em too big.

I'm not sure what your opinion is bill, but I'm of the feeling that the majority of peeps use 1024x768 with a 17" monitor and this is still the most common size

Check out my BLOG too