Digital Photography Now - www.dpnow.com  

advertisements

Go Back   DPNow.com Discussion Forum > Forget about photography > Computer conundrums

Computer conundrums Digital photographers rely on the smooth running of their personal computers. Here's where to discuss problems and seek, as well as provide, advice.

Old 06-02-13
Admin

Liked at 248 Times in 196 Posts
Ian is on a distinguished road
Re: Windows 8 - anyone here tried it, or thinking about it?

Surprised about Chrome - I don't like it at all, but for example - my daughter loves it because it looks cool

IE is annoying because it nags you all the time in that message bar at the bottom of the screen and I miss the search box. But I think fundamentally it's a very good browser.

My personal choice is FireFox - it's just an all-round fine browser with some good expansion options. However, I sometimes have to use IE when things don't work properly in FF.

Ian
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 06-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 3 Times in 3 Posts
JSR is on a distinguished road

I don't like Chrome because I have a tough time trusting Google.

I did use Firefox for a while, and I have it as a backup browser, but I moved over to Seamonkey quite some time ago. Seamonkey has integrated browser/email (a bit like the original Netscape suite), and so uses the same code for both. It made it a little less resource-hungry on my old netbook, and now I use it as a matter of course. It offers many of the same add-ons and functionality as Firefox.

One that I've been intrigued by is QtWeb - a portable browser that's just a single 7MB file. It's not entirely without its issues, but it shows what can be done with such a small file.
Old 06-02-13
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
In March 2003, Internet Explorer dominated the world browser use stats with 88% usage. Today their market share is only 14.7%. Here are the current rankings:

14.7% IE
31.1% Firefox
46.9% Chrome
4.2% Safari
2.1% Opera

Netscape, the one that started it all in 1994 was discontinued in Dec. 2007
There could be a bigger drop than that, soon. All those XP users (39% market share) can no longer upgrade Internet Explorer. They're denied IE9 and IE10 and, as of next year, will be denied any security updates to IE8. We're already seeing reports such as Google's apps not supporting IE8 (leaving XP users out in the cold).

Anyone who doesn't want to upgrade from XP just yet will be best advised to abandon IE for something more secure and up-to-date. That could cause IE's usage to drop even lower.
Old 06-02-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmoore View Post
In March 2003, Internet Explorer dominated the world browser use stats with 88% usage. Today their market share is only 14.7%. Here are the current rankings:

14.7% IE
31.1% Firefox
46.9% Chrome
4.2% Safari
2.1% Opera

Netscape, the one that started it all in 1994 was discontinued in Dec. 2007
I never expected that Chrome has such a big market share, decisively No. 1. It's even larger than the combined share of IE and Firefox.

I heard somewhere that Chrome is a bit slow in correcting vulnerabilities of the brower compared to other mainstream browers, tho.

I miss Netscape. Micorsoft ousted so many good applications such as Lotus 123 ...I wonder anti-virus softwares such as Symantec might be the next.
yoshi
Old 06-02-13
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
I never expected that Chrome has such a big market share, decisively No. 1. It's even larger than the combined share of IE and Firefox.
I don't think it's really a surprise. Lots of people using Google Docs are pushed into Chrome because it's allegedly "designed to deliver the best experience for Google Docs". Then there's Chrome OS, and the Chromebook - all centred around Google Chrome. Not to mention Google's Android which comes bundled with Chrome mobile browser.

Neither FireFox nor Internet Explorer has that kind of platform with which to push people towards their browser. Whenever you set up a Windows computer, you're given that annoying "Browser Choice" question. Does the same apply on the Chromebook, or when using Chrome OS?

If Google only had the browser, I'm sure it would be a minority browser. It's just that they have so many other outlets with which to coerce people into following the Google mindset. All that surprises me is how many people seem content to let Google have more and more of their data.
Old 28-03-13
Forum veteran

I thought I might update this thread a little bit.

I mentioned before that my first experience of Windows 8 was with a friend's new Toshiba 15.6" non-touchscreen laptop, and that the experience was not a pleasant one.

By hiding the tile mode, we were able to get a usable system that wasn't quite so bad.

Today, my friend is doing all of her social media, facebook, emails, browsing, TV catchup, even video calling ... on her Blackberry Playbook.

This is someone who absolutely detested touchscreens and still doesn't like them for the most part, but her initial experience with Windows 8 was so bad that when she saw her son's Playbook one day and got on with it quite well, she wanted to get one herself. Today she has one. She's had it for a month now and she's doing things that she could never manage to do on her laptop (the video calling, for example).

She still uses her laptop when she has to (internet banking, online shopping, and the occasional letter writing) but she rues the occasions when it's necessary. I think it's true to say that she regrets buying it given that she now does the majority of that which she needs to do on a tablet device that cost a quarter of the price.

I'm getting on okay with my Windows 8 laptop, although it spends more time on my desk with external monitor and keyboard/mouse due to work requirements. And I haven't looked at that awful "tile mode" for months.

I don't think we can call Windows 8 a success around here. It's chased my friend away from Windows, and I consider it a necessary evil.
Old 28-03-13
Forum veteran

Liked at 2 Times in 2 Posts
yoshi is on a distinguished road

I've got my laptop with Win8 6days ago and I have to confess I'm a bit frustrated atm. I have another Win8 on one of my desktops but I usually use a Win7 machine preferably so virtually only little experiences with it.

I used the laptop at a Cafe last night and spent most of the time in order to find out, for example, how I can shut down the laptop. Maybe I have to buy a Win8 book. NO manuals came with the laptop. I'm writing this with a
Win7 PC of course.

Maybe without multi-touch screen , it must be hard to find & feel the good points of Win 8.
yoshi
Old 28-03-13
Forum veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
Maybe without multi-touch screen , it must be hard to find & feel the good points of Win 8.
The life-saver for me has been using Classic Shell to default to a traditional desktop with start button, so that I can avoid the tile mode. I'm sure the tile mode comes into its own when using the touchscreen (which I don't do very often) but for all normal, sensible, logical computing tasks it's just in the way.
Old 27-11-14
Admin

I know this is an ancient thread but I thought I'd add my experiences;

My Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop (8GB memory, Core i7 CPU and nVidia GT525M graphics) was purchased a few months before Windows 8 released and was supplied with Windows 7 Home Premium, which I continue to run on all our other computers apart from my daughter's touch screen laptop purchased a couple of months ago for her start at university - that is running Windows 8.1 and she loves it.

I had a voucher for a free upgrade to Windows 8 but prevaricated and the voucher eventually expired but everything I had read about Windows 8 was basically positive despite a lot if negative feedback. Yes the UI was an odd combination of finger-friendliness and traditional desktop with some compromises thrown in and I could understand the frustrations of those who couldn't get on with it. But I don't really see what else Microsoft could have done and it's something I feel Apple will have to address with the Mac sooner or later as the expectation of a touch screen on even large devices like laptops and desktop PCs becomes routine.

Anyway, in combination with installing an SSD in my Dell (part of the prevarication was that this was major surgery and involved removal of the motherboard because on the Dell the hard drive is attached to the underside of the motherboard...) I installed the three month trial version of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition.

I have to say I had no problems at all living with the new UI and I quickly established some work-arounds to deal with the omission of the old Start button even though I had jumped straight to Windows 8.1 with its perfunctory added Start icon. More serious was a problem with long freezes after waking up and even at boot up which really concerned me. When this didn't happen the boot and wake up times are just so much faster than with Windows 7 it's amazing - which is partly down to the SSD, although I have an SSD on the desktop running Windows 7 and comparing the two puts the superiority of Win8 into perspective.

As the trial installation of Win8.1 Enterprise was coming to an end on the Dell I actually contemplated buying the original Windows 8.0 because at least this had been certified for the Dell, while Windows 8.1 had not. But with a hunch that the freezing problem was probably down to the trial version I had been using or some corruption in the system I could not identify, an Amazon special offer for 36 for Windows 8.1 Pro commanded a leap of faith

I did a clean install from a USB drive and so far after three days I have only had one transient freeze and that was not at boot or wake from sleep. Fingers crossed that problem is behind me!

Ian
Old 27-11-14
Forum veteran

I can't believe I've been using Windows 8 for almost two years now, but I can tell you one thing. The number of times I've used "tile mode" can be counted on one hand. I've used my touchscreen laptop as my main computer in all this time, but have barely used the touchscreen because I don't use "tile mode". I've been in desktop mode for the duration, having it boot straight into desktop mode when I switch on. For me, "tile mode" and the Microsoft Store have been completely unnecessary. I don't know how much extra bloat it requires, but I wish it was an "optional extra" that we could leave out if we wanted to.

In the last year, though, some odd things have been happening with Microsoft Windows. Their tablet-oriented Windows RT has pretty much been abandoned. If you want to buy Windows 8.1, it'll cost you 99.99 from Microsoft - but you can buy a tablet for under 50 that has Windows 8.1 on it. How bizarre is that? And the tablet might well come with Microsoft Office on it as well.

With "full-fat" Windows 8.1 on pocketable tablets, how soon before they throw Windows Phone OS out with Windows RT and put full Windows 8.1 on their phones? Then you'll be able to carry your whole computer in the palm of your hand. I would never have considered it a possibility, but these tablets make me think differently.
Old 28-11-14
Super Moderator

Liked at 62 Times in 52 Posts
Pops is on a distinguished road

Interesting you mention 'More serious was a problem with long freezes after waking up and even at boot up which really concerned me'
I had that problem for a while with a dell. The boffins on the end of the phone hadn't got a clue so after a long and frustrating couple of weeks I changed my desktop for a PB with 8.1 ready installed. I haven't had one single problem since then.
Like JSR I have it programmed to go straight to desktop mode when booting up or/and waking up.
On booting up the monitor password request page comes up in 8 seconds and then I have a further 12 seconds after inserting password before its up and running.
Old 28-11-14
Elderly snowboard racer

Liked at 258 Times in 165 Posts
patmoore is on a distinguished road

I guess it's been a year since I got my Win 8 desktop. I still wish I'd ignored the saleman's pitch and gone with a Win 7. We've acquired one more desktop and two laptops since then all with Win 8. It all cases we've installed Win 7 emulator software and have been happy. Once in a while, something will open in a Win 8 format and after brief cursing we'll change the association.

Today I ran into a new problem. We've been traveling for a couple of weeks and staying at different hotels with my Win 7 laptop and my wife's Win 8 notebook. She has had frequent problems connecting with WiFi getting a "limited connectivity" message despite a a strong signal with the result that she can't get online at all. Googling the problem reveals that it's a widespread issue. In a very limited number of reported cases people have been able to rectify it by updating to 8.1 but we can't do that if can't connect.

If I had the option to trade all four of my Win 8 machines for Win 7 I wouldn't hesitate.

I did an informal survey of about twenty members of our ski club who have Windows 8. Without exception, every single person has loaded a third party program to revert it to a Win 7 type display.
Old 30-11-14
Forum veteran

Just taken delivery of my under-£50 Windows 8.1 tablet. Makes my old favourite, my 9" Windows XP netbook, look chunky and a positive giant in comparison. I thought I'd never find a replacement for my netbook. Now I have. Crazy times.
Old 29-12-14
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops View Post
Interesting you mention 'More serious was a problem with long freezes after waking up and even at boot up which really concerned me'
I had that problem for a while with a dell. The boffins on the end of the phone hadn't got a clue so after a long and frustrating couple of weeks I changed my desktop for a PB with 8.1 ready installed. I haven't had one single problem since then.
Like JSR I have it programmed to go straight to desktop mode when booting up or/and waking up.
On booting up the monitor password request page comes up in 8 seconds and then I have a further 12 seconds after inserting password before its up and running.
To be fair the problem I had with the freezing wasn't Dell's fault in this case. I have now changed the SSD for a bigger and more up to date model and this solved the problem (OCZ Arc 100 240GB on special offer at Currys/PC World ). The old SSD drive was installed by me in the first place to substitute a conventional hard drive. It's possible the old SSD is faulty.

Ian
Old 29-12-14
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR View Post
I can't believe I've been using Windows 8 for almost two years now, but I can tell you one thing. The number of times I've used "tile mode" can be counted on one hand. I've used my touchscreen laptop as my main computer in all this time, but have barely used the touchscreen because I don't use "tile mode". I've been in desktop mode for the duration, having it boot straight into desktop mode when I switch on. For me, "tile mode" and the Microsoft Store have been completely unnecessary. I don't know how much extra bloat it requires, but I wish it was an "optional extra" that we could leave out if we wanted to.

In the last year, though, some odd things have been happening with Microsoft Windows. Their tablet-oriented Windows RT has pretty much been abandoned. If you want to buy Windows 8.1, it'll cost you 99.99 from Microsoft - but you can buy a tablet for under 50 that has Windows 8.1 on it. How bizarre is that? And the tablet might well come with Microsoft Office on it as well.

With "full-fat" Windows 8.1 on pocketable tablets, how soon before they throw Windows Phone OS out with Windows RT and put full Windows 8.1 on their phones? Then you'll be able to carry your whole computer in the palm of your hand. I would never have considered it a possibility, but these tablets make me think differently.
'Full fat' Windows 8.1 is running on small devices now because Intel has entered the low voltage/power CPU market with its Atom processors. Windows RT runs on ARM-based processors which dominate this sector. But there is no sign that Intel will become dominant at the expense of ARM and the finger-friendly aspect of Windows 8 and its app ecosystem is engineered to be hardware independent. It's not quite there yet (some less well written apps or some more complex apps are still not compatible with all versions of Windows) but in the end I believe you will see branding of Windows covering laptop, desktop, tablet and mobile devices regardless of hardware and without much distinction apart from the legacy desktop capability. It's already like this with Android, which runs seamlessly on both Intel Atom and ARM-based hardware.

Ian