Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 08-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road
USB3.0 becomes even faster!

USB 3.0 data through-put rate will be further improved from current 5Gbps to 10Gbps in near future. The technical standard will be determined in the middle of this year.

A simple calculation (by me) shows that it's theoretically around 20 times faster than the still-prevailing USB2.0. On the PC side, together with the third generation CPU's and SSD etc, they are gradually ready to process much larger file sizes. Will camara/sensor manufacturers take the full advantage of the technology progress and seek for another more-pixel race? I think they referred to 100 Mega pixel sensor two years ago in an interview.

I really wonder if our NEEDS for such sensors will follow... or is it the case that the technologies force us to follow?

(excerpts from the press release)

Key characteristics of the higher-rate SuperSpeed USB solution include:

• New 10 Gbps USB data rate
• Compatibility with existing cables and connectors
• Improved data encoding for more efficient data transfer leading to higher through-
put and improved I/O power efficiency
• Compatible with existing USB 3.0 software stacks and device cla protocols
• Compatible with both existing 5 Gbps and new 10 Gbps USB 3.0 hubs and devices,
as well as USB 2.0 products

More info is available at http://www.usb.org/press (see USB-IF press release)

I added a current USB3.0 I/F to one of my desktops a few weeks ago. Now obsolete soon?

yoshi
The Following User Says Thank You to yoshi For This Useful Post:
Ian (08-02-13)
Old 08-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: USB3.0 becomes even faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
<snip>I added a current USB3.0 I/F to one of my desktops a few weeks ago. Now obsolete soon?

yoshi
I have just done the same thing...

I was so impressed with the speed of 3.0 with my external drive.

I hope the new Olympus camera later this year has, at least, a USB 3 capability.

It would make teathered shooting, with a wireless adaptor perhaps, a very effective capability.
Old 08-02-13
Admin

Liked at 195 Times in 158 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: USB3.0 becomes even faster!

I have an add-on USB 3.0 interface card installed in my desktop PC but after updating the motherboard BIOS it has stopped working

Surely the enhanced USB 3.0 will be backwards compatible?

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 08-02-13
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I have just done the same thing... :
It's always nice to have a friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I was so impressed with the speed of 3.0 with my external drive.

I hope the new Olympus camera later this year has, at least, a USB 3 capability.

It would make teathered shooting, with a wireless adaptor perhaps, a very effective capability.
I also expect that new printers will have (at least existing type of) USB3.0 and after reading about Canon's new printers at DPNow, I wanted to know if they have USB3.0. I just could not find any information about it but found this information about new type of USB3.0 instead.

I wonder if printer manufacturers think that wireless LAN is more beneficial to printing and that's the main reason for neglecting USB3.0 for a long time. The existing type of USB3.0 was introduced in 2008. I determined that time that my next printer should have USB3.0. So am continuously using my beloved more than 10 year-old printer.

yoshi

yoshi
Old 08-02-13
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I have an add-on USB 3.0 interface card installed in my desktop PC but after updating the motherboard BIOS it has stopped working

Surely the enhanced USB 3.0 will be backwards compatible?

Ian
Yes, the press release says the new type is backward compatible. Actually other news suggest that it is a counter proposal against Thunderbolt, another idea of faster data processing and more complicated in a sense. The new USB3.0 is just simple.

yoshi
Old 08-02-13

Liked at 6 Times in 5 Posts
TheBull1875 is on a distinguished road

When I plug certain things into either my desktop or laptop, I get that message saying I should plug it into a USB 3 port. However, when I look in my Device manager it lists them as USB 3 ports. Strange.
Old 08-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road

How much more expensive is USB3 over USB2? I only ask because I'm seeing modern computers/laptops which come with 'x' number of USB ports, only one of which is USB3. If USB3 is backwards-compatible, why wouldn't they *all* be USB3 ports?

I did buy a USB3 memory stick just recently, so that I had something USB3 to try out. It's a bit false anyway, because USB sticks are notoriously slow and could probably be faster even at USB2 speeds (for instance, why do external hard drives transfer data at 35MB/s over USB2 while a standard memory stick crawls at 5MB/s?).

Reading up on them, some memory sticks listed as "USB3" aren't really doing much better than your external hard drive at 25-35MB/s anyway (which is surely what they should be doing over USB2?). Only certain specific USB3 memory sticks go any faster. Not all USB3 devices are equal, it seems. Even those faster USB3 memory sticks aren't going anywhere near 5Gb/s.

All of these claims of 5Gb/s+.... what devices are likely to take advantage of such speeds? Printers can only print so fast. Hard drives can only spin so fast. What is likely to use the new 10Gb/s to its maximum advantage?
Old 10-02-13
Forum veteran

out of the three means that connect between PC body and external devices such as HDD, existing USB3.0 is slightly faster than e-SATA and much faster than IEE1394. The last one is seemingly fading out these days.
The speed of the connecting cables/methods looks like the bottle neck for us to enjoy much faster processing speed.

The USB3.0 connector: the male side is same as the USB2.0 or USB1.1 but the female side looks a bit thicker than the predecessors. Conpatibility does not necessary mean that all the connector designs are same. So USB3.0 connector occupies more space (thickness) than older types.

It looks to me that this is a small obstacle for having more USB3.0 in ultrabook or tablettes. USB3.0 ports are however increasing. I went to a shop yesterday and found that many notebooks now have something like 1xUSB2.0 and 3xUSB3.0. So it's slow but surely changing. I have no idea about the cost diiference which I just guess marginal and it won't be the reason of late adoption.

yoshi
Old 10-02-13
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
I went to a shop yesterday and found that many notebooks now have something like 1xUSB2.0 and 3xUSB3.0. So it's slow but surely changing. I have no idea about the cost diiference which I just guess marginal and it won't be the reason of late adoption.
That's something that's changing, then, because many laptops I looked at just two months ago had just 1xUSB3.0 port and 2xUSB2.0 ports. I Googled to see if I could find out why, and the best I've come up with so far is that some processor/chipsets from Intel didn't have USB3.0 support built-in as standard (Sandy Bridge, for instance) and, to have USB3.0 required an extra USB3.0 card. The more separate USB3.0 ports, the more cards, so in devices where space is a premium (like laptops), only one card is used - the other USB2.0 ports are supported directly.

Another reason I found was that Windows 7 apparently didn't have native drivers for USB3.0, so if you ended up with a crash that necessitated a completely fresh reinstall of Windows 7, it wouldn't recognise any keyboard/mouse plugged into a USB3.0 port.

So the reason for hanging on to USB2.0 seems to be for reasons of legacy support - something that will doubtless change over the next several months, particularly with newer processors and with new PCs/laptops now coming with Windows 8.
Old 10-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 57 Times in 46 Posts
Graham_of_Rainham is on a distinguished road

My new Belkin USB 3 card has its own internal power supply in addition to taking power from the mother board, so presumably it provides for more power hungry devices to be used as well as the higher speeds.

Funny how I still find myself setting everything going, then leaving it to make a cuppa. Most times it's now finished by the time I get back.
Old 11-02-13
Forum veteran

I hope to get a USB3 hard drive soon but all of my others are USB2, so I don't know if I'll notice much difference.

I suppose I'll need to get a USB3 hub to support multiple USB3 devices from my laptop's single USB3 port. My current docking port is USB2 only.

Does running multiple devices off one port slow things down at all, or would I still achieve maximum speeds?